Are Coachman financally stable

Hi.

I am just about to trade my Lunar in for a new Coachman. Deal done just got to sign.

Given the drama's at Lunar recently I do not really want to buy into another company that is likely to fold, even though Lunar  may survive a bit longer under new owners. Given the Caravan market appears to be in decline and motorhome sales stable then would Coachman have the financial muscle to survive a significant downturn bearing in mind they do not build motorhomes to fall back on.

Opinions please.

Andrew

Edited by ascsbe

Certainly their last set of accounts (see attached) show them as profitable @5% profit. Whilst these accounts were from 2017-18 it is hard to say how they are doing now except that they do say that they had a full trade order book.

However, ultimately you must make your own decision. Good luck and I hope that you enjoy whatever you end up buying.

Coachman accounts.pdf

2020 Swift Eccles 650 towed by Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 4.4

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"

If it is your deposit being at risk rather than the customer support ongoing, then paying at least £100 of that deposit on a credit card effectively secures your deposit investment.

Coachman caravans have steadily become increasingly popular over recent years and I think, as an outsider, that the business has probably grown.  We live in an uncertain climate but I would be very surprised if Coachman were to find themselves in difficulty.

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Is ANY company that stable these days? 

Look at Carilion or Thomas Cook, both BIG names, both now bust! 

Andy

• Like 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Yes agree but most people could see Thomas Cook were in big trouble along time before they went under.

The reason I asked was that if you take Lunar out of the question then Coachman are the smallist  left in the UK.   The others are far bigger companies Swift Group. Bailey. Hymer group. who build Motorhomes as well as caravans. 

I appreciate that small does not mean they will be the next to go but talking to traders at the recent show it does appear that the decline in new caravan sales may be bigger than most of us think.

But Coachman build the layout I like and the only option is Bailey and I don't fancy one of them. So will probably have to take a chance. 

Andrew

Edited by ascsbe

I personally think you are probably safer with a small company like Coachman than Swift or Bailey. The old saying," the bigger they are, the harder they fall" springs to mind, and just because a company such as Swift is big, they will be the first to be hit if it all goes pear shaped. Swift have already laid off staff this year, Coachman haven't. Only my opinion, but I have just ordered a 2020 Laser today, and I'm not concerned about uncertainty in the market place, because it might never happen, and I intend enjoying my pastime. Don't lose sleep over something that hasn't happened yet, and may never happen.

• Like 1

2020 VW Touareg R line towing 2019 VIP 565 with powertouch mover.

1 hour ago, toby6033 said:

I personally think you are probably safer with a small company like Coachman than Swift or Bailey. The old saying," the bigger they are, the harder they fall" springs to mind, and just because a company such as Swift is big, they will be the first to be hit if it all goes pear shaped. Swift have already laid off staff this year, Coachman haven't. Only my opinion, but I have just ordered a 2020 Laser today, and I'm not concerned about uncertainty in the market place, because it might never happen, and I intend enjoying my pastime. Don't lose sleep over something that hasn't happened yet, and may never happen.

Well done on your order. I have got a reservation on a 565 Acadia Highbridge Design model. A few extras included. Because I have not actually seen there version I have a fully refundable deposit on it. If I don't like the upholstery I will go for the standard version and look at options on the upholstery.

Well done ascsbe, I hope the van matches your expectations and you like the upholstery. We've actually gone for the 665, and i'm still in shock because we aren't a lover of centre washrooms, but it all seems to work very well in the Coachman. Good luck.

2020 VW Touareg R line towing 2019 VIP 565 with powertouch mover.

The 565 has two single beds and then bathroom along the back. Currently have the same layout on our lunar. 4 birth. Spent hours at the show looking at central bathrooms but decided in the end to stick with what we have. very boring but a very roomy layout. Feb/March delivery.

3 hours ago, ascsbe said:

Well done on your order. I have got a reservation on a 565 Acadia Highbridge Design model. A few extras included. Because I have not actually seen there version I have a fully refundable deposit on it. If I don't like the upholstery I will go for the standard version and look at options on the upholstery.

