Hello all, very new to caravans. Like bought one yesterday new. Have not really got any idea what I've let myself in for. 

So please be patient with me and I apologise in ad advance for the spelling and the stupid quetions. 

So here comes the fist of what will be many questions..... 

The cvan I have bought has a tow hitch on it that has albe stamped on it? I want to find a stabiliser I can use with my cars tow bar that I know is comoatable with alko friction type. 

I'm my blissful ignorance I thought "I'll just swap the hitch on the cvan." (from albe to alko).  But after a look on line the alko looks like it has 2 bolts the one on the cvan also has 2 but one horizontal to the ground (left to right) and one vertical (up and down). With out takining it off to see if the holes are there for 2 horizontal bolts, can anyone help please? 

:welcome: to caravan Talk Mc.

Please note there is no such thing as a stupid question on this Forum.

You have plenty of reading to do. Click HERE for starters.

To help even more click HERE which contains lots of tips to make caravanning life a darn sight easier.

Best of luck,

Pete

Cheers Pete,

I will get on with it and see if I can make head or tail of my caravan. 

Thanks 

Peter

Firstly, welcome to Caravan Talk.

Regarding your tow hitch, since you say the mounting bolts are at right angles I suspect you probably have one of the first two hitches illustrated below but I cannot say whether the drawbar shaft is able to accept a hitch with parallel mounting bolts as that is the mounting system that the Al-Ko stabilising hitches employ.

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Before being able to recommend a stabiliser we really need to know the style of tow ball on your car. You say it is compatible with an Al-Ko stabilising hitch, it will therefore have to be either a swan neck design or an Al-Ko specific flange type with extended neck for the towball.

A couple of pictures of the hitch and towball would be useful.

Gordon.

post some photos.

The cheapest way to get a stabiliser is to fit a sprung leaf type one, such as a Snakemaster

https://www.towsure.com/snakemaster-quick-release-stabiliser?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtf_tBRDtARIsAIbAKe27hj2ruXBdlTQGnWZEk80b5yA1Doza4FX1xvIQTnan-3FD-0UAceAaAoPfEALw_wcB

Edited by daveat92

1 hour ago, daveat92 said:

post some photos.

The cheapest way to get a stabiliser is to fit a sprung leaf type one, such as a Snakemaster

Very true but we need to establish the towball style as the mountings will differ, before recommending any particular side spring stabiliser.

Gordon.

The caravan appears to be a 5 berth Elddis Crown Sceptre so probably quite old.  Probably late nineties. A photo of the hitch would help as some have have had the ALKO 3004 hitch fitted

10 hours ago, Gordon said:

Firstly, welcome to Caravan Talk.

Regarding your tow hitch, since you say the mounting bolts are at right angles I suspect you probably have one of the first two hitches illustrated below but I cannot say whether the drawbar shaft is able to accept a hitch with parallel mounting bolts as that is the mounting system that the Al-Ko stabilising hitches employ.

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Before being able to recommend a stabiliser we really need to know the style of tow ball on your car. You say it is compatible with an Al-Ko stabilising hitch, it will therefore have to be either a swan neck design or an Al-Ko specific flange type with extended neck for the towball.

A couple of pictures of the hitch and towball would be useful.

Gordon.

Hi Gordon. Here is pics of both parts. Should make more sense now I hope. 

Pete

Hitch.jpg

_20191104_220329.JPG

If you do a search on like for your caravan you will see plenty of them with the ALKO hitch fitted so it can be done and is probably the best way forward.  BTW does the car have a 13 pin electrical socket as I can only see one socket?

Hi Pete,

Taking the two pictures in turn, I see you have the pressed steel version with, as you stated, the 90 deg bolt offset, and a swan neck tow hitch.

Not knowing whether a standard friction hitch can be fitted as a direct replacement of the hitch, the only suggestion I have is to pull back the rubber gaiter behind the hitch to see if there is a second horizontal hole through the shaft - I suspect however that there will not be one as this would probably weaken the shaft too much (as it would be very close to the vertical hole).

The alternative, as previously suggested by others,  would be to use a side blade stabiliser that while not as fashionable as they used to be, still provide friction to lateral movement, and spring assistance to counteract vertical movement. These require a side fitting to be clamped to the caravan's A-frame, and a second clamp to be attached around the swan neck shaft of the towball. It is not recommended to drill the A-Frame to fit a side mount.

image.png 

A Durbanite highlights, you appear to have just one 12N electrical socket on your towcar. This will be fine to run the caravan's lights but a second (12S) socket will be required if you wish to power accessories, such as fridge, battery charging etc. The alternative being to replace the single 12N socket with a 13 pin socket that can be wired to power all road lights and caravan equipment - but of course the caravan would then need to have a matching plug fitted.

Gordon