Mr Plodd

Planning on staying at Tewkesbury?? See this!

Looks like it’s a bit damp underfoot at Tewkesbury CMC site! 

Reception building (and sadly probably the wardens caravan) at the bottom left of the picture

91DD62C2-DA64-48D7-B954-D468FF455BAD.png

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 1

We are hoping that the water level drops a bit by next Monday as we are supposed to be going there for a week.

Not with the caravan but it wont be the same if we've got to get around by boat - perhaps I should pack the the inflatable dinghy just in case.

Oh dear.

We stayed there this year when we had the very hot week in July. It rained overnight and the small stream was transformed and had risen by at least 12 inches. 

The wardens office is at least 10 feet off the floor, although the cricket club next door is not so high up

1 minute ago, matelodave said:

Not with the caravan but it wont be the same if we've got to get around by boat - perhaps I should pack the the inflatable dinghy just in case.

Mask, snorkel and fins might be worth packing?

Its going to me a looong time before the site is useable again, think of all the silt like  “gunk” that will be left once the tide retreats! I do sincerely hope that the wardens caravan was well insured as it looks like it’s half submerged, so ruined. 

Andy

Did it not flood there the other year? Why haven't the environment agency/water company/council etc sorted the flood risk (river dredging, overflow/drainage etc)? The Dutch seem to manage it and half their country is below sea level.

I been there twice this year and it is common and flooded earlier in the year and some  members woke to find water halfway up their wheels . The site is designed to flood with high bollards and raised buildings .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

1 minute ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Did it not flood there the other year? Why haven't the environment agency/water company/council etc sorted the flood risk (river dredging, overflow/drainage etc)? The Dutch seem to manage it and half their country is below sea level.

The water flow rates can be very high on any river that drains a major part of Wales - the water runs off the Welsh hills quickly but can't get out of the flatter Midlands so easily.

1 minute ago, Black Grouse said:

The water flow rates can be very high on any river that drains a major part of Wales - the water runs off the Welsh hills quickly but can't get out of the flatter Midlands so easily.

Which raises the question why build alongside it?

We often go to Tewkesbury and probably will be going there this Saturday.  I think Marquis in Tewkesbury would be more worried top left hand of picture.

Edited by Durbanite

We were nearby on CMC site at Malvern Hills last week and as we left on Sunday morning several units were arriving from the Tewkesbury site as it was closed following the very heavy rain on Friday and Saturday. Malvern site was fine. Wow it did rain though although seemed to improve the further East we travelled where they seemed not to have had the quantity they did around Worcester.

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Because people like to live near water whether it be a river, lake or the sea.

I live out in the Cambridgeshire fens, where they've been managing the river levels and draining the land sing the mid 1600's and we do actually live around a metre below sea level. There are pumping stations and dykes (the river sort:rolleyes:) all over the place and the river levels are pretty well managed.  We live near the Bedford Levels (no where near Bedford, but commissioned by the Duke of Bedford in the 1600's) where flood water is dumped between two man made rivers to the flood plain in between them.  All the dykes, rivers and sluices and pumping stations are controlled by the Environment Agency and there is a legal requirement for farmers and landowners to keep their ditches, dykes and rivers in good repair, managed by local drainage boards. I'm not sure if there are similar arrangements in other parts of the country.

A lot of the problems are caused by some flood relief or control schemes because they shift the problem somewhere else. Likewise more and more housing, roads and car parks, especially those that get built on the flood plains doesn't allow the water to spread out and percolate away gently.

However that said, excessively high rainfall, especially up river or in the water shed of mountains, can over whelm anywhere at a speed that has to be seen to be believed

Edited by matelodave

1 hour ago, VOLVOVANNER said:

We were nearby on CMC site at Malvern Hills last week and as we left on Sunday morning several units were arriving from the Tewkesbury site as it was closed following the very heavy rain on Friday and Saturday. Malvern site was fine. Wow it did rain though although seemed to improve the further East we travelled where they seemed not to have had the quantity they did around Worcester.

