On reading this month's Practical Caravan (either this month's or last month's).  Anyway, they put out a question of how do people clean their caravans.  One chap said that he used a product called Greased Lightning.  You don't need water, and it cleans and waxes the car, and can be used on caravans, boats and other likeminded items.

My caravan is on a secure compound, with no water supply, so you would have to bring your own.  I can't manage a large container, so I thought I would try this product.  I looked on Amazon and you can buy a litre of the main cleaner, two cloths, one for cleaning the muck off and the other for buffing up afterwards, a bottle of cleaner to clean your tyres and a bottle of window shine.  This product on Amazon costs approx. £40.00.  So I just Googled the product, and QVC came up, and there it was, £15.00.  So I went for Amazon (only joking:lol:).  Did the caravan, and it was totally amazing.  It works.  I didn't use the window stuff as its for glass, so I just used the main cleaner.  It even wiped off the black streaks.  Although, on my caravan, there wasn't much there as I use those awning rail protectors which stops it.  The main dirt was algi, as I haven't used the caravan since September last year, as hubby spent most of this year in hospital.   Afterwards, I put the cloths into boiling hot water.  Can be cleaned in the washing machine, but not with fabric conditioner/softener 

• I agree completely 1

We keep our ‘van in the garden so we have water and washing it is no problem.  However,  we always take Greased Lightning with us on our annual month long holiday in France every year and use it on the car and the front of the caravan.  It’s a very good product.

John.

• Like 1

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

We have a similar situation where our storage has no water. I use autoglym Rapid Detailer and it’s brilliant. Also use it to have a quick wipe over when we get on site...

use more than 2 cloths tho’ did it today and used 8 microfibres and another couple for the glass. All in all took about an hour, so it is pretty rapid👍

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

Hey Babs, you are a bit behind the times.

Take for example THIS  (Note the posting date)

We treat it as a closely guarded secret on CT  but now you have sussed us  :unsure:  Curses

Edited by BOAC
Typo
  • Haha 1

Many members here on CT will remember the hoo-ha about 5 or 6 years ago when the manufacturers offered free bottles of Greased Lightning if you posted on a particular thread.

Nothing arrived and after a while they admitted that they’d completely underestimated the responses that they’d get.

Eventually, many of us received our free gifts, which turned out to be about the size of those shampoo bottles you get in hotels, along with a couple of minuscule clothes ... shown here next to my specs for comparison ...

5EB30410-4FCD-456B-814B-DFD7EFD4D4CC.jpeg.434a46ea2ae1ac5a56a5786377051030.jpeg

I used it to clean about a square foot of bodywork, but there was insufficient for me to get any indication of how good it may have been!

John

Edited by Johnaldo

I get mine from Greased Lightning direct.

Free delivery on over £20, and 15% off your first order if you sign up for the newsletter.

I buy mine by the US gallon (3.78 litres).

Greased Lightning Website

Edited by onewheelonmywagon
  • Like 1

Land Rover having a rest.

I use WILLIAMS WATERLESS WASH N WAX obtain mine from ideal world shopping channel (freeview channel 22) if you buy at the right time five 1ltr bottles £25 used to use greased lightning but find this to be a better product  would think with Christmas coming soon the special deals will soon be appearing.

regards Martin

15 minutes ago, bubble2015 said:

Is Greased Lightening OK for an annual polish or just for a quick clean between annual cleans?

I can only say how I use it. We do 3 tours in the caravan and one stay of two weeks or so. Caravan is normally washed with fenwicks 4 times a year and twice a year has Greased Lightening applied after washing. Works for me. 

Edited by Easy T
  • Like 1

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

We've used Armor All tissues, One Dry Wash, Turtle, Greased Lightening dry washes in the past. Over the past 2 years though we've had an Eriba which we store at home so we can use Fenwicks followed by their Bobby Dazzler.

This has worked brilliantly with Meguiars Boat Polish for the roof twice a year.

On occasions though we've used Aldi's  dry wash which is massively cheaper and as with other dry washes as long as one keeps to microfibre cloths as advised it's given brilliant ( pardon the pun) results.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

We take the aquaroll and all the water containers home with us and take them and a bucket of shampoo etc with us to storage and clean it with that-all the containers we have plus roll is pretty much sufficient. Every 6months a wax polish followed by carplan supergloss makes it easy to clean next time; am going to try waterless wash at some point for a lightly soiled van but wouldn't use it on a muddy etc van!

37 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

Wasn’t it Bailey who said not to use Carnauba wax or am I mistaken?

I believe you will find that it was removed from their conditions long ago.  Their was a long discussion on here to that effect.  Resulting in the following reply from Bailey to another member.

So in a moment of “Nothing better to do” I emailed Bailey and asked them why I shouldn’t use Carnauba based wax, Their reply was.......

Thank you for your email.

We do advise to use a good quality wax. The advice given in regards to the use of carnauba was should have been omitted from the handbook and I will pass this on to our handbook team and we do apologise for any confusion this may have caused. In regards to cleaning products please visit the Prima website. https://www.primaleisure.com/

Edited by Alan Stanley

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

SOLD our PEgasus now but all my car wax is Carnauba and I had to buy alternatives ! Wish I had known!! GRRRR

12 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

Wasn’t it Bailey who said not to use Carnauba wax or am I mistaken?

