Sign in to follow this  
Aileen Peretto

Winterising my static

My first static Caravan and first drain down for winter. Questions please if anyone can help..

1. Once drain down done can you leave Ariston Combi heating on at low temperature (5 degs) if water turned off ? Is it a sealed unit (as it hasn’t been drained) and has antifreeze in it to cope with minus 17 deg. System is on auto so again assume sensor will detect outside temp and kick heating in for radiators only and not fire up hot water ? 

2.  I have installed Floë 868 system so when draining down do I need to open and leave open the Caravan Drain down valves under the Caravan ? Or can they be left shut so I don’t have to crawl under to open and close ?

Input appreciated

On the boiler check the water pressure on it is high enough before turning off the mains water in case it needs topping up. It should have  a pressure gauge on it somewhere. Leaving it at 5°C might be a bit low, see if there is anything in your insurance that specifies a temperature. If there is a room thermostat check if it has a battery and that it  does not need replacing. The boiler should be ok running the heating but you can always check its handbook - if you do not have one these can often be found on the manufacturer's website.

If the bath and shower have thermostatic controls the water connections might need slackening to drain them. Once the toilet cistern is drained/flushed empty, either put anti freeze in the toilet bowl or add quite a bit of salt to lower the water freezing point - this is just in case the boiler/heating stops working.

Have not used the Floe drain system but as a rule leaving drain valves open lets any residual water that might run down to drain away. Any inside taps should be left open and a shower hose disconnected so the spray head drains.

If your are leaving the heating on and you are on bottled gas suggest you connect a new bottle before closing the van up for the winter. Also many sites use the closed period to carry out maintenance /upgrading on the site and may shut off the electricity for periods. If the boileris left on will it reset automatically when power is resumed?

As per Paul 1957 advises disconnect the thermostatic shower valve as the cassette will not drain completely if left connected, would also advise putting anti freeze in sink u and shower bends, particularly the shower u bend as this will be outside the van under the shower tray and is susceptible to freezing. Switch off fridge/freezer and leave door(s) open, I also leave the oven door open.

Pull cushion seating and any mattresses away from the outside walls to prevent moisture/damp as these outside walls will be at a lower temp than the cushions/mattresses.