Rainfall around Worcester was about average for this time of the year.  The main issue is heavy rain in Wales which then brings the River Severn down in flood.

I noticed the Stour was brimming and in full flow down here yesterday as I passed it .

Dave

Interesting, thanks for the info, weather seems to come across here from the West and usually runs out of steam before it gets onto this East coast (which is what happened on Fri/Sat it seems.

Norfolk/Suffolk have had an exceptionally wet October after a dry July/Aug/Sept.

Crossed over the Avon on the M5 on Sunday by Twyning which had burst its bank, a great many acres flooded couldn't see where the river was.

Tewksbury flooding is a common occurrence, that’s why the office is on stilts. Same with C&CC Keswick.

• Like 2

the site is known for flooding, I believe you get 2 hours to get off site when it floods. I have just looked to see when the site closes, 11th November and I read a review asking why the site is not open all year. :blink:

When I was stationed in the signals dept., of RAF Records Office, Gloucester, back in 1957/58, I used to ride my little motorbike past here in Tewkesbury on my way to and from Worcester, (my home town in those days).

I did the 55 mile round trip each day I was on duty.

Seems it is no different now to what it was in those days however, 10 years earlier (in 1947) the weather was even worse!

I recall the very heavy snow lasting throughout January and February.   Nothing to do but go “sledging” every day,

This was all followed by severe flooding through March.   Schools were all closed due to fuel supplies being unable to get through.   Life was so hard for a schoolboy in those days!      :D  :rolleyes:

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc
Typo

Looks like the best place to camp if you wish to go to Tewkesbury, is the church:D.  I notice its on a hill?

23 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

Looks like the best place to camp if you wish to go to Tewkesbury, is the church:D.  I notice its on a hill?

Not a Church,  it's an Abbey. - Tewkesbury Abbey!     -   Google it.

Vin Blanc

14 hours ago, Vin Blanc said:

Not a Church,  it's an Abbey. - Tewkesbury Abbey!     -   Google it.

Vin Blanc

More properly known as the Abbey Church of St Mary the Virgin Tewkesbury - Wikipedia trumps Google. ;)

23 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

People in Worcester and Tewkesbury are very used to the flooding.

Our friends live alongside the river in Worcester, and just accept it as a fact of life.  The ground floor of their house is pretty much waterproofed.  Furniture which can go upstairs.  Solid stone floor.  Electrical sockets at waist height.

Ironically, rainfall in Worcester has been about average.  As people have said, the rain comes off the welsh hills quickly, but as it reaches the flatter ground, it has to spread across the flood plains.  The flood is currently about 4 miles across in south Worcester.

The flood plain land is mostly not built on, and used for farming and leisure use that can be suspended when flooded - horse racing, cricket, caravan club site, etc.

Here's the cricket ground.  The water will drop quickly over the next few days.

flooded cricket ground.jpg

1 hour ago, Tigger said:

People in Worcester and Tewkesbury are very used to the flooding

Are they able to get home and contents insurance or do they just take it on the chin that they are 'un-insurable'?

1 hour ago, Tigger said:

The flood plain land is mostly not built on, and used for farming and leisure use that can be suspended when flooded - horse racing, cricket, caravan club site, etc.

Purely out of curiosity, where is the Caravan Club site in Worcester that you refer to?

I grew up and worked in Worcester (leaving in the late 1960's).  Spent a lot of my schooldays as a member of Worcester Rowing Club (next to the Grandstand Hotel) and on several occasions paddled my Kayak around the Race course when it was flooded! 

Vin Blanc

38 minutes ago, Vin Blanc said:

Purely out of curiosity, where is the Caravan Club site in Worcester that you refer to?...

I meant Tewkesbury - sorry for creating confusion

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Are they able to get home and contents insurance or do they just take it on the chin that they are 'un-insurable'?

I think they have home and contents excluding flood.  ie. they're covered for fire, burglary etc.