Sign in to follow this  
David P

Gas Locker

We had a couple of nights at Chatsworth, on the way down from Hull, after picking up the caravan from the Swift factory. There was a fellow camper, doing his cassette chores and had his gas locker open. To say the least, it was laid out military fashion and not like ours. Taking a leaf out of his book, I have ordered some water hose brackets to hang up the EHU lead. Looking for some plastic boxes or baskets, for the chemical bottles, chocks, leveling wedges, stacker pads etc. Any suggestions?

14 hours ago, David P said:

We had a couple of nights at Chatsworth, on the way down from Hull, after picking up the caravan from the Swift factory. There was a fellow camper, doing his cassette chores and had his gas locker open. To say the least, it was laid out military fashion and not like ours. Taking a leaf out of his book, I have ordered some water hose brackets to hang up the EHU lead. Looking for some plastic boxes or baskets, for the chemical bottles, chocks, leveling wedges, stacker pads etc. Any suggestions?

B&Q do a range of very sturdy plastic boxes in Grey. 

Quite rigid and good quality.

I don't have any in the gas locker but do use them in the boot of the Sorrento.

They are stackable so I find them pretty useful.

Our Tesco have a large range of storage boxes I got the semi transparent ones with lids, you can get an idea what you have in without taking lid off.   I guess all the sort of bargain stores have a selection such as B&M and Home Bargains.

So long as the weight is kept within design limits, then a more orderly locker has to be best.

image.png

Our first new caravan had a large front locker arranged as shown above but with an empty caravan, if the jockey wheel was removed we actually had a negative noseweight!

I rearranged the location of the spare wheel to one end of the locker with the gas cylinders placed at the opposite end. This have sufficient room in the centre to locate both fresh and waste water containers, levelling ramps, wheel chocks, loo chemicals, and assorted cables, pipes and various oddments, yet the noseweight in towing trim was still below 100kgs. 

Unfortunately later caravans had front lockers that were virtually unusable because of the high ex-works noseweight.

Gordon

10 hours ago, Gordon said:

So long as the weight is kept within design limits, then a more orderly locker has to be best.

image.png

Our first new caravan had a large front locker arranged as shown above but with an empty caravan, if the jockey wheel was removed we actually had a negative noseweight!

I rearranged the location of the spare wheel to one end of the locker with the gas cylinders placed at the opposite end. This have sufficient room in the centre to locate both fresh and waste water containers, levelling ramps, wheel chocks, loo chemicals, and assorted cables, pipes and various oddments, yet the noseweight in towing trim was still below 100kgs. 

Unfortunately later caravans had front lockers that were virtually unusable because of the high ex-works noseweight.

Gordon

Our spare is slung in its Alko mount under the caravan! swift has off set the gas bottle storage area to the near side for 2 bottles, leaving a large area for storage. This is where I want to keep EHU leads (we have 2 ) 4 chocks, 2 Milenco ramps and 8 stacker pads and a slim line watering can for filling up the toilet flush (all plastic), also 1ltr of fluid.

If you want good boxes with lids look at the Really Useful range on line. They are sold retail by Homebase and Hobbycraft and you occasionally find market stalls selling them as well (Doncaster - not surprising since they are made at Normanton near Wakefield!) They are very sturdy thick polythene and come in 'useful' sizes - we find the 9L is one of the best. In the way of things they are not too heavy but really are worth the trouble.

Us? We've got a houseful of the darn things let alone the caravan!!

13 hours ago, David P said:

Our spare is slung in its Alko mount under the caravan! swift has off set the gas bottle storage area to the near side for 2 bottles, leaving a large area for storage. This is where I want to keep EHU leads (we have 2 ) 4 chocks, 2 Milenco ramps and 8 stacker pads and a slim line watering can for filling up the toilet flush (all plastic), also 1ltr of fluid.

