Cathy67

Elddis Avante 550 or Affinity or Crusader 550?

We're in the process of buying a new Elddis 550, 2020 model. Don't know yet if it will be an Avanté or an Affinity or a Crusader.

There seems to be a lot of problems with the stargazer rooflight and cracking of the rearpanels.. 

Which model is best? We won't use the heating much I think, so blown air will be okay for us. 

Thanks!

Hi

From a personal point of view we looked at these ranges at the NEC last month and in conclusion we preferred the darker wood of the Infinity range interior.

The ALDE heating would be nice on the rare occasion its needed too.

Didn't like the Silver/blue sides of the Crusader though!

I think buying an English caravan is a lottery each make has its own issues so its down to personal choice.

We are just about to change our Affinity 550 after 30 months of trouble free use. 

We also liked the darker wood in the Affinity and as we tour all year the Alde option.

We loved the van and are upgrading to a twin axle with the 8ft option. We can only recommend as we find and the Elddis was a good van.

Hi

Depending where you live a lot of Elddis dealer do a special with extras and alternative seating and colours.

We bought our 550  Avante  equivalent a couple of years ago and love the layout . 

Just about to go for its second service and has now been towed over 4200 miles.

Edited by Deryckh
Missed something

What about the body construction? Is it bonded wood frame with wooden ply sandwich floor and ply internal walls. Are the cracked rear panels ABS or GRP?  Must admit their 2 berth is a nice layout. 

Edited by Ern

1 hour ago, Cathy67 said:

We're in the process of buying a new Elddis 550, 2020 model. Don't know yet if it will be an Avanté or an Affinity or a Crusader.

There seems to be a lot of problems with the stargazer rooflight and cracking of the rearpanels.. 

Which model is best? We won't use the heating much I think, so blown air will be okay for us. 

Thanks!

Isn't it all the same caravan but with a different spec level.  The Affinity or Crusader would be our choice as both come with ALDE heating.  The Crusader also comes with the ALKO Secure wheel lock amongst other add ons.  As you go up each step it is about £2500 difference on each step.  IMHO Affinity is probably the best bet and you can always buy the ALKO Secure lock at a later stage if the wheel is fitted with the receiver as standard.

What do you think? Does the interieur of the Affinity looks most luxurious and expensive? Or do you prefer the lighter colors of the Avanté or Crusader?

Interior colours are a personal thing. Our caravan is a dealer special 2011 Avante which to us had better upholstery colours than the Avante on which it was based. Must admit, I looked at an Affinity at the Lawns show this year and liked it. Places like Glossop Caravans do dealer specials based on the Affinity so might be worth considering.

We have blown air heating and find it is used mostly without the fan on but the end of the caravan furthest from the heater is colder this way. With the fan it is not much better but at least the bathroom warms up.

We currently have the Affinity 540.  Love the french bed, however most manufacturers have dropped this layout.  No problems with the stargazer although you have to be taller than me (5ft 3") to open it on its second setting.  (I use a wooden spoon to reach to push it open).  Owned it for four years this January, cant complain about too much of it.  Still looks current. Just ordered our 9th van, delivery expected March 2020.  Never bought from the same dealer twice.  Had one Abi second hand. Bought new an Avondale, a Compass, three Swifts, a Fleetwood and this Elddis, (new van is going to be a Coachman).  You pays your money and takes your choice in my experience. Each one has been better than the last, I wouldn't compromise on ATC or Alde heating these days though.

15 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

Places like Glossop Caravans do dealer specials based on the Affinity so might be worth considering.

I might be wrong but I thought the Elddis dealer specials were based on the Avante models with the lighter wood interior?-Apologises if I'm getting mixed up.

16 hours ago, Cathy67 said:

What do you think? Does the interieur of the Affinity looks most luxurious and expensive? Or do you prefer the lighter colors of the Avanté or Crusader?

Personally after looking at all three ranges for us the darker wood in the Affinity did look more expensive.

3 hours ago, charlieboy2608 said:

I might be wrong but I thought the Elddis dealer specials were based on the Avante models with the lighter wood interior?-Apologises if I'm getting mixed up.

The dealer specials were based on the Avante, I had thought they were now based on the Affinity but a look on Glossop Caravans website and their latest Chatsworth range clearly state they are based on the Avante models. It makes the Chatsworth range a similar price to the Affinity ones though.

So my apologies for getting it wrong.

There are a few dealer specials around based on the Affinity but most are Avanté

For 2020 some of the interior finishes have been changed - I think the Crusader is a huge improvement as the 2019 interior didn’t look good at all, it also helps the sky window thing has been centred too as it was off to one side and played with my OCD!

I would be looking at a dealer special Avanté or Affinity if the sky window and Alde made the difference

We have a dealer special (Sussex Caravans) Affinity 550 MY 2019 and love it. Had a couple of little niggles but nothing to worry about. We use it all year round so the Alde was important and works well. No cracks and no problems with the roof windows. We bought it on lay out and brightness inside.

5 hours ago, Jacko1 said:

We have a dealer special (Sussex Caravans) Affinity 550 MY 2019 and love it. Had a couple of little niggles but nothing to worry about. We use it all year round so the Alde was important and works well. No cracks and no problems with the roof windows. We bought it on lay out and brightness inside.

Hi I dont mean to criticize but I've just looked on Sussex caravans website and their dealer specials have the lighter wood of the avante range.....on which they are based??-not the affinity unless you have alde heating?

1 hour ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Hi I dont mean to criticize but I've just looked on Sussex caravans website and their dealer specials have the lighter wood of the avante range.....on which they are based??-not the affinity unless you have alde heating?

The Premier is based on the Avanté, the Premier Plus is based on the Affinity

https://www.sussexcaravancentre.co.uk/new-caravans/elddis-heathfield-premier-plus-574

These were one of those I could remember and I think there are a few more too.

FB is correct, we have the Premier Plus which is Affinity based and has Alde heating, although I will admit the wood is not particularly dark, but certainly not as light as the Avante range.

Thanks gents for confirming. 

It's this information that should help the OP .

Have a look at Compass also, same layouts as the Elddis but different trims.

The do three levels, the Casita, Capiro and Camino.

Thanks for all your comments so far! Love to read them!

Go for the Alde. Far superior to blown air.