We use Ferry Meadows and only for Christmas, as we enjoy the vast amount of walks without using our car. We stopped using this site for a few years due to the ever increasing costs, for no improvements to pitch or flooding of roads which were dangerous when frozen, I even complained to the club and managed to discuss my issues with the then site manager of the area. So will be interesting to see if my concerns have been addressed as that was 4 years ago as we used CLs but found their locations for the walking in very wet periods were not very good. I feel left out as I have not had this email ūü§Ēūüė≠ūüė≠

Edited by kiaboy

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only reason I'm a member is for access to the CL network and Mayday breakdown cover.

Thought they were far too expensive before the increase, stopped using CMC ages ago, now use private sites and C&CC, benefiting with the age concession. 

Posted Images

While I agree that the CMC prices are quite high for some sites e.g. Barnard Castle, a lovely site in a great location with a fab dog walking field, we have stopped going due to the cost. However there are loads of CMC sites that are more sensibly priced so we use them. Also many of the commercial sites are mega bucks now check out Skelwith Fold near Ambleside again a site we have used often but now refuse to pay upwards of £40 per night. So I guess what I'm saying is if you don't like the prices go elsewhere. But you won't get the flexibility of the CMC.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/uk-holidays/useful-information/price-guide/price-increase-faqs/

I have just been on the cc site and I compared this year's prices with next year's prices ( as I have the price book )  and looking at my favourite sites, they have already increase the prices by around £1.50 a night.   So it looks like they are doing the same as last year and having  2  price rises, however whereas  this year they honoured the old price if you booked early, next year it will only be in part. 

IMO they are charging above  a lot of the commercial sites or I am finding that the commercial sites are often offering more facilities  so  I will definitely be trying out other sites next year. 

14 minutes ago, Omega54 said:

Also many of the commercial sites are mega bucks now check out Skelwith Fold near Ambleside again a site we have used often but now refuse to pay upwards of £40 per night. So I guess what I'm saying is if you don't like the prices go elsewhere. But you won't get the flexibility of the CMC.

Like France where the site costs are about half that! 

Andy

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

1 minute ago, Mr Plodd said:

Like France where the site costs are about half that! 

Andy

Very true if using ACSI however I am wondering if any one has tried using their ACSI membership in the UK?  We have found in the UK many good commercial sites with more facilities and they are priced lower than the CMC.  Many of them also have more fully services pitches than any CMC site. 

Overall I am not sure that France is any cheaper than the UK when you take into consideration cost of goods like food, fuel and ferry crossing however it is a lot more pleasant especially as very few places charge for parking on the beach.  :D

Any company will keep increasing their prices until they see their profits tailing off, at which point they will delay any further increase. It’s simple business sense and certainly what I would do.

Of course the SIZE of any increase is another matter entirely. For my part I think the CMC sites whilst being certainly all ‚ÄúUp to a standard‚ÄĚ they are very much at the ‚Äútop end‚ÄĚ when it comes to price structure ( but not at the pinnacle by any means)¬†

We are all able to research site prices, both CMC and privately operated, from the comfort of our armchairs and choose what we are happy to pay. So we have two choices, Put up, or shut up! 

We will use CMC sites as transit camps when travelling, but not for longer stays. That’s for two basic reasons. 

1. Cost

2. The highly regimented way some sites are operated. 

Having said that there certainly IS something very pleasant about a fully heated toilet block when it’s a bit chilly isn’t there? 

Andy

5 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Very true if using ACSI however I am wondering if any one has tried using their ACSI membership in the UK?  We have found in the UK many good commercial sites with more facilities and they are priced lower than the CMC.  Many of them also have more fully services pitches than any CMC site. 

:D

I have certainly used UK ACSI sites, one actually worked out the ‚ā¨ to ¬£ conversion rate when I booked and charged me the CONVERTED Euro to pound rate rather than just calling¬†¬†the ‚ā¨20 rate¬†as ¬£20

Andy

• Like 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

The only reason I'm a member is for access to the CL network and Mayday breakdown cover.

Yep -- me too,  !

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

14 hours ago, Yes Dear said:

I`m only a member for the breakdown cover, i have tried booking in the past and after negotiating the web site, it worked out too expensive. 

SSSH dont tell the CMC I  WAS a member and cancelled at the renewal due to my experience of Hillhead Site, ( go and walk around the 2.5miles of the site find a pitch and report back) I also used them for breakdown cover and told Greenflag on renewal, they weren't bothered whether or not I was a CMC member. Oh and I can still login to their website.

Mazda CX5 2.2d auto 184bhp Ace Supreme Twinstar TA

mazda cx5 icon.jpg

The last price rise was not a lot. I was wrongly charged the new price at a couple of sites last year. I checked and collected under 60p or less at both sites for our 5 night stays as two adults and dropped the money into a charity box on site.

