Sign in to follow this  
Durbanite

ALDE power consumption

1 minute ago, Durbanite said:

Thanks but I have the manual downloaded but nowhere is it mentioned that the 2kw is actually 2.1kw.  Also they use 230v and 10amp for 2kw as a reference which added to the confusion.  :D

There is on page 8 here under Technical Data.

https://products.alde.se/storage/media/15554015185cb58b2e3e2c1/v-3020-rev-1767-bruksanvisning-180507-gb.pdf

But it does leave the anonymity  that it needs referencing to a specific voltage, as you comment.

1 hour ago, Woodentop said:

I am confused. As far as I can find my Alde 3020HE allows gas OR electric but not both together nor, AFAICT, does it auto switch between them.

Am I doing summat wrong?

Another quick question on the same topic. Has anyone fitted the remote internal temp sensor, or the external sensor to show temp? Our unit generally has a room temp about 2C below the screen setting I suspect because the controller sensor (default) is in the back of the unit which is inside the wardrobe where the header tank also resides.

Yes, I fitted the remote sensor - these come with a short or long lead to assist location. The existing sensor is indeed in the Alde control panel, the back of which is in an overhead locker in our van. The locker is not heated, so the system tends to overheat the van unless you start fiddling with the offset settings and an independent thermometer against which to calibrate. Its very simple to fit as there is already a dedicated connection point at the back of the panel.

Don't assume all sites give you 240v all the time.  Depending on the site's infrastructure, the voltage can/may drop depending on how many 'vans are on the site. The lowest we've seen is 195v with 16A at the individual bollards. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Checking the ALDE manual there is not any reference to the power specifications.  I cannot find the maximum power consumption of the unit.  If I have the setting on 2kw that equates to the ALDE system being limited to drawing a maximum of about 8.33amps.

If we are on a site where the maximum amp available is 10amp and the ALDE system does use +8amp, then leaves very little room for any other appliances to operate before tripping the bollard. 

Am I right in thinking that using the ALDE system on 1kw offers a lot more leeway for other systems to operate however being on 1kw it will take longer to heat up, but will still heat up to the same temperature whether using 1kw, 2kw or even 3kw?  Thanks.

Yes - but on 1kw in cold temperatures, around zero, there's insufficient power to get the coolant up to the cut-out temperature and may not get the caravan up to the desired temperature.

• I agree completely 1

13 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Checking the ALDE manual there is not any reference to the power specifications.  I cannot find the maximum power consumption of the unit.  If I have the setting on 2kw that equates to the ALDE system being limited to drawing a maximum of about 8.33amps.

If we are on a site where the maximum amp available is 10amp and the ALDE system does use +8amp, then leaves very little room for any other appliances to operate before tripping the bollard. 

Am I right in thinking that using the ALDE system on 1kw offers a lot more leeway for other systems to operate however being on 1kw it will take longer to heat up, but will still heat up to the same temperature whether using 1kw, 2kw or even 3kw?  Thanks.

At 1K setting our Alde central heating system is doing nothing up here especially up at Brora and Dunnet Bay when it can be blowing a gale and 8C at mid day in high “summer”😂😂.

To heat our Swift Conqueror 560 our usual method is to set priority to electric and run both gas and electric at 1K during the day when we are in the caravan and 2K at 15C when we are out.

Overnight we run 2K plus gas.

On our summer trips in Lancaster or Yorkshire it can sometimes be warm enough not to have any heating at all for the entire stay.

This season we have used 12 kilos of gas total cost £60 for 12 weeks - peanuts compared to our house space heating by gas supplemented by 3 cubes of hardwood logs which cost £200 just for the three cubes.

Coldest we have had on 1KW heating is possibly 2C night and max 7c day. Not a problem

12 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Thanks but I have the manual downloaded but nowhere is it mentioned that the 2kw is actually 2.1kw.  Also they use 230v and 10amp for 2kw as a reference which added to the confusion.  :D

On the manual I have downloaded the specification for the heating elements is defined on page 12.  What is not mentioned anywhere is the capacity of the installed convectors to dissipate the heat.   As this is dependant upon the installation.

Also the  voltage specification for the U.K. is 230V  -6% - +10%.  It used to be 240V but a paperwork exercise unified the nominal voltage in Europe, so nothing actually changed when the U.K. voltage was reduced from 240V to 230V. 

Based on 22mm pipework, Alde wet convectors give out 400w per metre of convector as per the Alde installation guide 👍.

52 minutes ago, Pebble said:

Based on 22mm pipework, Alde wet convectors give out 400w per metre of convector as per the Alde installation guide 👍.

Yes I know that.   What I don’t know and I suspect that no one else know’s is how many meters of convectors are installed in my van.  Then there is underfloor heating to be taken into account.   The Alde system is very installation dependant.  

1 hour ago, Pebble said:

Only where they can. 

That depends on the installation affording them free convection of air and the temperatures involved so it is far from a count of the metres of convectors fitted.

15 minutes ago, fred said:

Yes I know that.   What I don’t know and I suspect that no one else know’s is how many meters of convectors are installed in my van.  Then there is underfloor heating to be taken into account.   The Alde system is very installation dependant.  

It's really not everso difficult to get a tape measure out and measure the length of finned convectors to get an estimation of the output. Likewise the aluminium pipework and and any radiators/towel rails. 

If you really desperately wanted to know then you could ask the van manufacturers, especially when it comes to the underfloor heating.

Also take into account the amount of ventilation around the convectors to allow the air in and out of the bed boxes etc and be aware that stuffing bedding and other stuff in them will reduce the airflow and heat dissipation

Edited by matelodave

If it is so easy to calculate why isn’t quoted in the manufactures data?    Actually all ours are hidden so I really don’t know how many I have, or the length.  They are not plonked randomly in bed boxes   I also have underfloor heating I have absolutely no idea how much that contributes, actually I don’t care because it works.   The Alde technician who changed the fluid in our van, said that he would like to test in a cold chamber, because he thought it might be the fastest heat up time he had seen. Maybe he tells everyone this, because it’s what they want to hear?

Do not misunderstand me I think that our Alde heating is great.  But I have seen installations that are appalling.  Convectors placed were they will get blocked and or damaged. I also know of people who arriving of site in the winter switch on the oven and go out for the evening  because the heat up is so slow.  Once their van is up to temperature then no problem. 

There is no doubt that Alde heating is a feature that sells Caravans.   If corners are cut to save money then a lot of the benefits are lost.

Edited by fred

I switched the system to operate on 1kw and no issues with it warming the caravan this morning however temperature was about 10C outside.

In really cold weather I think the best option would be to use electric on 1kw and gas combined.  If load monitor set to 10amp.  Once the caravan is warmed up to the default temperature switch off the gas.

On 24/10/2019 at 10:20, Durbanite said:

Checking the ALDE manual there is not any reference to the power specifications................................  

:goodpost:

Now added to Quick find index