Sign in to follow this  
godders7

Lunar Ariva High Moisture Levels

I know there is a lot of Talk here about water increase in Lunar vans but my inquiry is specific.

High levels of moisture ie 40 on either side at the back floor level, started last year in the kitchen cupboard last autumn so the awning rail was resealed and the strip above the kitchen window resealed. Readings had settled during winter as caravan was covered.

This year when tested it was back in the cupboard again and behind the toilet, anybody else with an Ariva had this problem.

At high level readings are fine.

What you have is more or less typical of the beginnings of a serious damp issue. Time to get it properly fixed without delay.

The previous attempted fix was clearly inadequate/unsuccessful. 

I suspect the damp is between the outer and inner skin and it cannot dry out. It is not just about re-sealing to prevent further water ingress, but allowing the trapped moisture to fully dry out. It may mean removing the inner wall to allow full drying out.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 14:27, godders7 said:

I know there is a lot of Talk here about water increase in Lunar vans but my inquiry is specific.

High levels of moisture ie 40 on either side at the back floor level, started last year in the kitchen cupboard last autumn so the awning rail was resealed and the strip above the kitchen window resealed. Readings had settled during winter as caravan was covered.

This year when tested it was back in the cupboard again and behind the toilet, anybody else with an Ariva had this problem.

At high level readings are fine.

You mention two specific areas.

Maybe time for some detective work of your own before having the dreaded damp conversation!

If you are able take a peek under the kitchen sink to ensure the drain pipe and fittings are secure and not leaking/dripping.

The WC has an outside door-are the seals in good condition around this door?-Maybe an internal WC leak is possible??

Just my humble opinion plus you already have many reponses.....there might be added reasons the damp has returned but never looked for because the dealer thought they had found the cause and looked no further.

If you are like me sometimes your thoughts are fixed in one direction because that's what everybody says, in this case the damp is coming from above probably the awning rail!

When I started this thread the caravan engineer had just left and I was a bit upset, so I purchased my own damp meter and confirmed his readings, the floor in the corner was mushy and 40 but you only had to come up the wall 25mm and the readings dropped away rapidly.

I thought this cannot be that difficult so Iowered the jockey wheel as far as it would go and slid under the back end.

In the first photo you will see the cladding meets the trim just below the skirt rail. The cladding folds under the van and the trim also folds under the two edges with some Sikaflex between are clipped together.

All very good until you get to the end of the trim where the cladding stops being folded under the van and become the edge.

Hopefully you can see in the second photo that all the rain running down the side of the van is channeled by the awning rail into that small unprotected area of floor. And it's the some on the other side of the caravan.

I now feel a bit embarrassed that I had not looked closer into the problem before, if you have an Ariva 2012 look to see if you have the same manufacturing fault on your van.

Meanwhile the caravan is drying out nicely under its cover till the spring when I have a few ideas the cure this problem.

20191111_112238-800.jpg

20191111_120511-800.jpg

Glad you are taking a better view of your issue and identified the route cause.

I generally tilt my van when its stored on our drive and use awning rail protector strip in each rail cut 3 inches below the caravan structure.

This method ensures that any rain water doesnt terminate into a drip until its clear of the caravan totally.It also keeps the awning rails clear when not in use.

I think this might help for you also....

3 hours ago, godders7 said:

If you are like me sometimes your thoughts are fixed in one direction because that's what everybody says, in this case the damp is coming from above probably the awning rail!

When I started this thread the caravan engineer had just left and I was a bit upset, so I purchased my own damp meter and confirmed his readings, the floor in the corner was mushy and 40 but you only had to come up the wall 25mm and the readings dropped away rapidly.

I thought this cannot be that difficult so Iowered the jockey wheel as far as it would go and slid under the back end.

In the first photo you will see the cladding meets the trim just below the skirt rail. The cladding folds under the van and the trim also folds under the two edges with some Sikaflex between are clipped together.

All very good until you get to the end of the trim where the cladding stops being folded under the van and become the edge.

Hopefully you can see in the second photo that all the rain running down the side of the van is channeled by the awning rail into that small unprotected area of floor. And it's the some on the other side of the caravan.

I now feel a bit embarrassed that I had not looked closer into the problem before, if you have an Ariva 2012 look to see if you have the same manufacturing fault on your van.

Meanwhile the caravan is drying out nicely under its cover till the spring when I have a few ideas the cure this problem.

20191111_112238-800.jpg

20191111_120511-800.jpg

I forgot to quote you so you know I have responded-read previous post of mine above.

Hi  Godders we seem to have the start of the same issue. Did you Do some DIY and how did you fix it.

Regards

Ann

Edited by Peggles
Mis spelling

Peggles. Godders hasn't been on the forum since March 9th so won't be able to update you till they return. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion