Mt Vesuvius

Didn't know where to put this, as "Places to Visit" refers only to the UK. 

Anyway, I'm not in the caravan when I visit Naples in March, its a three day city break.  Now Tom, my other half, has passed away, and I've done my jobs that I promised I would do, I now need a break.  So my first visit for 2019 has always been on my bucket list, which is either to visit Yellowstone Park, Iceland or Naples.  I chose Naples, as I didn't want to visit Yellowstone on my own, and Iceland is where I wanted to see the northern lights, but is not guaranteed.  So Naples it is, or rather Pompeii and Vesuvius.  What I want to know is, how long does it take to climb up to the top of Vesuvius.  I know there is a pathway, but how easy, apart from uphill, is it.  I'm used to walking, and have hiked.  Just would like to know from anyone who's been to the rim of the crater.  After this short break, I'll be back caravanning, but only this country with my cat, Timber:)

Petal and I did that Babs, and its quite a stiff climb. I was 64 at the time but you should be ok seeing you are used to walking, whereas I am not. I think it took me about three weeks to climb, but you should do it in - at the most 45 minutes. The path - with some wooden steps, winds up the side of the volcano in switchbacks initially, and then follows uphill around the edge until you reach the edge of the crater. By this time I was losing the will to be interested in anything but breathing due to severe exhaustion and the journey back down was only completed with frequent oxygen breathing breaks and paramedic first aid. The real downer of this stupendous exhausting journey is that Petal later called me a WIMP. Charming!!!

Pompeii is interesting  and well worth a visit. Here is a good shot in the main street with Vesuvius in the background. (Petal is seen here modelling tasteful Italian short longs long shorts.)

The Isle of Capris is a tourist trap but the ski chair lift ride back down presents wonderful panoramas.

94761228_2001Sep-SuzieinMainstreetPompeiiGIMPi.jpg.cb9b72d9d28a70733134e4b19c2721de.jpg

We both hope you have a good city break, and please let us know if you enjoyed it on your return.

Don’t forget to pack your iPod so you can listen to Pink Floyd “echoes” standing in the amphitheatre where they played in 1972, like an out of body experience ?

to be fair, the rest of Pompeii was pretty good as well

72A08A88-652B-4666-9D23-90BA518A5A70.jpeg

Edited by sleepyfolk

We did this around 20 years ago, so it's not fresh in my memory but my wife managed the climb on her 50th birthday (I know how to treat a girl!) without any problems and she is not particularly fit.  At that time, somebody was stood at the bottom handing out walking sticks and then collecting a Euro when they were returned after coming down! Pompeii is certainly worth a visit but there is little in the way of shade other than going into the buildings so make sure you take water. Enjoy.

John M

2017 Skoda Superb Estate 2. 0 Tdi 190; 2014 Swift Challenger 530SE + Powrtouch Evolution

As far as I remember the trog up Vesuvius isn't all that onerous, we did it a few years ago.  Herculaneum is also well  worth a visit if you can fit it into your itinerary, in fact we enjoyed it more than Pompeii

Edited by matelodave

You can get a bus which takes you to within 200 metres (height) of the top, some details here:  https://www.rometoolkit.com/whattodo/pompeii_vesuvius_bus.html

Whether it's worth it depends on the conditions on the day you choose to go up - but beware, in March, it's likely to be very cold.

You can give Pompeii a miss but you must see Herculaneum. Much better preserved.

• Like 2

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

If you go to Versuvius by car do not leave anything in the vehicle when you park,  it will all be gone when you get back.

Done that bought the T-shirt in the early eighties.

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

Naples airport is a nightmare, we were there in July to pick up a cruise ship.

Loads of flights arriving at the same time, and they had off loaded luggage from 5 aircraft on to one baggage belt in the arrivals hall.

There were 2 flights in 1 & 2 hours before ours and they were still waiting for luggage when ours came through.

On a plus we booked a private taxi (Merc S Class) to pick us up and bring us back from the cruise terminal, so no waiting for the buses which are a good walk from the terminal building, the cost was 70 euros return.

Going home Check In is even worse, once you have dropped off your luggage the airside area has nowhere near enough seating, but if you follow the signs for the gates, go down the escalator there is another area with shopping and food that is relatively clear.

The silliest part is Passport Control which is by the departure gates, so everyone queues in a bottle neck to get through, and then you stand for ages waiting to get to the very few seats at the gate.

Other than that Naples is a sprawling city that you only truly see as you fly in, sit on the starboard side of the aircraft for the best views, and be very vigilant of the pickpockets and moped thieves.  When you go out, if you can get everything you need in a small bag and wear it under a jacket or coat, that offers the best protection from the ride-by snatchers.

• Like 1

Always wanted to visit Pompeii as a result of having to learn Latin at school 50-odd years ago, the books we used were based upon a family living there pre-eruption, so its on the to-do list. Maybe 2021, so would be interested to see how recent visitors get along.

To the OP - just got back from Iceland on Saturday, and it`s well worth the trip. There is an awful lot more to do than see the lights, but a car is an absolute must (we did 1700kms in the week), as the cost of organised trips are equivalent to the price of a kidney! Food and drink is also pretty eye-wateringly expensive, but hotels are not silly prices away from the centre of Reykjavik, so a little homework is worthwhile.

Babs, just do it... Its a bit of a slog as has been described, providing its a clear day its a wonderful experience, just have a look up before you set off if the top its covered in cloud dont bother as you wont see anything, it will be cold and wet!!

