When is a hard standing not a hard standing?

That will make it difficult to hitch up. That's the issue where the ground has been made up. It's not been compacted down.

I was on a building site today nearing completion. As soon as you stood on the turf that had been laid making up the front gardens and verges you sank a good couple of inches if not more so the same issue that you have.

Edited by Danuk
My poor spelling
  • Like 1

The site is brand new and only opened this summer. The pitches appears to be gravel chippings sprinkled over mud. I know we’ve had some rain, but I really don’t think the sub base is right. In fact I’m not entirely sure there is a sub base. 

Caused me a bit of a nightmare. Had to put steadies down, lift up the jockey wheel, place a board underneath, lower jockey wheel and raise the van so I could hitch up and choose a different pitch. 

Nearly drained my battery with the mover as initially the caravan wheels were sinking into the ground making moving nearly impossible. 

I tripoed up in the ruts made by the caravan wheels, ripped my shorts and now my jockey wheel needs stripping down and cleaning to get all the muck and grit out. 

Edited by Guest

That caravan looks too clean!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Jockey wheel doesn't

• Haha 1

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

13 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

The site is brand new and only opened this summer. The pitches appears to be gravel chippings sprinkled over mud. I know we’ve had some rain, but I really don’t think the sub base is right. In fact I’m not entirely sure there is a sub base. 

Caused me a bit of a nightmare. Had to put steadies down, lift up the jockey wheel, place a board underneath, lower jockey wheel and raise the van so I could hitch up and choose a different pitch. 

Nearly drained my battery with the mover as initially the caravan wheels were sinking into the ground making moving nearly impossible. 

I tripoed up in the ruts made by the caravan wheels, ripped my shorts and now my jockey wheel needs stripping down and cleaning to get all the muck and grit out. 

What did the owners/wardens say?

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

tags: inspirational, optimism, perception, pessimism

It would appear the owners have a lot of (expensive) remedial work to carry out.

Should have done the job correctly from the outset rather trying to skimp !!

Andy

• Like 2

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

2 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

It would appear the owners have a lot of (expensive) remedial work to carry out.

Should have done the job correctly from the outset rather trying to skimp !!

Andy

To be fair the owners could have been done by rogue traders, guess we’ll never know.

Cheers, Martin

1 minute ago, MartinJB said:

To be fair the owners could have been done by rogue traders, guess we’ll never know.

Down to a price not up to a standard perhaps??  

Andy

• Like 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

1 hour ago, Lozzyf said:

What did the owners/wardens say?

There was just a young lad working the reception on his own and I wasn’t going to give him any grief over it, I’ll see if there’s a manager/head warden working there tomorrow. 

Spoke to a site groundsman about it earlier, he acknowledged a couple of pitches had some issues following the heavy rain and they’ve now put that pitch out of service. But you don’t expect this on a hard standing pitch, which is why I chose one. 

A nights refund might be appropriate for the hassle, having to remove, strip & clean the jockey wheel, and for tripping over on the wheel rut left by the previous van which made me fall and rip my shorts. 

Edited by Guest

Borrow a Plank from the site owners to help you hitch up

2 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

There was just a young lad working the reception on his own and I wasn’t going to give him any grief over it, I’ll see if there’s a manager/head warden working there tomorrow. 

Spoke to a site groundsman about it earlier, he acknowledged a couple of pitches had some issues following the heavy rain and they’ve now put that pitch out of service. But you don’t expect this on a hard standing pitch, which is why I chose one. 

A nights refund might be appropriate for the hassle, having to remove, strip & clean the jockey wheel, and for tripping over on the wheel rut left by the previous van which made me fall and rip my shorts. 

Shorts !!!!!  it's absolutey freezing here, long johns on 

• Like 1

Les

1 hour ago, Les Medes said:

Borrow a Plank from the site owners to help you hitch up

Shorts !!!!!  it's absolutey freezing here, long johns on 

Im still in shorts & tshirt. Maybe it’s a Yorkshire thing :D

7 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Im still in shorts & tshirt. Maybe it’s a Yorkshire thing :D

Ripped ones at that 😜

• Haha 1

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

tags: inspirational, optimism, perception, pessimism

34 minutes ago, bessacarr425 said:

Have I missed it or is the OP reluctant to name the site. It would be useful for the rest of us to know which site to avoid. 

Walsewood Caravan & Camping Park. 

Its the brand new site located at Rother Valley Country Park, Sheffield South Yorkshire. 

https://www.waleswood.co.uk/

It only appears to be a small number of pitches arrested, perhaps by the recent heavy rain we’ve had, but going by the wheel ruts on my pitch that were already there when I arrived, the site should have known about the issue. 

When I arrived I thought the ruts had been caused by the previous van being towed off with the mover rollers still engaged, with the wheels dragging and causing the ruts. But as I moved my van onto the pitch I soon realised it was gravel sprinkled over mud. 

This photo is after i managed to get to get my van off, but it doesn’t really allow you to appreciate the depth of the ruts

A1998A6A-28D4-4271-AA98-92D74837AC64.jpeg

Edited by Guest

CMC sites have different chippings the tan small pebbles the jockey wheel sinks but then ploughs with the mover it's way but the grey chips I find the jockey wheel sinks but the chips are more resistance and the mover can loose grip and also the gravel sticks to the tyres and can wedge in the rollers unless the tyre is cleaned before operating .

• I agree completely 1

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

From the information available it seems to run by Rotherham Council as an adjunct to the adjacent Rother Valley Country park.

The tariff shows extra charges for awnings and and pets, though the charges are for two people regardless of age. This makes a stay there rather expensive to solo travellers.

One of the main complaints in the visitors comments is the algae growing in the lake, one camper commenting that it would prevent their dogs from swimming in the lake.

"Duty of care" comes to mind.

Notwithstanding the weather and the so-called hard standing not being fit for purpose, site staff should be checking pitches to avoid such problems especially where the ground conditions are hazardous.

I hope the OP gets a satisfactory outcome and that whoever runs the site learns from the experience.

That pitch looks like a job by Bodgit and Scarper Ltd. 

• Haha 1

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

What was needed was hardcore down first, then the travel.  I've got that problem outside my backdoor.  I have a little patio, and there's a hole, about a one ft.sq, and now matter how I fill it, it still has a hole.  I've put broken flags down, unused gravel, even the chaps next door who were doing an extension, tipped unused concrete, and I've still got a hole.  Its been like this now for a year or two.  It never goes any bigger or smaller.  I think its called a money pit:D.  At least its not effecting the house, so will leave it.  I think personally, its the fault of the builders, they've put too much sand on the ground