According to their salesman on the Coachman stand at the recent NEC show the Highbridge special edition uses the upholstery from the Laser range. The Wanderhome special edition uses the same upholstery, we ordered one at the show & got a much better deal than offered by Highbridge. It’s a long trip for us to collect it (around 250m) but will be our third from them & 5th Coachman. 

Whilst there are no guarantees, Coachman expanded their factory last year to accommodate increased demand for their vans. They have also just launched some lovely 8ft wide models (not for us, but there is a growing market for them) and they were promoting two campervans at the recent NEC show. Hope you enjoy your new van - we have the 565 layout in our 2017 Pastiche and find it works really well for us.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2017 Coachman Pastiche 565.

Coachman have just started making Camper vans and were shown at the NEC (saw it on Caravan Finder TV I think).

Any of them could go down the road, but I think they only make to order, rather than stock, as  many got stung in 2008 with all the cash tied up in stock no one wanted to buy.

Really need to be wary of posts like this. The law of self fulfilling prophecy might kick in.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

3 hours ago, Benny65 said:

Coachman have just started making Camper vans and were shown at the NEC (saw it on Caravan Finder TV I think).

Any of them could go down the road, but I think they only make to order, rather than stock, as  many got stung in 2008 with all the cash tied up in stock no one wanted to buy.

The swinging increase in VED for campers over £40k could present that venture with some extra challenges?

19 hours ago, SKH said:

According to their salesman on the Coachman stand at the recent NEC show the Highbridge special edition uses the upholstery from the Laser range. The Wanderhome special edition uses the same upholstery, we ordered one at the show & got a much better deal than offered by Highbridge. It’s a long trip for us to collect it (around 250m) but will be our third from them & 5th Coachman. 

I have dealt with Highbridge  for about 30 years and always found them very good both on trade in values but more importantly after sales.

From where I live I would certainly not want to deal with a dealer a long way away as if something is wrong and needs work it is a long way to go. Highbridge all the time for me.

• Thanks 1
On 28/10/2019 at 14:25, madasmad said:

Certainly their last set of accounts (see attached) show them as profitable @5% profit. Whilst these accounts were from 2017-18 it is hard to say how they are doing now except that they do say that they had a full trade order book.

However, ultimately you must make your own decision. Good luck and I hope that you enjoy whatever you end up buying.

Coachman accounts.pdf 1.56 MB · 10 downloads

Doesn't it actually show 16% profit for 2018. IE £6m profit on £36m turnover?

2 hours ago, Towtug said:

Doesn't it actually show 16% profit for 2018. IE £6m profit on £36m turnover?

£6m is the Gross Profit, before overheads & tax, the net profit is £1.5m.

Yes, I think the key with Coachman is , apart from a relative few dealer demonstrators, they only manufacture to the orders received. means no excess stock hanging over to the next model year which is bad for dealers and manufacturers.

From customer viewpoint (and we've just ordered our third) it means the van you get has essentially been built for you and has not hung around a dealers lot waiting to be sold.

• I agree completely 1

We are going to see a Coachman Xcel, 8ft wide, tomorrow and not bothered about any company problems, have had 2 companies go down shortly after buying from them.

If they are built to order what delivery time are we talking about?

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

3 hours ago, IanV8 said:

We are going to see a Coachman Xcel, 8ft wide, tomorrow and not bothered about any company problems, have had 2 companies go down shortly after buying from them.

If they are built to order what delivery time are we talking about?

Ian

Ian

They build in model batches so the dealer should tell you when your particular model is due for manufacture.

When we ordered ours (an Acadia 520) it was early October. Build date is late November (we might have  just been lucky with the schedule). We've even got the VIN number for 'our' van even though it's not been built yet.

My dealer special 565 Acadia is Feb/March 2020.  Could have had one earlier but quite happy to wait.

They try to assess customer demand and build in batches, as stated above. They can be a little flexible if one particular layout is proving more popular though. When we ordered our current van at the NEC show in Oct 2016, our dealer produced a schedule of delivery dates. Their first date for our model was Jan/Feb 2017 and it was spot on. If we hadn’t taken this slot we would’ve waited until May/June.