As you can see from my previous image, the spare wheel was stored (clean and dry) in the front locker. Thankfully we only had one caravan with an Al-Ko underslung spare wheel but it left a lasting impression, such that I always advice folks now to regularly operate the sliding mechanism, and keep it well greased if they are to minimise problems at the roadside following a puncture.

Our later caravans also all had side hatches for the gas cylinders, where the leak detector spray was held along with a spanner to change the bottle coupling as we always used propane with screw fittings.

Like you, the EHU leads, ramps, chocks, loo chemicals etc., all went in the front locker but unfortunately when the gas was moved to a side locker, the front locker was made just too small to take our water containers, so thereafter they were carried in the shower base.

Everything has its place when we are touring, the fun comes when we change vans as new locations often have to be found for many items :blush:

Gordon.

6 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Everything has its place when we are touring, the fun comes when we change vans as new locations often have to be found for many items :blush:

Gordon.

Yes in my case the gas bottles that were in front locker of previous caravan would not fit in present ones side locker and had to use two different ones of standard diameter.

There are many, many terry clips/spring clips screwed onto the back wall and ceiling of our gas locker.

They hold -

aquaroll to caravan water pipe & pump

aquaroll filler pipe

electric drill for corner steadies

manual winder for corner steadies

aquaroll handle

spirit level

adaptor plug for ehu

telescopic broom handle

winder for sun canopy

centre rafter for sun canopy

pole for sun canopy end panel

pole for front window canopy

Many thanks to Lunar for such a sensible full width gas locker with vertical lifting door.

Aldi are currently selling black plastic garden tidies that fit perfectly into my front locker, I’ve bought two of them and use them to store toilet fluids, water pipe etc

586D105C-9814-42B2-BC63-238FD3B24263.png

• Like 1

On 30/10/2019 at 09:22, David 38 said:

Yes in my case the gas bottles that were in front locker of previous caravan would not fit in present ones side locker and had to use two different ones of standard diameter.

This is a problem when caravans are either designed by non-caravanners or in some cases dictated by accountant :unsure:.

• Like 2

Thanks all for your tips.

Purchased 2 Flip lid plastic boxes from Asda, works well. Also some Terry clips to hold the wheel brace and steady winder. All fitter last weekend as we were away for a long weekend, fitted between showers!

Gas locker now look organised!

• Like 1

Really Useful Boxes.

Organised meticulously. Both in the van, house and car.

Expensive but you do get what you pay for.

Inspired by this thread, I opened my gas locker, shuddered, closed it again and tiptoed away.

Maybe next year...

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Glengavel said:

Inspired by this thread, I opened my gas locker, shuddered, closed it again and tiptoed away.

Maybe next year...

Best to keep it tidy, it's useful as an extra bed for a mall kid, kind of turning a 4 berth van into a 5 berth :D

Edited by LeadFarmer
  • Haha 2

when we bought the Bailey, it was the first caravan without the front gas locker and we were a bit worried about not having the room to put the stuff, but when you tidy things (we have the grey foldable plastic crates under the front benches), it's surprising how everything fits in.  

When I was working out how to get the nose weight right whilst still having each tool etc available to hand, I decided to go a different way. The gas locker contains as little as possible other than gas bottles. I bought a nice strong tool bag and put all the bits in it. The bag is organised so that the stuff I need is accessible. When parked up the bag is in the gas locker, but when towing its in the car. It works well. The weight of the full bag made me realise how much all these little bits and bobs really weigh.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ern said:

When I was working out how to get the nose weight right whilst still having each tool etc available to hand, I decided to go a different way. The gas locker contains as little as possible other than gas bottles. I bought a nice strong tool bag and put all the bits in it. The bag is organised so that the stuff I need is accessible. When parked up the bag is in the gas locker, but when towing its in the car. It works well. The weight of the full bag made me realise how much all these little bits and bobs really weigh.

Such a bag is also useful as a noseweight adjuster, simply putting it in the van near front or rear can add, or reduce, noseweight by a few Kg in seconds.