colin h

Sat dish in s outh of France

I have read lots of info  on this subject and quizzed the likes of max view at the show. Anyway we bought a 60 cm dish with the understanding that in the South of France we will only be able to link to Hotbird satellite and therefore get BBc world news OR use a ROKU stick and use wifi to get BBC Iplayer amongst others...Is that correct or have i got it wrong

Can you use iPlayer outside of UK?

Don't Know?

On our previous motorhome we had an 85 cms dish and we got all normal UK programmes as far south as Carcassonne. A 60 cms dish would be pushing it much further south than the Loire Valley. There are always exceptions as weather conditions can impact on the signal both ways.

You can use iPlayer abroad but you have to mask your IP address so it thinks you are in the UK.

David

Thanks David, thats what i thought...Phew

I have a Satgear 60 cm dish with the easy find LNB and worked fine for me down near Figeac. I did find that I couldn't get ITV HD channels but could receive them in SD, all BBC channel worked in HD. That was this year, August/Sept. My TV is Visionplus 21.5 with built in satellite tuner.

Hi, I have tried, without success, to use a VPN, to obtain UK channels whilst abroad.

There are some paid services that promise to obtain UK channels so did a trial on one and that  didn’t work either.

At Biscarosse this year got all IK channels on a 60cm dish.

13 hours ago, colin h said:

we will only be able to link to Hotbird satellite and therefore get BBc world news 

You will be able to get plenty of satellites...Astra 1, Astra 2, Hotbird...

Astra 1 is a "european" satellite and carries the likes of BBC WOrld News, Sky News, CNN, Bloomberg all in English, and Eurosport, Sport1 and RTL (the latter has free F1).

Astra 2 is the UK tv dish. Your size dish will not getthe channels like BBC ITV C4 Five that are on the UK beam, but may get lots of other news channels and a few entertainment channels that are on the European beam, which is easier to receive than the UK beam

Hotbird as far as I am aware does not carry many english channels, BBC World news being about it IIRC.

Have you ever tried watching BBC World TV?? It repeats about every hour in 15 min blocks.

Useless.

12 hours ago, Allan Guest said:

Hi, I have tried, without success, to use a VPN, to obtain UK channels whilst abroad.

There are some paid services that promise to obtain UK channels so did a trial on one and that  didn’t work either.

I use a Smart DNS Proxy  which gets me BBC iPlayer, US Netflix, Amazon etc it's cheaper than a VPN at USD20 a year and doesn't slow down the connection.

It works very well on a Mobile Phone with tablets tethered to it.

In addition, a simple confirmation please ?

A Sat dish system now has limited greater UK scope to receive Astra 2 (UK) satellite after it moved ?

In 2019 / 2020 the best route source method to get UK TV, beyond greater UK area, is to start with  a fast Internet link, via a VPN, to a Laptop or iPad etc via a Phone / Mifi / Wifi type connection ?

So after getting a fast VPN Wifi connection  .....

What is the suggested website to then receive UK TV  - Freeview type channel range ?? 

For BBC channel reception overseas, need the BBC i Player App / system, used via a VPN to kid the service as to where you actually are ? BBC tedium for honest Licence payers ? 

For Sky abroad - I need to download and access via the Sky Go app ?   

Thanks in advance for any critic, corrections or amendments.

M

We had a dome on our caravan and could get Sky down as far as Valencia however Uk Tv disappeared towards south of France.  Unlikely you will get any UK channels south of Bordeaux.  We now have an Oyster V which can get UK channels down as far as Roses in Spain.  UK channels can be picked up in southern Spain with an Icecrypt box.

54 minutes ago, montesa said:

A Sat dish system now has limited greater UK scope to receive Astra 2 (UK) satellite after it moved ?

Yes, it now has a much smaller footprint.

image.thumb.png.524c03b2527061c499b12d58f5125881.png

In 2019 / 2020 the best route source method to get UK TV, beyond greater UK area, is to start with  a fast Internet link, via a VPN, to a Laptop or iPad etc via a Phone / Mifi / Wifi type connection ?

Yes but as I said above, I use a Smart DNS Proxy, it doesn't kill the download speeds (the best VPN I found, slowed my 950Mbps home connection to >35Mbps)

For BBC channel reception overseas, need the BBC i Player App / system, used via a VPN to kid the service as to where you actually are ? BBC tedium for honest Licence payers ?

Yes but the BBC are very good at detecting and blocking VPN's.

It's not BBC tedium, it's where they have bought the broadcasting rights for.

What is the suggested website to then receive UK TV  - Freeview type channel range ??

There are many, Google is your friend, all of them illegal.

Edited by Lost in France
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

So, Lots of Problems it would seem, but does anyone have a solution for a 60cm dish on the south coast of France...One that actually works. Only looking for News and the odd channel.

There is another solution which I found on a previous CT post some while ago.

You have some upfront costs but after that it can be free.

You have to download PLEX media server and purchase a TV tuner that is compatible with PLEX. You have to buy a PASS which gives you more options with PLEX. You can then use PLEX from anywhere with internet access to watch live TV and you also have a DVR for recordings which you can also watch. You can also watch on a mobile / tablet if required.

No VPN required.

I also use PLEX to listen to local radio football, which is available on Freeview TV but not on digital  radio, on my iPhone.

Edited by SuperRed
Updated info
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, montesa said:

For Sky abroad - I need to download and access via the Sky Go app ?   

Astra 2 satellites have never moved. They have always been located at 28 east...

For Sky Go abroad, you can currently (Brexit will change this), access Sky GO app for approx 35 days without the need of VPN / DNS system (EU Rules). But note as iPlayer (itv hub, all4, uktv) is not a paid subscription service, then these EU rules do not apply and so to access these non subscription services, a VPN / SDNS system is still required.

