Can not find mirrors !!

SteveT73

I have used the "Special Mirror" from Repusel for many years. I found them to be versatile in fitting several different profiles of towcar mirror and giving a good vibration-free view of the road behind. They are available with either flat or convex mirror heads.

image.png

image.png

image.png

This image shows our daughter leaning on the car many years ago but more importantly shows the "Davit", a webbing strap that attaches to the front wing with a super strong sucker and prevents the mirror from blowing back, vibrating, or sliding off of the end of the profiled mirror head of the car.

image.png

There is an alternative support accessory, comprising a short bar that attaches between the mirror arm and the door, where it is attached with a large magnetic pad but I have no experience of how effective this is .

25 minutes ago, Gordon said:

I have used the "Special Mirror" from Repusel for many years. I found them to be versatile in fitting several different profiles of towcar mirror and giving a good vibration-free view of the road behind. They are available with either flat or convex mirror heads.

image.png

image.png

image.png

This image shows our daughter leaning on the car many years ago but more importantly shows the "Davit", a webbing strap that attaches to the front wing with a super strong sucker and prevents the mirror from blowing back, vibrating, or sliding off of the end of the profiled mirror head of the car.

image.png

There is an alternative support accessory, comprising a short bar that attaches between the mirror arm and the door, where it is attached with a large magnetic pad but I have no experience of how effective this is .

I have a spare set of these - brand new which I will put in FS section soon.

Sam :beardy:

Range Rover Sport - Auto Sleepers Kensington

I have a 2012 Astra which appears to have the same wing mirrors as your car. I use the Halfords mirrors they attach with straps round the mirror and whilst they look like they fit square only mirrors they do attach well. Only cost £15 I think.

Edited by Edde
Details missing

On 25/10/2019 at 22:34, ReggiePerrin said:

I have a replacement set of clamp pads for the Disco / early Freelander 2 mirrors...

F16EC5C3-B3FE-4B0A-8793-E10CD6C2D515.jpeg.8738b0b89d77b8061764420aa8a01bc9.jpeg

Milenco now do a specific pad for the later Land Rover Discovery and RRS mirrors which is supposed to overcome the issue. They work fairly well but if you get an old bike inner tube and cut it into small lengths and place this over the fixed part of the clamp this makes them less slippery and they stay put much better.

I've used these on a cx-5 for 5 years and now on a Tiguan which has the same looking shape as your Vauxhall, i also have a pair of grand Aero but wount use them .

https://www.caravan-components.co.uk/Milenco-MGI-Steady-View-Towing-Mirror-Twinpack

On 28/10/2019 at 15:48, Gordon said:

+1     Had these mirrors for many years on Citroen C5s and my current Skoda. Because of the suckers and strap, they fit just about anything and stay put. Expensive but well worth it and spares are available if something breaks or goes missing.

John M

2017 Skoda Superb Estate 2. 0 Tdi 190; 2014 Swift Challenger 530SE + Powrtouch Evolution

16 hours ago, xtrailman said:

I've used these on a cx-5 for 5 years and now on a Tiguan which has the same looking shape as your Vauxhall, i also have a pair of grand Aero but wount use them .

https://www.caravan-components.co.uk/Milenco-MGI-Steady-View-Towing-Mirror-Twinpack

Any reason why you don't use your Grand Aero's?

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

11 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Any reason why you don't use your Grand Aero's?

Vibration on the cx-5 and i don't like the clamp only method, the cheap ones clamp and have rubber straps,  my previous mirrors i had on two xtrails for 9 years wouldn't fit the cx-5 and they were great and strap only.

• 2 months later...

Hi Steve, How did you get on with mirrors for your New shape Insignia. Just getting Caravan in Feb and need to buy Mirrors for my Insignia.

Anybody else got the answer?

If Milenco what one?

On 25/10/2019 at 19:49, ReggiePerrin said:

AA6E799A-8F0D-4D47-8930-FDAA2C533AA8.thumb.jpeg.de8d4801f0182dfb9ba5801dc6adc34b.jpeg

Leisurewize 'Suck It & See’ mirrors affix to the glass rather than the housing.  They come as a twin or a single pack in either convex or flat versions.  Around £30 per pair.

Never used them and never even known anybody that has so I make no comment as to their usefulness, durability etc.  

I bought a pair of these mirrors wen I first started caravaning. I set of from home and had travelled about four miles where there was a lay-by.  I pulled in and took them off, in that short distance the drove me nuts! They vibrated like sin.

