Ford Ranger Towball Height

Mark&Penny14

Just been out and measured the height of the factory fit towball on my new ranger wildtrack and it is at 520mm some 100 mm higher than you can use  and Brink don’t provide a drop plate ........well that was a waste of money!

2022 Buccaneer Bermuda Rejected and Gone after 24 hours  Pulled by a Volvo XC90 T8 Recharge 2023 MY

Did you measure the height to the centre of the towball with the Ranger loaded up to its GVW, because it's that height which counts, not in the unladen condition.

• Like 1

I have had over 500 kilos in the back and it still sits at 500mm so still 80mm over height

2022 Buccaneer Bermuda Rejected and Gone after 24 hours  Pulled by a Volvo XC90 T8 Recharge 2023 MY

31 minutes ago, Mark&Penny14 said:

I have had over 500 kilos in the back and it still sits at 500mm so still 80mm over height

If the data that I have at hand is correct, the Ranger has a payload of between around 1000 and 1100kg. However, it doesn't mean that you can't tow with the Ranger. So long as you don't have a problem with ground clearance at the back of the caravan when it's hitched, there's nothing to stop you. Vehicles that are rated as off-road vehicles, and depending on its technical specs, the Ranger may fall into that category, are exempt from the towball height limit requirement.

Drop plates are only permissible if the towbar manufacturer has provided for them in the type approval.

Edited by Lutz

Commercials came under 94/20   in 2012 now reg 55  for type approval towbars .

https://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/help-advice/ec-type-approval-standards

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Thanks Dave it’s as clear as mud :blink:

• Haha 2

I think the regulations change on 4 hole mountings against just the 2 hole .

Lower towball is available on a C4 mounting .

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=132401401041&category=33653&pm=1&ds=0&t=1510751583000&ver=0

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

When I bought our Volvo V70 the Volvo dealer fitted a Volvo branded tow bar. I popped the caravan on when I got the car home and the tow ball was visibly much too high. My son, his wife, my wife all sat in the back of the load area and the height of the hitch barely moved. Since then I have set the caravan nose weight at the maximum specified with the hitch at actual towing height. We don't usually have much weight in the car as there are only 2 of us. No stability problems at all. The caravan appears to be slightly nose up, but its fine.

Ern

The existing Towbar has no adjustment and the only one with type approval with a drop plate is by Tow Trust, I have had a lengthy chat with their tech department who have been very helpful and sent tech drawings to me, with the drop on it's lowest setting it reduces the height unladen to 450 mm, as I don't have a van here I'm not sure how much lower this would be when coupled.......why are things so convoluted. 

On 23/10/2019 at 11:29, CommanderDave said:

I think the regulations change on 4 hole mountings against just the 2 hole .

Lower towball is available on a C4 mounting .

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=132401401041&category=33653&pm=1&ds=0&t=1510751583000&ver=0

Dave

The regulations don’t reflect any special conditions regarding towball heights with respect to 4 hole mounting.

It does matter to me if the Caravan isn't sitting flat / level ,or you end up with the back end / steady jacks dragging on the ground at all the uneven entrances and crossings.  Most Caravans are low enough to the ground as it is without the added towbar height making it worse! On the Ranger and most Ute's they are very high just by design so you would think the towbar people would design there product to comply ? Although I don't have a Ute my SUV towbar is slightly higher than I want so ( listen for the howls ) I use the normal height tow ball after grinding two flats on it to fit the locking plate , this gives you at least an extra 25 mm drop over the ridiculous Alko thing. It all clears the tow bar tongue and works perfectly.

I tow with a Ranger that has the Ford factory fit towbar (one set of towball mounting holes) never had an issue with the caravan being level 

A6D6948C-8E9B-4318-9A61-B9FF1E902A06.jpeg

1 hour ago, towman said:

I tow with a Ranger that has the Ford factory fit towbar (one set of towball mounting holes) never had an issue with the caravan being level 

Thanks Towman nice looking outfit have you had any problems with the back end being firm? There is just so much conflicting information on the Internet, I assume you are happy with it? My towball is sitting at 500mm unladen am I to assume that your would be the same. 

cheers 

mark

1 hour ago, Mark&Penny14 said:

Thanks Towman nice looking outfit have you had any problems with the back end being firm? There is just so much conflicting information on the Internet, I assume you are happy with it? My towball is sitting at 500mm unladen am I to assume that your would be the same. 

cheers 

mark

Thanks! Yes very happy with the ranger, the picture was taken in the summer & I have since taken delivery of a new 2,0 twin turbo model which I think is an improvement on the 3,2 / 5 cylinder 

As an empty pick up they are firm on the rear end but that is to be expected but the more weight you add (even just the hardtop) they ride better,

I have never measured the height to be honest, 

3 hours ago, towman said:

Thats a great looking outfit you have.

