Sign in to follow this  
Johnaldo

Slip-Stop

I would guess many of you have received one of these flyers with your club magazines recently.

It’s promoting an invention for holding a ladder securely to your caravan or motorhome whilst cleaning or working on the roof.

There’s no prices quoted and the website doesn’t appear to be up and running yet, but it says that all profits go to Parkinson’s and MS research.

Looks a good idea, but with the niggle in the back of my mind that the awning rail may not be up to the job of holding 14 stone !

BA28B0EC-EBEE-4B13-BBD6-D8DDD9FEF2C9.jpeg.116a8ab3b428eaf199aca0d17d211ce0.jpeg    

918AE857-D767-4823-AC32-633FA00F0343.jpeg.31a2ed29f32cf367bb0f766e1828cb02.jpeg  

What do you think?

John

Edited by Johnaldo

I think it’s designed to stop the ladder sliding rather than arresting anyone falling. 

Strikes me as another (probably expensive);gadget that will gets used perhaps twice and then put away in the garage along with all the other other (not so) useful “stuff” 

I doubt they will be having any of my money.

Andy

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I think that for the  10 stone 'average ' man that is often quoted , it may be okay but  not for anyone any heavier than that.  There are plenty of other ladder safety devices around. 

PLEASE note  just looked them up and the shop is not open yet :o

https://mp-innovent.co.uk/

To distribute the flyers before opening the website and shop is unprofessional. I do not buy safety equipment from unprofessional suppliers.

• Like 1

I use a lightweight aluminium ladder resting against the awning rail to reach the roof of the caravan to clean it

I have a piece of pipe insulation taped to the top of the ladder on each rail to protect the awning rail.

This looks like an invention for a none existent problem.

• Like 3
  • +1 3

18 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I think it’s designed to stop the ladder sliding rather than arresting anyone falling. 

Strikes me as another (probably expensive);gadget that will gets used perhaps twice and then put away in the garage along with all the other other (not so) useful “stuff” 

I doubt they will be having any of my money.

Andy

I noted on mine, before it headed for the recycling bin, that it specifies the tether is not to arrest a fall, just to restrain your movements. Hmm - I think I'd probably feel safer without it, then - if anything does slip & I fell, I wouldn't want a tethered ladder complicating my fall further!

Just now, Grandpa Steve said:

I have a piece of pipe insulation taped to the top of the ladder on each rail to protect the awning rail.

GS, the idea behind this invention seems to be the prevention of accidents (ie the ladder sliding sideways or tipping backwards) rather than protection of the van ... and ladder accidents are not ‘non existent problems’ as I can personally vouch ☹️

John

If you read it carefully it says it's only to "stop" the ladder sliding, and to stop you overreaching sideways. 

It specifically says it is NOT to arrest you if you fall.

Common old step ladder for me for the roof and a spare door step for the rest.

Got no problem making a donation to Parkinson’s and MS research, but agree with Mr Plodd, have got a garage, shed and loft full of 'that looks useful' stuff.

Not having the means to sell a product once you have created a demand or interest does seem a bit of an odd marketing ploy!!.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jacko1 said:

Not having the means to sell a product once you have created a demand or interest does seem a bit of an odd marketing ploy!!

I agree Jacko.
Thousands of ‘vanners will have the flyer land on the doormat in the next few days ... and they’ll think “I’ll give that a try” ... then find that the website’s down ... and think it over for a day and decide not to bother ... so all those impulse buys have been missed.  Very poor planning.

John

Statement "Your head will be falling much further than your body" - not really!

Statement "It fastens your ladder to the caravan and you to your ladder. This then allows you to work hands free in complete safety" - Any suggestion of working off a ladder without holding on is bad advice. Also securing the device to the caravan and then yourself to the device is suggesting the device will arrest your fall. despite the disclaimer at the foot of the flyer.

In all a very misleading advert for a device that doesn't really do anything to safeguard the user.

• Like 2

It would be much more useful to come up with an invention that would clean the caravan roof without getting up a ladder! Washing the van is my least favourite activity and I have to confess to taking risks when reaching across with my long brush. I nearly came to grief this week when the alloy extending ladder I use decided to fold in on itself - my fault as I hadn't checked it was secure. Fortunately only my pride was hurt, but it woke me up to the fact that at 72 my van roof washing days are numbered and I'll have to come up with an alternative.

On 25/10/2019 at 12:04, Grandpa Steve said:

I use a lightweight aluminium ladder resting against the awning rail to reach the roof of the caravan to clean it

I've said it before but if your van is in storage, lean your ladder against next door's van - sorted.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, SamD said:

I've said it before but if your van is in storage, lean your ladder against next door's van - sorted.

I guess you could also use a long handled brush and stand on the neighbours caravan roof to clean your own, that way there would be no risk of you putting a dent in your own roof :)

• Haha 3

I wash the roof through the skylight by standing on a small step ladder inside the caravan easy enough.

• Like 1

I watched a couple of big strapping lads cleaning the solar panels on our single storey Aldi store yesterday. Lanyards, harnesses, safety helmets ..even the ‘mop and bucket’ had some retaining device. It took 3 times as long securing themselves as cleaning the panels. And this on a 30 ? degree roof.  I am having a new roof on my bungalow in a few weeks time. I will have to put up with scaffolding around the place but let’s hope they won’t be banging pitons into the chimney and belaying themselves across the huge high altitude traverse. :rolleyes:

Sorry but if you need strapping to a ladder that’s strapped to your caravan....you really need someone to do the cleaning for you.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, oldboy said:

I wash the roof through the skylight by standing on a small step ladder inside the caravan easy enough.

You should have a board under the feet of the steps to distribute the weight, as your weight could push one of the feet through the very thin ply floor :)

I have one of these w hich I originally bought to use when cutting my 90 yards of privet hedge, and it’s great for cleaning the van roof too  …973B7000-53CF-42CE-B794-4413AD765F56.thumb.jpeg.4c10f5dbd22de535c0f36976e633c056.jpeg

Thinking laterally, I’ve heard that people use “Wet And Forget” on their van’s roof - has anyone here tried it?

John

Our last van used to live under a walnut tree and algal growth on the roof was a problem until I sprayed it with Wet and Forget after cleaning the roof. It reduced the algae significantly, made cleaning a little easier, and seemed to last for a few months.

The link now shows the site up and running including a video.  I accept the comments made but think it is superior and simpler than using a towel wrapped around the ladder or pipe insulation.  Also, on the caravan 'Type C' model @ £46, though not shown well, it looks like there is a non slip bar to spread the weight of the person just below the awning channel and behind the apron.  

I may consider one, cant see me using the lanyard though.  I am very confident on ladders, but they certainly do slip sideways easily.

A bit overpriced even if postage is included.  but going to good causes.

The video shows the method to be used to get on the roof.  But fails to mention that not all roofs are safe to access.

John