I don't want a good site as such. I want a good network of sites. I don't 'go to a site' I go to an area for a 5 night stay and move on. I rarely find much difference in site prices compared to commercial sites at the times we travel. I do not frequently revisit sites, don't want 'more facilities' and know I will get a suitable standard for me. I do use C&CC sites as a second choice as well as some commercials. C&CC work out cheaper with our age discount but remain second choice.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

23 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I have certainly used UK ACSI sites, one actually worked out the ‚ā¨ to ¬£ conversion rate when I booked and charged me the CONVERTED Euro to pound rate rather than just calling¬†¬†the ‚ā¨20 rate¬†as ¬£20

Andy

Interesting Andy and thanks for the update.  We have not been able to take advantage of being an ACSI member in the past year however hopefully next year.  :D

We have been members of both clubs for "donkeys years". We use CL's and CS's and we use Club Sites, choosing from what is available at the time. Our preference is simple CL's without facilities. Ferry discounts seem to be better this and last year than previously. These are the reasons we keep paying our membership.  

• I agree completely 2

Ern

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Like France

lol

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

Hi

And of course we can expect a rise in subscriptions for the fourth comming year. If you look at the yearly accounts in last months magazine it states that membership and site occupancy is down. I wonder if this trend may continue with the club's pricing policy

Sandy

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, oldboy said:

Some people Talk about more facility, me a nice quiet clean site with clean shower block and plenty hot water for a shower is the only facility I need.

Sooner have just EHU, good views and short grass with of course water tap and Chem empty point and use on board facilities.  But I do wonder when club sites are going to say the hike in prices are to cover EV points for the future? I have not yet seen or spoken to any CL owners that are thinking of installing EV points. Only seen signs saying no charging of any vehicles, and get this no mobility scooters unless the owners of scooters let the CL owners know, so they can increase the nightly fees  

Edited by kiaboy

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

https://www.haven.com/search-results/touring?type=Tourer&park=PS&arrivalDate=2020-08-01&stayDuration=7&adults=2&children=2&tots=0&dogs=0&length=8.2&hasAwning=true&region=CORNWALL

I still think (even with a price increase) that CMC aren't that expensive, take UK Commercial site Haven, their touring facilities aren't as good as CMC sites (and I speak from personal experience) and they want £560 a week in the summer (£630 a week for a fully serviced Euro Pitch).

How much is the most expensive CMC pitch/site in the high season (serious question) for a family on a serviced pitch?

40 Quid a night?

I'd happily pay that, clean well maintained facilities, tidy site and my favourite................regimentation! brilliant :)

Commercial sites (such as Haven) = Chavs drinking lager for breakfast, grim!

Edited by Borussia 1900

8 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

https://www.haven.com/search-results/touring?type=Tourer&park=PS&arrivalDate=2020-08-01&stayDuration=7&adults=2&children=2&tots=0&dogs=0&length=8.2&hasAwning=true&region=CORNWALL

I still think (even with a price increase) that CMC aren't that expensive, take UK Commercial site Haven, their touring facilities aren't as good as CMC sites (and I speak from personal experience) and they want £560 a week in the summer (£630 a week for a fully serviced Euro Pitch).

Link not a very good example as cc sites prices  as they don't include entertainment.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

How much is the most expensive CMC pitch/site in the high season (serious question) for a family on a serviced pitch?

40 Quid a night?

I'd happily pay that, clean well maintained facilities, tidy site and my favourite................regimentation! brilliant :)

Commercial sites (such as Haven) = Chavs drinking lager for breakfast, grim!

Haven prices aren't typical for UK commercials so an invalid comparison.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

12 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Well I've been to 2, they were both commercial, both in the UK, both overpriced and both disappointing. Won't be going to another one.

16 minutes ago, kiaboy said:

Link not a very good example as cc sites prices  as they don't include entertainment.

I wouldn't call it entertainment.

https://pentewan.co.uk/downloads/pentewan-sands-brochure-2020-camping-touring-tariff.pdf

Not cheap either.

I've never been on a CL site or one of these cheap commercial sites, are we just taking about a farmers field here?

I have to go on sites with decent facilities when I bring my caravan to the UK as like most continental caravans I don't have a shower or leisure battery system in my caravan, and 'solids' are not allowed in our on-board toilet. The good thing about CMC sites (for me) is that I know they will be of a good standard and will have decent facilities.

Edited by Borussia 1900
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

What is a typical commercial site? for 2 adults + EHU the highest I have paid is £45 per pitch and the lowest standard site £25 per pitch some of them will charge extra for awning, dog etc. 

Edited by Guest
4 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

That's the ONLY reason I am a member, the discounts I get booking the Tunnel and Ferries with them justifies the Annual subscription fee.

Have you tried using their new booking system? IMHO the old one was a lot easier to use.  If you have a twin axle you cannot book Online any more.

We are members of both "clubs" but dropped out of using sites some years ago -- our prefered is a T.H.S.  this year the lowest price we paid was £5 for a field , cold water tap & chem emptying point. Do use C/L & C/S's found one this year in Scotland -E.H.U, toilet(  washing machine & shower extra charge ) £10 a night.

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

When we got back into caravanning after a 7 year gap I was surprised at the cost for CMC pitches these days.

Holgates Silverdale currently charge £39 per night for full service pitches based on two adults, pets / awnings included. 

The site and pitches are similar to CMC sites in that area, and  price for the equivalent pitch on a CMC is similar, but they have a leisure centre / spa / pool / shop / restaurant ( no entertainment).  you get a bit more for your money and the shower blocks are superb.

Their booking system isn't as flexible as the CMC but then you don't pay an annual subscription. Swings and roundabouts really, the CMC gives more choice, and if their sites are used often I suggest the subscription fee is worth it.