5 hours ago, James Donald said:

It does matter to me if the Caravan isn't sitting flat / level ,or you end up with the back end / steady jacks dragging on the ground at all the uneven entrances and crossings.  Most Caravans are low enough to the ground as it is without the added towbar height making it worse! On the Ranger and most Ute's they are very high just by design so you would think the towbar people would design there product to comply ? Although I don't have a Ute my SUV towbar is slightly higher than I want so ( listen for the howls ) I use the normal height tow ball after grinding two flats on it to fit the locking plate , this gives you at least an extra 25 mm drop over the ridiculous Alko thing. It all clears the tow bar tongue and works perfectly.

Towbar companies have legal limits that they comply to when a vehicle is fully loaded 350-420mm which is an issue on unladen 4x4 type vehicles with long stroke suspension and high ground clearance .

Here in this PDF from cc on towbars it states 4x4 vehicles are exempt and can fit a drop plate .

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/21531/Choice-of-Towbar-mo.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjvpd7JgrblAhXYTRUIHQANAtMQFjAGegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3sr3x14KATijkXIIY8UtcC&cshid=1571958899421

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Not all 4x4 vehicles are exempt from the towball height requirements. Only those that fulfil the requirements of the definition of an off-road vehicle do.

• 2 weeks later...

All done Ranger and Tow Bar (Tow Trust Multi Height) ordered.

On 25/10/2019 at 08:31, Lutz said:

Not all 4x4 vehicles are exempt from the towball height requirements. Only those that fulfil the requirements of the definition of an off-road vehicle do.

To fulfil the requirement of an off road category a vehicle has to fulfil 5 out of 6 specific criteria, such as ramp angle, under axle clearance etc.  One of those , the departure angle is difficult to achieve with a towbar so manufacturers usually include a towbar designed for use primarily with a pintle for a ring hitch. These do not have the same height requirements as a 50 mm coupler.

However, all towbar components are seperate technical units and require type approval in their own right, so theoretically it should be possible to mount any type approved drop plate, ball etc to any compatible towbar.

The S value and DC value of each has to be taken into account and a calculation of the effects of the combination should also be done.

The vehicle often no longer qualifies as an off road but in the aftermarket that is not a problem.

If all else fails, follow the instructions

• 1 month later...
On 24/10/2019 at 22:06, towman said:

Thanks! Yes very happy with the ranger, the picture was taken in the summer & I have since taken delivery of a new 2,0 twin turbo model which I think is an improvement on the 3,2 / 5 cylinder 

As an empty pick up they are firm on the rear end but that is to be expected but the more weight you add (even just the hardtop) they ride better,

I have never measured the height to be honest, 

Afternoon guys, very much a novice but a google search showed up this thread and it might just be the answer to my dilemma.  I came here looking for info on drop plates but Towman has given me hope I might not need one.

I suppose its more of a direct question for Towman, but please chip in if anyone can answer;

Like Towman I've just taken possession of a new 2019 Ranger with a standard factory fitted flange towbar.  I can't find any information on whether it is Alko hitch compatible.  My caravan is not identical but is very similar to that shown in Towmans picture (big twin axle with the latest version of the alko hitch).

The bar is a Brink A 50-X is Brink the same towbar they fitted to your new Ranger Towman?  And if so have you used it successfully with your outfit?  ( like a previous poster mine sits about 50cm which does seem high)

As I say novice question but if I can avoid a drop plate and changing the towball it's one less headache.

4 hours ago, JonG said:

Afternoon guys, very much a novice but a google search showed up this thread and it might just be the answer to my dilemma.  I came here looking for info on drop plates but Towman has given me hope I might not need one.

I suppose its more of a direct question for Towman, but please chip in if anyone can answer;

Like Towman I've just taken possession of a new 2019 Ranger with a standard factory fitted flange towbar.  I can't find any information on whether it is Alko hitch compatible.  My caravan is not identical but is very similar to that shown in Towmans picture (big twin axle with the latest version of the alko hitch).

The bar is a Brink A 50-X is Brink the same towbar they fitted to your new Ranger Towman?  And if so have you used it successfully with your outfit?  ( like a previous poster mine sits about 50cm which does seem high)

As I say novice question but if I can avoid a drop plate and changing the towball it's one less headache.

Hi Jon,

From my experience you will need to change the ball itself for an extended neck one (ie Alko)

simple enough job, two 24mm bolts,

as i’ve posted above I’m on my third Ranger & not had a problem with the height myself 

Edited by towman

On 02/01/2020 at 18:30, towman said:

Hi Jon,

From my experience you will need to change the ball itself for an extended neck one (ie Alko)

simple enough job, two 24mm bolts,

as i’ve posted above I’m on my third Ranger & not had a problem with the height myself 

Thanks very much for the advice Towman, really appreciate it.

Simple job; get the tape measure out and see if it complies with the dimensions Alko specify;https://www.alko-tech.com/uk/faqs