Sign in to follow this  
craigderby

Senator or Olympus?

Hi folks, I'm after opinions please 

We've seen 2 caravans we like, a 2010 Senator Wyoming and a 2011 Olympus 624.

Both are ideal layouts for us, so no issues there.

I'm trying to decide which is the safest bet as we want about 5 years of use. On the face of it the alutech must the better option as damp should be less of an issue, but then I started reading stuff on here and it suggests they aren't always that good. Although a lot of problems sound like build issues, which will probably have been dealt with under warranty by now.

I've also seen a fair few comments that people were much happy with the build quality of pre alutech vans, but some time has passed now and age must be starting to take it's toll.

So any experiances or advice would be welcome.

We have a senator Louisiana and it is indeed very solidly built. We have been living in it permanently for 6 years so it’s certainly had a lot more wear and tear than some but it is holding up very well. The older senator had an issue with the front and back ABS panels cracking but this was sorted out post 2006 so you should be fine with the last of the line.

Ours is a 2005 and all the cupboards/doors/hinges etc are fine, the drawer and cupboard handles are useless and crack all the time as they are cheap plastic, you can get an identical metal handle in B&Q and replace the lot - then sell your old plastic ones for £2 a pop on eBay to all the other Senator owners which pays for half the replacements!

Other than that, its just the usual age related things like a battery charger/fridge sensor/gas fire igniter etc that I’ve fixed but you get that on any van of any make.

Can’t comment on the other one but you do read a lot about the alutech not being quite as waterproof as they should be.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sleepyfolk said:

We have a senator Louisiana and it is indeed very solidly built. We have been living in it permanently for 6 years so it’s certainly had a lot more wear and tear than some but it is holding up very well. The older senator had an issue with the front and back ABS panels cracking but this was sorted out post 2006 so you should be fine with the last of the line.

Ours is a 2005 and all the cupboards/doors/hinges etc are fine, the drawer and cupboard handles are useless and crack all the time as they are cheap plastic, you can get an identical metal handle in B&Q and replace the lot - then sell your old plastic ones for £2 a pop on eBay to all the other Senator owners which pays for half the replacements!

Other than that, its just the usual age related things like a battery charger/fridge sensor/gas fire igniter etc that I’ve fixed but you get that on any van of any make.

Can’t comment on the other one but you do read a lot about the alutech not being quite as waterproof as they should be.

Thank you for the reply, and information.

It certainly paints a very positive picture :Thankyou:

8 hours ago, craigderby said:

Thank you for the reply, and information.

It certainly paints a very positive picture :Thankyou:

I have a Senator Wyoming, it's certainly standing the test of time, nicely built, I did have a damp issue in the rear washroom but had that professionally repaired, it's a great, very comfortable caravan.

I've had both.

Olympus for me.

• Like 1

I regret selling our senator.

But it had new front and back panels after 2 years.  and a half awing reseal 3 years after that.  So make sure that any you buy is dry and make sure you damp test regularly.