Grizzly Bathplug

Winter charging.

We have wrapped up pur caravan for the winter, with cover & emptied all the water to stop any split pipes hopefully.
I am looking to buy a mains plug adaptor, & extension for keeping the battery topped up, maybe charing for 8 hours a month running straight of the mains via the mains lead.
Do i need to invest in a trickle charger & leave it connected all the time, or is what i have described going to suffice.
Any help & advice would be welcome.
Cheers!
Grizzly

What you suggest is fine although for me if the charger in your van is a modern day charger eg 3 stage or better I would leave it on charge all of the time and probably leave the heating on very low setting.

5 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

What you suggest is fine although for me if the charger in your van is a modern day charger eg 3 stage or better I would leave it on charge all of the time and probably leave the heating on very low setting.

+1

IMO you are better off just putting a charger (ideally a smart charger that gets the battery up to 14.4v) on the battery for say 12- 24 hours once a month to keep it refreshed.

Leaving  it on trickle charge can  slowly corrode the plates unless the battery is specifically designed for standby-use (which most van batteries aren't). It also wastes energy. Most van chargers dont actually fully charge a battery as they only get up to 13.6-13.8v which is the same as a trickle charger.

If you can bring the battery indoors and use a bench charger a) it will be easier to monitor and b) it will be protected from frost/freezing temps.