Sign in to follow this  
rinty

Long front seats?

Suggestions for an island bed tourer, single axle, preferably less than £10,000 with front seats long enough to use as singles for 2 teenage girls.

so could get away with seats that are only 5’7” ish.

any thoughts?

There are many models with a front dinette that can provide twin beds but whatever model you like, do take the time to actually measure the length of the front seats if they are to be used as beds, and don't forget to allow room for a pillow!

Some current models are listed below to give you an idea of layouts.

MTPLM 1750 kg £23,575 Adria Adora Isonzo  

MTPLM 1463 kg £23,049 Elddis Affinity 550  

MTPLM 1630 kg £27,240 Coachman VIP 545
MTPLM 1523 kg £23,770 Swift Eccles 580 

You obviously not buying new at that price so just trawl the net for used listings.

Gordon ,  the front seats of the Coachman VIP 545 are only 5 feet long  , I know this because I looked into buying one ,

cheers.   Steve.

Having looked for the same, all be it newer vans, the only vans you are going to  get decent front singles on is a Bailey due to the lack of a front locker - you might find a Pursuit 530/4 on the used market at close to your budget but it’s a french bed not an island (they didn’t do an Island Pursuit) - likewise there are Pegasus and Unicorn models.

Pretty much all the Swift Group, Coachman and Elddis group vans are 5’ long at the most if you have a fixed double bed of some flavour

I have a Sprite Major 4SB, which is a Single Axle, Transverse Island Bed, rear washroom layout. The front lounge seats are long enough for day-beds for us, and if you pull out the slats and make up the bed, it gives more leg room which makes sleeping on the bed inline as if it were a single possible for me (6 foot+) rather than sleeping across the van as a double bed. 

Swift say the seats are 1.59m x 0.72m / 5' 3" x 2' 4", the offside has the kitchen so is a butted up to the fridge wall. 

Could check out the old Bailey Senator Virginia series, they advertised the front benches as twin singles.

You should find some under 10 grand.

Edited by Miggs

Unicorn Valencia has long front seats, have used them as singles,  but sadly a side not an Island bed. The Unicorn Cadiz has the same size front seats and two singles at the rear.

once you get an Island bed the squeeze seems to come at the front. It matters little if it is a twin axle because the extra space just tends to be in the middle.

on caravan finder you can search by layout.  May be worth a try.

good luck

nanamel

Just a thought...

I know you said a single axle but as others have said you may struggle as we did when we looked sometime back for our teenage kids. As you have a 520d Touring you could consider a twin axle and then this opens up some options. We had a 2011 Lunar Delta Ti with a transverse island bed. Both front seats were in excess of 6ft long.

Lunar Quaser 674.

I appreciate the OP's requirements and price bracket but with a little more money might be possible and weighs in at 1530kg MTPLM

Thanks for all of the responses - few to look at!

Also the 520d has moved on to be replaced by a 330d.  Probably not that much difference in weight but looks/feels quite a bit smaller.

Seems like the senator virginia front seats are only about 4'5" long :-(

Lunar Clubman (2013 onwards) has longer front seats than the Quasar and other Lunar models. 

That's why we bought one (for our sins!!)

No island bed though 😕

The majority of single axle's with fixed beds have a compromised front bench length. The Elddis Avante 840/860 would suit as they have very long front benches, similar to a 2 berth, but are twin axles and out of your price range

At that price you need to be looking at 2010 to 2011 age vans, and Caravan Finder is a good way to check the different combinations.

On 24/10/2019 at 09:50, stevew1 said:

Gordon ,  the front seats of the Coachman VIP 545 are only 5 feet long  , I know this because I looked into buying one , cheers.   Steve.

Good information. Thanks Steve.

Gordon

We were looking for something similar, we wanted fixed double at the rear and at least one single at the front without making up.

our Bailey Pageant Vendee worked using one single at the front, the other is at 90 degrees to it, being an L shaped lounge, and slightly shorter. Not island bed though, the rear is in effect in a cupboard.

When we came to upgrade last month We found the only single axle which worked for us was the Bailey Unicorn Valencia, which again is not island bed, but fixed double to one side. The equivalent island bed is the Virgo, but the front is shorter. Island was not a priority for us anyway so the Valencia works well. Note the S1 version would be in your budget, but the beds got longer as the Van was updated, ours is an S2 and front bed on NS is 5’11 , OS 5’2. The S3 and S4 are longer both sides.

a 330D would easily handle practically any single axle van apart from some of the Adria’s which are very heavy.

Sign in to follow this