Organman

Stolen Bailey Pegasus Grande

Just had this posted on FB.

bill palmer caravan.jpg

Wait until you get your insurance quote for your new 'van.  Its eye watering, and you are the victim, although insurance companies think you staged it all

So suppose we see the van and ring the police - who do we say it belongs to? :unsure:

Lurkio

2 hours ago, Lurkio said:

So suppose we see the van and ring the police - who do we say it belongs to? :unsure:

Lurkio

On the image it is  Bill Palmer from Dronfield in Sheffield, he is on FB.

What if we see this caravan (or the same model) on a site or being towed? What do we  do? How can you tell a caravan owned by someone and the same van in the hands of thiefs?

Go up to the window and check the serial number? That'll go down well. And hardly anyone with a van that gets stolen ever gives the van serial number.

4 hours ago, Organman said:

On the image it is  Bill Palmer from Dronfield in Sheffield, he is on FB.

I don't want to sound negative but I do not use Facebook, I don't know anybody called Bill Palmer and how am I expected to know someone I do not know is from Dronfield if your quotation simply says, "Stolen South Sheffield"?

I therefore repeat my previous posting below:-

7 hours ago, Lurkio said:

I would be happy to keep an eye out for you (or Bill Palmer) but you really do have to give a bit more information than you have. Maybe a crime number, or local police station telephone number to call would help???

Lurkio

8 hours ago, Lurkio said:

Lurkio

You don't need anymore detail than you suspect it could be a stolen caravan that has been circulated on social media. The police will know if it's the stolen one and if so who the lawful owner is immediately after arriving and checking the VIN on the Police National Computer on which a stolen record was created as soon as the theft was reported.

Edited by Legal Eagle
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

You don't need anymore detail than you suspect it could be a stolen caravan that has been circulated on social media. 

So if I ring up any police station and say that I've seen a white caravan with red reflectors on the back that was on Facebook and I think it has been stolen, they're going to take me seriously?

Sorry but I think we'll have to disagree on that point.

Lurkio

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • +1 1

52 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

You don't need anymore detail than you suspect it could be a stolen caravan that has been circulated on social media. The police will know if it's the stolen one and if so who the lawful owner is immediately after arriving and checking the VIN on the Police National Computer on which a stolen record was created as soon as the theft was reported.

Excuse me? Are the police even gonna log the call let alone check anything.

Arriving? The van will have rotted away before they turn up!!

Dream on.

Edited by PandR
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • +1 1

Either in a container ready to be shipped abroad or knowingly passed from person to person never being insured or serviced and unless stopped by police never found .

I wonder how many of the new vin chips that can be read by police without stopping the caravan are working ?

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Either in a container ready to be shipped abroad or knowingly passed from person to person never being insured or serviced and unless stopped by police never found .

I wonder how many of the new vin chips that can be read by police without stopping the caravan are working ?

Dave

Surely more likely to be parked up at some traveller location?

(And that's not what I typed! Something "fishey" going on)

Edited by PandR
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lurkio said:

So if I ring up any police station and say that I've seen a white caravan with red reflectors on the back that was on Facebook and I think it has been stolen, they're going to take me seriously?

Sorry but I think we'll have to disagree on that point.

Lurkio

You asked a question and in the spirit of the forum I tried to answer it for you. In future I won't bother.

2 hours ago, PandR said:

Excuse me? Are the police even gonna log the call let alone check anything.

Arriving? The van will have rotted away before they turn up!!

Dream on.

Cynical responses like yours deter genuine desires to help forum members. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • +1 2

Cynical or realistic?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, PandR said:

Cynical or realistic?

It isn't just what you say, it's how you say it.

Whether you believe there will be a response or not is immaterial to the original query posed. I just tried to clarify that the owner's details would not be required to report a sighting and why. That isn't a dream it's a fact. Unfortunately both the poster who raised the query and you felt it necessary to throw that back. At least now I know not to bother again.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

A polite query:

I'm sure I have read that new caravans have a hidden datatag which can only be read with the appropriate scanner?

But I'm also guessing that a thief would know how to:

1.Remove it...and

2.Grind off serial numbers.

9 hours ago, Legal Eagle said:

You asked a question and in the spirit of the forum I tried to answer it for you. In future I won't bother.

9 hours ago, Legal Eagle said:

It isn't just what you say, it's how you say it.

At least now I know not to bother again.

I appear to have touched a nerve - so for that I apologise as that was not my intention. 

I still believe that with only tenuous information, my report of seeing a suspected stolen caravan, without a unique reference number of some kind, there would be no obvious association with the particular caravan in question. Hence my thought that calling a specific telephone number local to the theft, or better still having a crime number, would collate my report with others relating to the same incident.  

