Rikster

Caravan damaged whilst towing-car or caravan insurance?

Last summer we caught the side of our caravan at the check in kiosk of Irish Ferries in Dublin-basically, they had parked vehicles close to the kiosk exit, leaving very little room to get a long outfit through-I was being very careful and keeping an eye on the right side but the ‘over-swing’ of the long single axle wagon caught the off-side rear corner on their open gate. Irish Ferries needed someone on the ground directing long outfits to a different kiosk but it was all extremely disorganised.

I took pics and have been corresponding with Irish Ferries in the hope that they might offer some compensation but they have now said that they won’t take any responsibility. 

My local service/repair shop say it will cost £6/700 to fix and mentioned insurance-but, it raised the question of whether this might be covered by my car insurance as I was towing at the time, or my caravan insurance.

It may be too late to claim anyway as it happened some months back but it got me thinking-anyone any ideas?

Damage to your van is covered by van insurance.

Any damage done to third party property by car or van covered by car insurance.

• Like 3

At £600 or £700 I wouldn't involve insurance companies. It will cost you more than that through increased premiums etc. I would just take the hit and pay for it myself.

12 hours ago, mecamero said:

At £600 or £700 I wouldn't involve insurance companies. It will cost you more than that through increased premiums etc. I would just take the hit and pay for it myself.

My thoughts as well, I once claimed on car insurance for the theft of a spare wheel (mounted under a Santa Fe), and have more than paid for the £800 value of the new wheel and mount since in higher premiums!

As above. Caravan insurance.

Have you tried any car panel repair shops if it is just a bit of filler and spray ?

Dave

DONT go to a car body shop, they don’t have the right skills set, they are used to metal cars, not caravans that are entirely different. What you need is a company that repairs coaches and buses because, THEY do have the right skills as coaches etc are of a similar construction to caravans,

I clobbered the back of my motorhome some years ago, to me it looked like I would need an entire rear panel. I went to the local coach repair company, and asked for a quote before I contacted my insurers (I was expecting at least £1000) they quoted LESS than my insurance excess!!  Brilliant job you would never know it had been done.

Andy 

Thanks for the advice folk! I think I will just pay it myself through our local repair shop, they are good guys and appear to know what they are doing!

On 24/10/2019 at 09:58, mecamero said:

I had a £500 caravan repair 4 years ago. My annual premium is still only £30 more than it was back then. With all the other annual cost of living etc increases that have gone on with our policies, I totally disagree with that statement.