Sign in to follow this  
Fenester

Caravaning Instructors (Winchester)

Just to let members  know that the Caravan  and Motorhome Courses

(Caravans and Motorhome Maneuvering ), run at Sparsholt college near Winchester, are looking for additional instructors for the 2020 schedule.

Edited by Fenester

Anyone in Hampshire interested in joining the Caravan and Motorhome Club instructor team?

Edited by Fenester

Professionally qualified driving instructors already run courses up to B+E test standard - that's individual one to one tuition, and it includes on the road driving , not just pootling around a College car park,  where most of the time is spent as one  of a group standing around watching others .

Although not based down south, I needed to know how to tow a caravan (or more to the point, to gain my confidence in towing).  I was looking for a towing course back in May so I could take my hubby (who usually tows) out, as he's been in hospital, and thought that I could do it whilst he gets his strength back.  Anyway, when I looked at the dates (this is based in Macclesfield, Cheshire), the next course wasn't until September.  The courses are actually run privately.  Anyway, I contacted the firm who dealt with them, and explained that I didn't need to do the full course as I knew how to spread the load, and everything else, etc, I just wanted to gain confidence of towing a caravan.  Anyway, he said would 13 July be ok.  I said yes, and it was only for 4 hours towing and nothing else.  Perfect.  I arrived on the dot, hitched up the caravan (they supply one), and had an intense 4 hour drive.  He took me onto the M6, including pulling in at Knutsford Services.  Then carried on to come off on the M56 at Hale, then through Congleton, Wilmslow and Macclesfield town centres.  He then took me onto an industrial site (Saturday, so everything was quiet), and did reversing.  After I'd completed it all, he said if I'd gone through with the CMC, and because it involves how to load a caravan, etc, I'd be lucky to have an hour actually towing.  And the ratio of learners/tutors was 2 tutors to 6 people.  So I actually did the correct thing.  Oh, and it was a lot cheaper than the CMC.  Anyway, the sad part for me was that my hubby never came out of hospital, he sadly died in August:(.  But I'm not wasting my course, I will be out next year with my cat:)

Babs, may we enquire how much this course costed as it sounds like an excellent towing course?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

On 20/11/2019 at 09:03, moorgate said:

Professionally qualified driving instructors already run courses up to B+E test standard - that's individual one to one tuition, and it includes on the road driving , not just pootling around a College car park,  where most of the time is spent as one  of a group standing around watching others .

That was a little harsh.