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

We had a dome on our caravan and could get Sky down as far as Valencia however Uk Tv disappeared towards south of France.  Unlikely you will get any UK channels south of Bordeaux.  We now have an Oyster V which can get UK channels down as far as Roses in Spain.  UK channels can be picked up in southern Spain with an Icecrypt box.

Yes you can, as many uk tv channels, just like most Sky pay channels, are on the European beam and available "south of Bordeaux", and even down in Spain. (or are you using the term "Uk TV" for the non Sky pay channels like BBC ITV C4 Five, which is confusing, as Sky are UK channels as well, and then there are the UKTV Group of channels like Dave)

"...Icecrypt box. " and many other receivers, And only about 10 "uk channels" only are on the intelsat system...

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, satandpcguy said:

Yes you can, as many uk tv channels, just like most Sky pay channels, are on the European beam and available "south of Bordeaux", and even down in Spain. (or are you using the term "Uk TV" for the non Sky pay channels like BBC ITV C4 Five, which is confusing, as Sky are UK channels as well, and then there are the UKTV Group of channels like Dave)

"...Icecrypt box. " and many other receivers, And only about 10 "uk channels" only are on the intelsat system...

With reference to UK channels I was referring to BBC, ITV Ch4 and Ch5 channels. 

50 minutes ago, colin h said:

So, Lots of Problems it would seem, but does anyone have a solution for a 60cm dish on the south coast of France...One that actually works. Only looking for News and the odd channel.

You should be able to receive Sky news which I think is a free channel using an old Sky box without a subscription.

Thanks to all responses ,

Got 8 weeks to get up to speed on these points now.

M

4 hours ago, Lost in France said:

Yes, it now has a much smaller footprint.

image.thumb.png.524c03b2527061c499b12d58f5125881.png

Yes but as I said above, I use a Smart DNS Proxy, it doesn't kill the download speeds (the best VPN I found, slowed my 950Mbps home connection to >35Mbps)

Yes but the BBC are very good at detecting and blocking VPN's.

It's not BBC tedium, it's where they have bought the broadcasting rights for.

There are many, Google is your friend, all of them illegal.

The Astra 28 location has never moved. There is a cluster of satellites - we are now on 2F (or is it 2G?) but each successive bird has had a tighter coverage pattern for the UK, so the footprint plot shows, the further south you go the bigger the dish you need - within reason. I use a 60cm ovoid dish and managed to get signal as far as Macon but it took very careful alignment.

1 hour ago, Woodentop said:

we are now on 2F (or is it 2G?)

2E, 2F and 2G are the three UK TV satellites at 28 east.

1 hour ago, Woodentop said:

but each successive bird has had a tighter coverage pattern for the UK, so the footprint plot shows, the further south you go the bigger the dish you need - within reason.

All three have basically the same UK beam "print" - there is very little in them.

But it is different to the old Astra 2D UK beam print that used to be used.

But within that beam, there are "waves", which is why the Costa Blanca area is a hotspot now, and can use smaller dishes than those used in Catalonia and Andalucia / CdS...(so not exactly true that the further south the bigger dish you need)

On the old 2d, the UK beam in the Costa Blanca was hard to receive, and Catalonia and Andalucia / CdS could easily receive it. But the "waves" inside the beam have been compressd, so today the old Andalucia / CdS "hot spot" is now located over the Costa Blanca, and the old Costa Blanca "null spot" is not over Catalonia and Barcelona area.

If I use the sky go app are you using it via phone or wifi and linking it to TV via dongle or cable.

18 hours ago, colin h said:

If I use the sky go app are you using it via phone or wifi and linking it to TV via dongle or cable.

Yes to use Sky go you must be using mobile or wifi to access the internet. Remember if using a mobile data connection watching tv or streaming services like Netflix can use large amounts of data so please check that your plan has a large data allowance and that when using abroad it isn’t “throttled back” or has a cap. I am with 3 and although I have 100gb per month allowance they only let me use 19gb abroad per month.  I believe Sky have put a block on being able to watch on a different screen by the likes of airplay or via a cable unless someone knows differently?

On 02/11/2019 at 19:35, klyne said:

On our previous motorhome we had an 85 cms dish and we got all normal UK programmes as far south as Carcassonne. A 60 cms dish would be pushing it much further south than the Loire Valley. There are always exceptions as weather conditions can impact on the signal both ways.

You can use iPlayer abroad but you have to mask your IP address so it thinks you are in the UK.

David

David,

A friend of mine who has a 60 cm dish gets all UK Channels in Castelnaud la Chappelle in the Dordogne, I have a Multimo that is equivalent to a 60 cm dish and the only UK channel I can get since the Footprint change a few years ago is the Welsh Channel S4C !!! 

8 hours ago, Les Medes said:

David,

A friend of mine who has a 60 cm dish gets all UK Channels in Castelnaud la Chappelle in the Dordogne, I have a Multimo that is equivalent to a 60 cm dish and the only UK channel I can get since the Footprint change a few years ago is the Welsh Channel S4C !!! 

The Multimo is a "Cassegrain" type 40cm diameter dish which the manufacturers claim was equivelent to a 55 cm.

I would be inclined to split the difference and describe it as "almost a 50 cm".

To my knowledge, a 60 cm (minimum) dish is now necessary as far south as the Dordogne but it is quite a few years since I was there using my German made "Arcon" 60 cm Cassegrain Type! 

Gone are the days when I set up my then 40 cm "off-set" dish near the just opened viaduct bridge over the Tarn Gorge and pulled in every Freesat channel!

Vin Blanc