Sign in to follow this  
Jacko1

Lexus Estate RX 450h

Am kind of thinking to change the Volvo whilst its still got some value.

Have gone through a list of whats available, what I fancy and what I can afford and have come up with a short list.

One of the choices is the Lexus RX450 hybrid (I am bit of a fan of the Toyota / Lexus hybrids) has anybody any experience, comments or thoughts?

I believe contributor Lutz used one for a while.

1 hour ago, Jacko1 said:

Am kind of thinking to change the Volvo whilst its still got some value.

Have gone through a list of whats available, what I fancy and what I can afford and have come up with a short list.

One of the choices is the Lexus RX450 hybrid (I am bit of a fan of the Toyota / Lexus hybrids) has anybody any experience, comments or thoughts?

No points on Toyota / Lexus Hybrid, just Hybrids in general, they really don't offer much by way of an advantage unless it's a plug in hybrid. The engine has the additional weight to carry around the only time it gains is when you're braking / slowing down it can recover a lot of the energy which can then be used to move you off again. We've just got an Outlander PHEV, as a Hybrid it's OK as an EV because of my wifes usage pattern it's brilliant. About 23 miles range on electric, she does 3.5 miles each way to work and a couple of trips out dancing through the week. We've had it just over a month and charging on Economy 7 tariff and fuel we've put its done the equivalent cost wise of 98 mpg which I'm happy with.
I have been looking round thinking of changing my Range Rover, I looked at the Lexus but with plug in facility I'll keep on looking.

36 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

I believe contributor Lutz used one for a while.

Yes, I towed an 1800kg single axle with an RX400h for over 6 years. It was a nice car. The biggest disadvantage was its relative thirst when towing, but solo and particular in town traffic when running a lot on electric only, it returned very respectable fuel consumption figures for its size and weight. A couple of further negative comments I would make about the RX400h, but I'm told they were resolved for the later RX450h, were the much too small starter battery (there simply wasn't enough space under the bonnet for a larger one) and its torque sensitive steering, especially when pulling away from traffic lights with the caravan on the back. (The starter battery was identical to the one in the Nissan Micra). Apart from that it was a very refined car and to a certain extent I'm sorry I parted with it.

1 hour ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

No points on Toyota / Lexus Hybrid, just Hybrids in general, they really don't offer much by way of an advantage unless it's a plug in hybrid. The engine has the additional weight to carry around the only time it gains is when you're braking / slowing down it can recover a lot of the energy which can then be used to move you off again. We've just got an Outlander PHEV, as a Hybrid it's OK as an EV because of my wifes usage pattern it's brilliant. About 23 miles range on electric, she does 3.5 miles each way to work and a couple of trips out dancing through the week. We've had it just over a month and charging on Economy 7 tariff and fuel we've put its done the equivalent cost wise of 98 mpg which I'm happy with.
I have been looking round thinking of changing my Range Rover, I looked at the Lexus but with plug in facility I'll keep on looking.

I already run a Toyota hybrid as my daily driver. I am really impressed with it and over 20k miles it was 60% electric which in my book is ok and of course I don’t have the faff of plugging it in the dark and rain!!

37 minutes ago, Lutz said:

Yes, I towed an 1800kg single axle with an RX400h for over 6 years. It was a nice car. The biggest disadvantage was its relative thirst when towing, but solo and particular in town traffic when running a lot on electric only, it returned very respectable fuel consumption figures for its size and weight. A couple of further negative comments I would make about the RX400h, but I'm told they were resolved for the later RX450h, were the much too small starter battery (there simply wasn't enough space under the bonnet for a larger one) and its torque sensitive steering, especially when pulling away from traffic lights with the caravan on the back. (The starter battery was identical to the one in the Nissan Micra). Apart from that it was a very refined car and to a certain extent I'm sorry I parted with it.

I drove one today and really liked it, but!!! Was not sure about the steering so you have kinda answered my concerns , will take OH to have a drive over the weekend, they are not cheap so want to be sure. Otherwise maybe just get a newer XC60

1 hour ago, Jacko1 said:

I already run a Toyota hybrid as my daily driver. I am really impressed with it and over 20k miles it was 60% electric which in my book is ok and of course I don’t have the faff of plugging it in the dark and rain!!

Using petrol to generate electricity is expensive compared to mains power. If it works for you that’s great.

good luck!

9 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Using petrol to generate electricity is expensive compared to mains power. If it works for you that’s great.

good luck!

That might create a certain misunderstanding.

The difference between petrol from the pump generated electricity versus oil / gas generated electricity on the grid is entirely due to government taxation policy.

There is a certain elegance of a hybrid vehicle only having electric motors and a simple electricity petrol generator. Think of the energy savings not manufacturing an ICE.

Electric propelled cars are inherently far simpler.

Edited by PandR

3 hours ago, Lutz said:

Yes, I towed an 1800kg single axle with an RX400h for over 6 years. It was a nice car.

I have owned and towed with both an RX400 and an RX450.

Both very capable tow cars in their own way.

The RX 450 was streets ahead of the RX400 in size, space and technology.

If you planted your right foot there was little torque steer, but if you did it whilst pulling out to overtake, the rear motor tried to step the rear end out, nothing onerous but something you had to adjust to.

Returned about 32 - 35 mpg solo and about 24 -26 towing a 1600kg caravan.

You did have to be careful on site as even the ducks couldn’t hear you approaching on just batteries.

21 hours ago, PandR said:

The difference between petrol from the pump generated electricity versus oil / gas generated electricity on the grid is entirely due to government taxation policy.

And the end user with a 'self charging hybrid' without the faff of plugging it in is paying exactly that, all of the taxation and as I said, it's a very expensive way of charging batteries. Our PHEV charges overnight at  8.89p per Kwh which gives us 2.4p per mile fuel cost.  Petrol generators can manage around 5.7 Kw per gallon which equates to £1 per Kwh. Add to this inefficiency the additional load the car is carrying as in batteries and electric motor it's fuel efficiency is doomed except for the regen braking which does help.

There is a certain elegance of a hybrid vehicle only having electric motors and a simple electricity petrol generator. Think of the energy savings not manufacturing an ICE.

Is the petrol generator not driven by an ICE?

Electric propelled cars are inherently far simpler.

I agree 100% with this, most hybrids however have complex transmission systems often allowing the engine to drive the generator, wheels of both (our Mitsubishi does this) selecting whats it needs etc in real time.

OK so, have really looked into this RX450 business, my budget would get me into a MY 17 car. Have just discovered that after MY15 there is NO aftermarket towbar available and nobody can tell me why, is it technical or volume related?.

The only option is OEM fit at factory and from what I can see a MY17 car with a factory fit towbar is about as rare as rocking horse doo doo....

Sat here now waiting for a few 'told you so' comments......:P

Still dont fancy a plug in job, so its back to a dirty diesel option.

32 minutes ago, Jacko1 said:

OK so, have really looked into this RX450 business, my budget would get me into a MY 17 car. Have just discovered that after MY15 there is NO aftermarket towbar available and nobody can tell me why, is it technical or volume related?.

The only option is OEM fit at factory and from what I can see a MY17 car with a factory fit towbar is about as rare as rocking horse doo doo....

Sat here now waiting for a few 'told you so' comments......:P

Still dont fancy a plug in job, so its back to a dirty diesel option.

Here's a response from an RX450h owner in the Lexus Owner's Forum which may be of help:

grafik.thumb.png.b660d11b4aef0b1bff982dbb4ee4ed1d.png