pattojones

Suggestions for cheap TV reception?

My van has no aerial. I am looking at a reliable but cheap (as possible) way to receive TV. 

What kit would you go for? Not looking to fit a permanently mounted roof aerial. I have a small television with freeview tuner built in.

Edited by pattojones

3 minutes ago, pattojones said:

Would you recommend the digital TV amplifier?

Yes - although if you always caravan in strong signal areas you may not need one.

2 minutes ago, pattojones said:

Would you recommend the digital TV amplifier?

Well caravan built in aerials have the signal amplified so no harm in using one.

A UHF aerial amplifier is what is required, the amplifier like the aerial does not know if analogue or digital.

23 hours ago, David 38 said:

Well caravan built in aerials have the signal amplified so no harm in using one.

A UHF aerial amplifier is what is required, the amplifier like the aerial does not know if analogue or digital.

An analogue amplifier will not work digital .. digital has a far higher frequency bandwidth .. the analogue cannot handle it .. 

1 minute ago, Disco Kid said:

An analogue amplifier will not work digital .. digital has a far higher frequency bandwidth .. the analogue cannot handle it .. 

Absolutely NOT true, digital broadcasts are in exactly the same UHF band as the old analogue ones.

Since digital switchover was completed, many are on the same UHF frequencies as the old analogue ones.

A tv aerial system,  including any booster, is not concerned with the content of the signal, it simply amplifies whatever is received. 

Also bear in mind, despite what you may see claimed by inventive advertising, there is also no such thing as a digital aerial for exactly the same reason. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Disco Kid said:

Sorry, but you are talking rubbish.

Digital TV uses the same UHF frequencies and channels as the old analogue transmission. bspks describes it perfectly

• Like 1

I have one of these aerials on my outside 'mancave area' (posh name for a gazebo) works well , when going to a caravan site I check digital coverage on the freeview website and use google maps to 'draw' a line of sight to the transmitter , if there are houses near by I check the direction of there aerials.

aerial.jpg

https://www.aerialsandtv.com/touringaerials.html recommends using a robust log periodic and shows options of how to mount a support pole.  Amplifiers will generally be unnecessary, but can be useful as a backup on more difficult locations.   Check if the TV has an 'antenna power' option that could be used to remote power a variable gain masthead amplifier.

Alternatively https://www.fringeelectronics.co.uk/fringeleisure/page12.html are good as they have a clear, bright, led signal meter built in.

The UHF TV spectrum has reduced from 21 to 68 of analogue to, currently 21 to 60.  Shortly to reduces to 21 to 48 only with 55&56 staying temporarily on air in the spectrum that 5G mobiles will / are already using.

Vision plus also do a pair of brackets that stick on the side of the van and you attach the mast to them , I had a 4g aerial on them in all sorts of gales and although they are stick on - they are definitely stuck on!

i found it a bit more convenient than using the jockey wheel set up, and less wobbly

https://www.visionplus.co.uk/shop/uni-bracket-plate.html

https://www.visionplus.co.uk/shop/telescopic-4-section-mast.html

Edited by sleepyfolk

2 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

Shortly to reduces to 21 to 48 only ...

Wow, wonder how many programs we will loose on Freeview.

2 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Wow, wonder how many programs we will lose on Freeview.

None.

Edited by Rodders53

9 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

None.

Interference then from other transmitters?

47 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Interference then from other transmitters?

There may be a bit in some locations.  But there is potentially free support if that's the case  https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/tv-changes

Check the <detailed view> numbers from the UK &nbsp;spectrum planners predictions while you can for now and the final figures.   (My home has only one retune on one mux left on Sandy Heath but Waltham has a few more - if I had an aerial pointing that way).

1 hour ago, Rodders53 said:

There may be a bit in some locations.  But there is potentially free support if that's the case  https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/tv-changes

Shows it's already happened here a week ago.

7 hours ago, David 38 said:

Wow, wonder how many programs we will loose on Freeview.

These and these

Screenshot_20191101-202010_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20191101-202002_Samsung Internet.jpg

Not lost them in fact gained a few of them.

11 minutes ago, Pebble said:

My internet security software won't let me access that link which it warns as being suspicious.

Edited by Legal Eagle

23 minutes ago, Pebble said:

Don't bother it won't work and you will have wasted your money.

It is a US product based on the fact that whilst TV is still broadcast over air the vast majority of viewers use either cable or the Internet for viewing. Thus it works like magic if you don't understand what its all about!

• +1 1

27 minutes ago, Pebble said:

Might just take a punt on it but not sure if it would work in the 'van 🤔. If not, will try it at home 👍 

Must be April the 1st somewhere in the parallel universe that dismisses all the known laws of Physic and antenna design.  Don't waste your time nor money.

• +1 1

Some signals are horizonal others are vertical. To get the best reception check the area on line to get it right.

If you have Android, you can download various apps, that will tell you exactly where the nearest tower is, this again will save you time when setting up.

As others have said do not waste your money on the strange device from America. The best antenna for TV reception is the log periodic, like this https://cpc.farnell.com/antiference/lp28f/aerial-uhf-log-periodic-f-conn/dp/AP01931. they are a lot more robust than the vision-plus thingy thats made from tinfoil.

I've got one up in my loft (its a bungalow so not everso high), hanging from the rafters on a couple of bits of string and I get all the channels from Sandy Heath which is around 60km away