11 hours ago, Alan Stanley said:

I believe you will find that it was removed from their conditions long ago.  Their was a long discussion on here to that effect.  Resulting in the following reply from Bailey to another member.

So in a moment of “Nothing better to do” I emailed Bailey and asked them why I shouldn’t use Carnauba based wax, Their reply was.......

Thank you for your email.

We do advise to use a good quality wax. The advice given in regards to the use of carnauba was should have been omitted from the handbook and I will pass this on to our handbook team and we do apologise for any confusion this may have caused. In regards to cleaning products please visit the Prima website. https://www.primaleisure.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Not cheap but looks good although I have not tried it. https://www.qvcuk.com/Worx-WG629E1-20v-Hydroshot-Cordless-Pressure-Washer-with-Accessories.product.514257.html?sc=SRCH

Without a long brush and lots of water the roof is a problem if you have no mains power available.

On 27/10/2019 at 19:47, Babstreefern said:

On reading this month's Practical Caravan (either this month's or last month's).  Anyway, they put out a question of how do people clean their caravans.  One chap said that he used a product called Greased Lightning.  You don't need water, and it cleans and waxes the car, and can be used on caravans, boats and other likeminded items.

My caravan is on a secure compound, with no water supply, so you would have to bring your own.  I can't manage a large container, so I thought I would try this product.  I looked on Amazon and you can buy a litre of the main cleaner, two cloths, one for cleaning the muck off and the other for buffing up afterwards, a bottle of cleaner to clean your tyres and a bottle of window shine.  This product on Amazon costs approx. £40.00.  So I just Googled the product, and QVC came up, and there it was, £15.00.  So I went for Amazon (only joking:lol:).  Did the caravan, and it was totally amazing.  It works.  I didn't use the window stuff as its for glass, so I just used the main cleaner.  It even wiped off the black streaks.  Although, on my caravan, there wasn't much there as I use those awning rail protectors which stops it.  The main dirt was algi, as I haven't used the caravan since September last year, as hubby spent most of this year in hospital.   Afterwards, I put the cloths into boiling hot water.  Can be cleaned in the washing machine, but not with fabric conditioner/softener 

I have been using grease lightning for a few years, however, I do not trust the it will not scratch claim, I have a small hozelock pump sprayer, I add a little Autoglmy shampoo and water and spray the panels, then wipe of with a wet cloth and bucket of water, them I use the grease lightning.

2020 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4  PHEV and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT

On 21/11/2019 at 15:25, Wildwood said:

Not cheap but looks good although I have not tried it. https://www.qvcuk.com/Worx-WG629E1-20v-Hydroshot-Cordless-Pressure-Washer-with-Accessories.product.514257.html?sc=SRCH

Without a long brush and lots of water the roof is a problem if you have no mains power available.

I thought that pressure washers were a no no on caravans

7 minutes ago, joanie said:

I thought that pressure washers were a no no on caravans

They are AFAIC … I would never use one on a caravan.

John

I have a cordless Hydroshot with the new brushless motor. It delivers a larger volume of water although at a similar pressure to the brushed motor. It is nothing like as powerful as my mains electric Karcher, which I wouldn't use on the van. I've used it on my caravan and it doesn't get past any seals on the side lockers etc. It makes cleaning my van a lot easier and I use the soap dispenser, optional extra on mine, for applying fenwicks shampoo and then for the bobby dazzler. I keep the spray nozzle about a meter away from the van and it's absolutely fine. Rinse the van off and wash away leaves etc. Then apply fenwicks cleaner, one panel at a time, and use a brush or sponge. I use a telescopic ladder to reach the roof and a telescopic brush. I rinse the cleaner off with plain water first and then go over the lot with bobby dazzler, all done with the Hydroshot. The Hydroshot is not powerful enough clean algae off a patio. It's fine IMHO for caravans, unless you've already got leaky seals, and even heavy rain can get past them. Mine came with a 4ah battery which almost did all of the above but I had to use the spare battery (extra purchase) to finish. It's the first time I've actually enjoyed cleaning the van ;).

John

ps; it's handy for the car as well and setting it at low pressure, it's got an eco setting, you can even spray the mud off a dirty dog. ;)

pps;  The storage site I use has washing areas with hoses and I connected the Hydroshot to the hose. It doesn't increase the pressure but means you don't have to keep filling buckets. You can use buckets, if you want, as it's self priming.

Edited by johntog
  • Like 1
  • 5 months later...
On 24/11/2019 at 13:54, johntog said:

I have a cordless Hydroshot with the new brushless motor.

I keep meaning to buy the brushless Hydroshot, I don't have water at the storage site but I have a couple of extra large buckets with lids so I could take water to the site.

10 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

I keep meaning to buy the brushless Hydroshot, I don't have water at the storage site but I have a couple of extra large buckets with lids so I could take water to the site.

If you do get one this is a very useful accessory for it  WORX WA4039 Hydroshot Pivot Nozzle Accessory

Helpful for doing the roof etc.

John