Hi,

Just had Email from the caravan club regarding next years site fees ,guess what ---they are going up......

image.png

• Haha 2

They don’t seem to have said by how much though - no percentage increase is quoted.

John

I got that too............ “dear member, we’re rob dogs so we’re putting our prices up 😛

• Haha 2

Well. If I've sussed this correctly, Hillhead standard pricing has gone up from 6.30 per person to 7.40 per person and a standard pitch from 3.60 to 4.30.

Rough Maths is a 17.5 percent increase per person and 19 percent for a pitch.

That's no small increase at all.

Certainly utility charges haven't advanced by those kind of numbers.

51 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

They don’t seem to have said by how much though - no percentage increase is quoted.

John

I wonder why? Would a small increase be considered something akin to 1 or 2 percent?

Yep got it as well, will certainly have to think about membership when it comes up for renewal.

Got to pay for those final salary pensions somehow!

• +1 1

Thought they were far too expensive before the increase, stopped using CMC ages ago, now use private sites and C&CC, benefiting with the age concession. 

Edited by Toein
  • Like 1
  • +1 1

I`m only a member for the breakdown cover, i have tried booking in the past and after negotiating the web site, it worked out too expensive. 

• +1 1

I used to keep it for the insurance but dropped that so now the membership will be considered .

Earlier in the year I went to book a site on CMC for 23 nights  but a family run private site in the area was 120 cheaper and a service pitch a big saving .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

7 minutes ago, Tigger said:

Got to pay for those final salary pensions somehow!

Hadn't realised they were a pension company with a sideline of renting parcels of a field!!!

These look like eye watering increases and whilst I've thought the CMC a decent company, there's nothing like a 20 percent price increase to p me off.

And whilst invariably well cleaned, my general perception is that many of the sites require significant investment.

9 minutes ago, PandR said:

Hadn't realised they were a pension company with a sideline of renting parcels of a field!!!

These look like eye watering increases and whilst I've thought the CMC a decent company, there's nothing like a 20 percent price increase to p me off.

And whilst invariably well cleaned, my general perception is that many of the sites require significant investment.

I think you have got this wrong. For the same period of time this year, i.e. March 2019 the adult per person price was £7.10 and for the same period in 2020, i.e. March 2020 the price is £7.30 - a difference of 20p which is a 3% increase. 

No, I don't see that the increases are necessary at all myself but being fair  to the CMC the increase is nowhere near what you imply.

Alan

5 minutes ago, AlanS said:

I think you have got this wrong. For the same period of time this year, i.e. March 2019 the adult per person price was £7.10 and for the same period in 2020, i.e. March 2020 the price is £7.30 - a difference of 20p which is a 3% increase. 

No, I don't see that the increases are necessary at all myself but being fair  to the CMC the increase is nowhere near what you imply.

Alan

Oh. I hope so...

It's not easy to figure out because the website doesn't show an entire years pricing but Hillhead is predominantly 6.30 per person until nearer Christmas and 7.40 appears the cheapest in 2020.

But like I said originally, maybe I'm missing something...

Edited by PandR

Seeing as most wardens I think only earn minimum wage, I wonder what their biggest overheads are?

Land purchase

Ground rent

Building & ground maintenance

Insurance

1 hour ago, LeadFarmer said:

Seeing as most wardens I think only earn minimum wage, I wonder what their biggest overheads are?

Land purchase

Ground rent

Insurance

Senior managment wages ?

• +1 2

2 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Land purchase

Ground rent

Insurance

Aren't most (all?) sites run as concessions thus the site folks are self employed?

1 hour ago, daveat92 said:

Aren't most (all?) sites run as concessions thus the site folks are self employed?

Dont think so, I have friends who were assistant wardens and they were employed by the club

The prices do seem to be getting to a point where people feel they are extraordinarily high. You can go more and more to many private sites that are cheaper, cleaner and offer better facilities.

Quickest way to reverse this is to all vote with our feet and NOT renew membership

On the same lines the few times we have used CMC sites recently the sites have been very empty wit the exception of bank holidays when they tend to be full

Will the price increase free up pitch on the very popular site? I doubt it.

• Confused 1

It looks as if they are pricing themselves out of the market, sites are cheaper at CCC/Commercial and obviously Cl's, but I bet CL's will put their prices up based on the CMC announcement.

As far as I am concerned I will be comparing prices more diligently in future 

One place CMC membership pays is on Brittany Ferries. On most of their routes (out of peak season) caravans go for free. For example with BF Club Voyage the cost of Poole -Cherbourg on 1st May for car +caravan+2 is around the £130 mark.

Book via CMC and it’s only £85 :o 

So the CMC membership is worthwhile JUST for the cheap ferry crossings. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 1

We always are away for the weekend gone, to get away from the Fireworks(very nervous dogs).

In the past have always used a CMC site but this year have used a CL at £12/night. Over 50% less, just had to use own shower which is perfectly adequate.

From my perspective, the annual Caravan Club site fee increase at a higher rate than inflation or other commercial sites seems to have been going on for three decades - I gave up using club sites in the late '90s because they were no cheaper than commercials and far too regimented in layout, predictably all the same so you could be anywhere.

From a business point of view, Caravan Club pricing is right - with high site occupancy they'll keep increasing it until it does affect site occupancy.

42 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

So the CMC membership is worthwhile JUST for the cheap ferry crossings. 

That's the ONLY reason I am a member, the discounts I get booking the Tunnel and Ferries with them justifies the Annual subscription fee.

Just now, Borussia 1900 said:

That's the ONLY reason I am a member, the discounts I get booking the Tunnel and Ferries with them justifies the Annual subscription fee.

The only reason I'm a member is for access to the CL network and Mayday breakdown cover.

• +1 5

9 hours ago, daveat92 said:

Many of the C&CC sites operate that way, but CMC sites are either owned by the Club, Management Agreement (generally the racecourse sites) or Affiliated sites.

If you are able to plan for  next year and book before 19 November, price increase doesn’t apply to most of the year.

Edited by hp100425ev