Anything in that part of Italy is worth doing but do leave time for food, wine, atmosphere and more food, its the best...:P

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

Check out the Campania Arte Card, we used it and found it very good value.  https://www.european-traveler.com/italy/save-with-the-campania-arte-card-at-pompeii-herculaneum-and-naples/

Edited by MGBGTV8

Now living in Haute Vienne France

A good guide when hill walking is to allow 1 hour for every 4 km on the flat plus 1 minute for every 10 metres uphill (each contour line on Ordnance Survey maps), plus time for any stops for such as taking photos, rests, food breaks. However, if the ground is difficult it can take longer.

• Like 1

Would having proper footwear be advisable, ie, hiking boots, or are ordinary sensible walking shoes be ok.  If it is foggy at the summit, I won't bother.  I can't wait to go.  Anyway, I looked up what the average temperature it is in March, and its around the 17 degree, so just nice and pleasant.  Don't need a walking stick.  When hiking, I tried using one, but found it more of a hinderance, so I never bothered with one.  Also, I'm just taking an overnight case, as I'm only there for 3 days, so can pack everything in at one go.  I've just bought a Regatta jacket, and its lovely and warm and waterproof.   Anyway, guys, thanks for your intel on this.  Really looking forward to it.  I'll be taking the bus from the airport, as my hotel, is about 5 minutes walk from Piazze Gabriola (its the name of a famous biscuit:D)

You dont really need hiking boots, but it is rough underfoot so a decent set of suitable shoes/trainers would be much better than strappy sandals or flipflops (however you'll still see them up there:()

I was there recently.  Took the train from Naples and then the bus from near the station to Vesuvius.  The walk is a bit steep as you might expect, but not so difficult even for a 71yo like me.   Pompeii and Herc. are both worth a visit and easy to get to as they are on the same line.      :)     Crater!    

John.

IMG_1467.jpeg

Edited by Leedslad
  • Like 1

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

For anyone wanting to visit Pompeii, Camping Spartacus just across the Via Plinio from Pompei entrance is a great little spot to camp. No parking or transport....walk across when the gates open and before the coaches arrive. ? 

Thanks everyone for your input.  You've now got me thinking of which to visit, Pompeii or Herc.  I will have a think on that.  I asked about footwear because I love Sketchers shoes, so comfortable.  I will get a new pair of trainers with laces (I usually have slip ons) before I go.  I don't bother with flip-flops or sandals as I find them uncomfortable to walk any distance.  I only use flip-flops when going to showers when I go caravanning.

11 hours ago, Babstreefern said:

Thanks everyone for your input.  You've now got me thinking of which to visit, Pompeii or Herc.  I will have a think on that.  I asked about footwear because I love Sketchers shoes, so comfortable.  I will get a new pair of trainers with laces (I usually have slip ons) before I go.  I don't bother with flip-flops or sandals as I find them uncomfortable to walk any distance.  I only use flip-flops when going to showers when I go caravanning.

Plus one for the Sketchers shoes. Very comfortable and well made. I wish we went to Herc although we found Pompeii very interesting. Choose the one that is geographically nearer to where you are staying if time is tight.

Edited by BOAC
typo

Although you are not planning to drive just a word of warning to anyone who is!

(Oh, and I'm sure you'll have no difficulty with Vesuvius).

I've driven in Rome, Paris and  other potentially  "difficult" places but Naples takes the biscuit.

We stayed in Torre del Greco - between Naples and Pompeii.  The motorway is relatively "normal" but if you venture onto the smaller roads then expect the unexpected.  Red lights mean nothing.  Stop signs are to be ignored.  No overtaking is merely a challenge.  I could go on.

We stayed in an Airbnb  our hosts warned us that this part of Italy is virtually lawless with regard to driving - I totally agree. 

The host actually offered to take us to the station and pick us up later when we visited Naples.  Having experienced it when we arrived we accepted his offer. 

I've heard about the driving over there.  My older brother did a training course just outside of Rome (he worked for Proctor & Gamble at the time), and was given a car.  He hated every minute of it.  He was glad that the factory had its own car park.  Romans don't think twice about double parking on streets apparently:)

10 hours ago, Squash said:

Although you are not planning to drive just a word of warning to anyone who is!

(Oh, and I'm sure you'll have no difficulty with Vesuvius).

I've driven in Rome, Paris and  other potentially  "difficult" places but Naples takes the biscuit.

We stayed in Torre del Greco - between Naples and Pompeii.  The motorway is relatively "normal" but if you venture onto the smaller roads then expect the unexpected.  Red lights mean nothing.  Stop signs are to be ignored.  No overtaking is merely a challenge.  I could go on.

We stayed in an Airbnb  our hosts warned us that this part of Italy is virtually lawless with regard to driving - I totally agree. 

The host actually offered to take us to the station and pick us up later when we visited Naples.  Having experienced it when we arrived we accepted his offer. 

I was told by a local that there is no car insurance in Naples. Locals have 2 cars...one for normal outings and one they don’t need to lock or bother about damage when they go into Naples. 

• Haha 1

When we visited a couple of years ago we chose Herculaneum as Pompeii can get very crowded and is a much bigger site so possibly quite exhausting to cover the whole place. We're pleased we did, also there is an interesting museum a short walk from the site: https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/herculaneum-s-museum-of-relics-finally-opens-its-doors-44-years-on

Whichever you pick, well worth the trip.

• I agree completely 1

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2, 1986 Honda XBR500

Also as you walk towards the station from Herculaneum, there used to be a small Pizza place on the left hand side, best Pizza's we had in Italy.

• Haha 1

Now living in Haute Vienne France

I'll look out for that MGBGTV8.  I've also youtubed the walk on the mountain.  Seems straightforward to me.  Although as people walk, it sounds like they're walking on cinders:D

• Like 1