Lurkio

• Like 2
  • +1 1

12 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Dave

Those VIN chips do not have their own power supply (battery) so they are totally passive. They can only be read by a dedicated scanner that’s placed in VERY close proximity so that it can induce a small current in the chip to enable it’s unique number can be “read” by the scanner. If you look at the blurb for all of these devices and read what it actually  says about them none of them claim they can be read whilst the vehicle is in motion, although that’s the impression the clever wording gives

If such chips WERE able to be read by roadside scanners they would be fitted into cars, motorbikes, plant machinery etc, in fact just about anything that could be stolen and moved by road. 

So please don’t put that much faith in them. Also the crooks knows EXACTLY where they are located because caravan manufacturers tell everyone, so they are easy to damage/remove.

Whoever stole this caravan clearly wasn’t an amateur so the chances of it ever coming to light are pretty remote as they will know how to remove its identity.

Andy

The OP states in his quote the tracker etc was ripped out, That in it self says someone knows what they are doing. But if it is a Phantom tracker and alarm, then I from experience know that if the alarm was triggered, Phantom are onto the owners within seconds, I only found my tracker location by accident whilst doing some installations, even Phantom don't know where they are located when fitted by caravan manufacturers, so the alarm must not have been activated, or the tracker subscription had not been renewed. Feel sorry for the owners, these vans are not cheap. Lets hope it is recovered, but my thoughts are it is well and truly gone.  

1 hour ago, kiaboy said:

The OP states in his quote the tracker etc was ripped out, That in it self says someone knows what they are doing. But if it is a Phantom tracker and alarm, then I from experience know that if the alarm was triggered, Phantom are onto the owners within seconds, I only found my tracker location by accident whilst doing some installations, even Phantom don't know where they are located when fitted by caravan manufacturers, so the alarm must not have been activated, or the tracker subscription had not been renewed. Feel sorry for the owners, these vans are not cheap. Lets hope it is recovered, but my thoughts are it is well and truly gone.  

Thousands of people know surely that work in the factories where the alarm and tracker and situated in a mass produced item . 

Dave

Here is an update from the owner of the caravan posted on FB

Bill & Marie's
STOLEN CARAVAN UPDATE.
Massive Big Up to all who shared our misfortune, we were amazed it got over 7,000 shares, resulting in CCTV footage of it at various locations & dashcam footage of it traveling South on the M1 showing Registration of vehicle towing, plus many private messages with information. We were disappointed in the police response,
It seemed if we did all the footwork and told them where the van was they "MAY" look into it. It's not just the van they take, it's memories, little things like the stuff that personalised the van, the day before we spent £150 on stuff in the caravan shop to replace old stuff & that was in the van unopened, we are not expecting to get it back... Fortunately we wouldn't want it back.
Anyway, can't dwell on what has happened, we can't change that.... But the future is bright and we are looking at our next memory maker. Many thanks again.
Bill & Marie.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Organman said:

Here is an update from the owner of the caravan posted on FB

Bill & Marie's
STOLEN CARAVAN UPDATE.
Massive Big Up to all who shared our misfortune, we were amazed it got over 7,000 shares, resulting in CCTV footage of it at various locations & dashcam footage of it traveling South on the M1 showing Registration of vehicle towing, plus many private messages with information. We were disappointed in the police response,
It seemed if we did all the footwork and told them where the van was they "MAY" look into it. It's not just the van they take, it's memories, little things like the stuff that personalised the van, the day before we spent £150 on stuff in the caravan shop to replace old stuff & that was in the van unopened, we are not expecting to get it back... Fortunately we wouldn't want it back.
Anyway, can't dwell on what has happened, we can't change that.... But the future is bright and we are looking at our next memory maker. Many thanks again.
Bill & Marie.

This. becoming more common that members on FB and forums when sharing information and passing the theft on really does work and MH and caravans are found but the police are not to interested unless you present it on a plate . My OH is a member of a number of different MH groups and she will tell me of at least usually two a week and on a number of occasions she says they have found it through FB and public awareness but I have noticed it needs to have decals that make it stand out in some way .

I thought the idea is we fight crime TOGETHER  including the authorities ?

Edited by CommanderDave

Over all ,no one WANTS their van back so sharing is pointless or am I being thick here ? The follow up post says just that .is there a timeline that you want it back. . . . . ?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Thousands of people know surely that work in the factories where the alarm and tracker and situated in a mass produced item . 

Dave

Only quoting what I was told by Phantom, and dealer, but I would think it could be divulged to mates etc over a pint or two 😉

The other point I was making was that if the alarm (and tracker if connected to alarm) were set, then the owner would have been notified immediately, so to be able to remove alarm and tracker suggests they were not. 

11 minutes ago, Lozzyf said:

Over all ,no one WANTS their van back so sharing is pointless or am I being thick here ? The follow up post says just that .is there a timeline that you want it back. . . . . ?

I agree I don't think I would want it back after these toe rags have had it for a few hours. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lozzyf said:

We are all watching the insurance prices increase and caravans stolen with no repercussions to the thieves ?

Dave

3 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

We are all watching the insurance prices increase and caravans stolen with no repercussions to the thieves ?

Dave

I can’t say I agree more however if your van was stolen today would you want it back ? ,that’s the rub lots of folk don’t .