You may find some people like them but not me!!!

Later in the week I went to Chichester Caravans and was looking at the mirrors, a salesman asked if he could help and I said that I wasn't sure which mirrors to choose. He said take a selection out to your car and see how they fit, which I did.

The Melinco were far and away the best and I have used the same pair ever since on three different cars.

Alan

On 05/11/2019 at 15:45, xtrailman said:

I have had the same as yours for many years and have had the same ones on my Disco's, Freelander II and now for the past couple of years on my Kia Sorento - absolutely brilliant and no vibration and our travels are mainly long journeys through Europe.

Alan

After more than 35 years caravanning changed to motorhome for 5 years and loved it but now back in the fold of caravanning but still miss our motorhome.

Kia Sorento KX3 Auto - 2021 Coachman Laser Xcel 575 Sussex Caravans Limited Edition

• 1 month later...

Having read this rather old thread I'm still at a loss regarding mirrors for my new Santa Fe.  Grand Aeros were fine on the last model but don't work with the new one.  I've tried top and bottom fixing and there's no room for the clamps at the top and even with a tentative tighten the surround is marked on the bottom.  In addition I'm fairly well convinced at least the bottom edge is hollow. 

The top edge of the mirror has no horizontal area to fix clamps easily and securely.  The rear of the casing is "bulbous" in shape and that is compounded with the fixing "arm" to the car.  

I'd more or less decided the Repulsel would do the job but having now looked more carefully at the rear of the mirror, particularly the mounting "arm" I'm not so sure.  I looks as though the Repulsel requires a section of the mirror top casing to be horizontal or at least close! 

Couple of questions then:

1 Gordon has Repulsels and maybe other members.  From experience and looking at my pic are they likely to fit?

2 Has anyone got a new Santa Fe (2018 onward) and can recommend a towing mirror please. 

Many thanks. 

Edit - These might do the job?  Anyone got them?  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wheels-Bits-PREMIUM-CARAVAN-EXTENSION/dp/B00ZV23NVU

mirror.png

Edited by Squash
Extra Information

45 minutes ago, Squash said:

Having read this rather old thread I'm still at a loss regarding mirrors for my new Santa Fe.  Grand Aeros were fine on the last model but don't work with the new one.  I've tried top and bottom fixing and there's no room for the clamps at the top and even with a tentative tighten the surround is marked on the bottom.  In addition I'm fairly well convinced at least the bottom edge is hollow. 

The top edge of the mirror has no horizontal area to fix clamps easily and securely.  The rear of the casing is "bulbous" in shape and that is compounded with the fixing "arm" to the car.  

I'd more or less decided the Repulsel would do the job but having now looked more carefully at the rear of the mirror, particularly the mounting "arm" I'm not so sure.  I looks as though the Repulsel requires a section of the mirror top casing to be horizontal or at least close! 

Couple of questions then:

1 Gordon has Repulsels and maybe other members.  From experience and looking at my pic are they likely to fit?

2 Has anyone got a new Santa Fe (2018 onward) and can recommend a towing mirror please. 

Many thanks. 

Edit - These might do the job?  Anyone got them?  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wheels-Bits-PREMIUM-CARAVAN-EXTENSION/dp/B00ZV23NVU

I can do better than that.  I live in chesterfield and have a brand new set of repusals sitting unloved in my garage.  pm me for tel number and you can pick them up and try them - if they work make me an offer.

I have sent you a pm

Edited by SamD
  • Thanks 1

Sam :beardy:

Range Rover Sport - Auto Sleepers Kensington

Just to publicly thank Sam.  His mirrors fit perfectly and I'm grateful.

Nice to submit something that's not doom and gloom.  

• Like 2

On 25/10/2019 at 19:54, David 38 said:

I used mine once terrible unsteady didn't fall off but I was expecting them to at any minute.

Aso the big sucker in middle of car mirror is distracting as it stops you seeing in both mirrors.

Funnily enough we just passed a towing car on our way back from dropping our van of at the dealers earlier which had ones like this. We commented on how small they looked and that we didn’t fancy them being stuck into the car mirror glass.

i would say, despite the extra cost, our newly bought EMUK mirrors which we used for the first time today, we’re absolutely brilliant in all respects.

My Milenco Aero 3’s are about to go up for sale having only done 20 miles as they don’t take kindly to the new X3 mirror housing.

Towing: 2023 Elddis Chatsworth 860