Sign in to follow this  
pattojones

First time out.....all fine but no water!

So the good lady and I just got home after our first night away in our caravan. We’ve had it since early August but with trips to see her sister in Canada and having it in to a caravan repair place to change the battery locker and check seals (see other thread.... frame is pretty rotten) we have only just got round to using it.

We only went 30 mins away to Broadway in Worcestershire. Got it all set up easy enough but I just couldn’t get the Truma Ultrastore water heater to fill. Drain valve was closed (lay flat, not upright), tap open, pump switched on in van..... nothing. No noise from pump.

On our way home I called in to a caravan place in Alcester and they checked the pump on a battery in store and it worked faultlessly.

Fuse looks intact so I am unsure what to look at next? Please help!! I should say that I saw it all running a couple of months back and after a short while hot water came from the tap.

Edited by pattojones

Multimeter will aid diagnosis by finding if 12V is reaching the pump connections.

Starting at the 12V power source (PSU and charger-leisure battery if fitted) and working methodically via switch and fuseboard.

Fuses can look intact but have a break or make a highly resistive connection.  Multimeter will check.

Switches can fail so although in 'on' position no voltage/current is passed.

Wires can break or come out of connections... e.g. where the pump plugs into the water inlet.  If there's a pressure switch it may be stuck open and so prevent the pump running .

If not confident in doing such things a caravan service place (mobile or fixed) will need paying to do so.

If it worked on a battery at  Broad Lane but does not work on your battery is your battery duff

36 minutes ago, g7eor said:

If it worked on a battery at  Broad Lane but does not work on your battery is your battery duff

No leisure battery is fully charged and worked the motor mover this morning after no water last night.

Assuming it's an external pump do the contacts outside where it plugs in need a clean?

1 minute ago, Easy T said:

Assuming it's an external pump do the contacts outside where it plugs in need a clean?

This is my next try but thanks.

Er, is the pump switched on?

13 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

Er, is the pump switched on?

Yup