PandR

Christmas and New Year in the van...

Perhaps we are mad, but we've just booked Hillhead, Brixham for two weeks over Christmas and New Year. It's a good opportunity to check out the van before we set out for Spain in early January.

Looking for experiences....

- Cooking Christmas dinner in the van?

- Any recommendations for places around Brixham for Christmas lunch out?

- I understand Hillhead have some "events" including New Year. Are they any good?

And any other recommendations. Never been to Brixham area before...

I'll probably be cooking half a leg of lamb in the oven Christmas day and could be duck breast Boxing day. Never fancied eating out on either day as festive meals at many venues around that time of year I find to be poorly produced by kitchens struggling to produce.

• +1 1

Wrap up warm and take a picnic down on the breakwater to the old fishing wharf at Brixham, just watching the boats at anchor, or them sailing in and out.

If you Google it look for the Breakwater carpark, it’s on the same side as the Lifeboat station, it’s a pay and display.

We have cooked a turkey crown and all the trimmings in the caravan, never had a problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PandR said:

Perhaps we are mad, but we've just booked Hillhead, Brixham for two weeks over Christmas and New Year. It's a good opportunity to check out the van before we set out for Spain in early January.

Looking for experiences....

- Cooking Christmas dinner in the van?

- Any recommendations for places around Brixham for Christmas lunch out?

- I understand Hillhead have some "events" including New Year. Are they any good?

And any other recommendations. Never been to Brixham area before...

No you are not mad.... We go away every Christmas and enjoy the simplistic way of cooking now, we used to go away with my parents (many years ago) and would cook beef, and pork while my parents would do the potatoes and veg, then we would gather into one van and eat together. Then Boxing day would be bubble and squeak with the left over meat. Now we go away on our own and have basic food and get out walking while others are resting after a huge meal and maybe a few tipples ;) 

Can't help you with the area you have chosen as we have not been to that part of the country. 

Our daughter and family live in Western Australia, so we would visit them during November and December usually +30c then return to snow or very cold weather  just in time to get away for Christmas, we usually use CL's but will be at Ferry Meadows cc site, just hope we get some festive weather this year instead of rain :rolleyes:.. 

Hope you have a great time away....

Edited by kiaboy
Spelling

We also go away every Christmas - quite often in the caravan and a few years back we did the whole Christmas dinner thing at Hillhead.  It was a well put together package and we rather  enjoyed it but having done it, we think perhaps a second time would be ‘not as good as we remembered it’.

The nicest dinner we had was in Dartmouth.  Restaurant was upstairs in a very old building but I can’t remember the name.  There’s a nice  farm shop on the way from Hillhead to Torquay and a very nice coffee and cake cafe on Torquay harbour (left side looking out to sea).  Again the name escapes me.

Brixham Anecdote

The year we did the Hillhead Christmas Dinner Event we had hired a rather large motorhome and on Boxing Day In Brixham, we parked the MH across two or three spaces in the furthest corner of a rather empty pay and display car park.   Sitting eating lunch in the MH there was a tap on the door and lo and behold, it was a very smartly turned out parking warden... a very polite parking warden in fact who, having proffered seasonal greetings, told us we couldn’t park as we had. 

He further advised that if we moved to a single space he would overlook our transgression.  When I questioned the size of the M/H vs the size of the spaces he said as long as all four wheels were within the marked bay we were fine.  We managed it just... with his help but it left the space behind unusable and the front of the vehicle well into the car park roadway.   He was happy, wished us a pleasant day and went off to be nice to somebody else.

Edited by ReggiePerrin

We were booked in at a CMC site but then decided that the cost of the 7 days was not warranted so found another site at a third of the price that the CMC wanted and booked there instead.  Bonus is that it is a fully serviced pitch with water and waste connections!  :D

Depends on where one wants to be Durbanite and what the other options.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Easy T said:

I'll probably be cooking half a leg of lamb in the oven Christmas day

Did that once, then made the mistake of washing up in the van. No matter how much drain cleaner, or how many types, the van always had a lamb smell when you opened the door. 

2 hours ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

Did that once, then made the mistake of washing up in the van. No matter how much drain cleaner, or how many types, the van always had a lamb smell when you opened the door. 

I prefer to cook outdoors, even if winter if possible, for similar reasons.

I see no reason why you can't cook a Christmas meal in the van - You just need to be a little careful with timings and perhaps cook up stuff in advice and use either the microwave or the normal facilities to warm things up.

We have Turkey crown in the caravan at Christmas.  Usually go to Carnon Downs, Truro.  Had a Christmas meal once in the County Arms,  it was ok but now do our own thing. 

Gave a fellow camper a laugh one year when he caught me washing the caravan on boxing day,  well it was a lovely day.

7 hours ago, Trek said:

We have Turkey crown in the caravan at Christmas.  Usually go to Carnon Downs, Truro.  Had a Christmas meal once in the County Arms,  it was ok but now do our own thing. 

Gave a fellow camper a laugh one year when he caught me washing the caravan on boxing day,  well it was a lovely day.

Cant wash them anytime of the day on CCclubsites no matter what the weather..

We have not had over priced turkey for several years.  Anyway we think that turkey lacks flavour no matter how it is done and whether you have it at home or at a restaurant.  This year we are proposing to have fillet steak on the BBQ with crawfish or Langoustines. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

Never have a problem.  I use a large Pyrex tray but it is always lined with foil - do similar at home, cooking trays usually don't need a wash then, just a wipe and away. Foil is binned

• Like 1

Just ordered a Weber roasting shield and roasting rack for the Q so BBQ on Christmas day it is!!!!!

11 hours ago, kiaboy said:

Cant wash them anytime of the day on CCclubsites no matter what the weather..

Well I had a bucket of soapy water with a microfibre cloth giving it a good going over, I think it's called washing.  Then again I never used a hose so maybe not. Sorry it that upsets anyone.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Trek said:

Well I had a bucket of soapy water with a microfibre cloth giving it a good going over, I think it's called washing.  Then again I never used a hose so maybe not. Sorry it that upsets anyone.

I was just saying washing a van with any means is banned on cc club sites, your not upsetting me, don't know how you thought that from my post🤔🙄

13 hours ago, Trek said:

I've often wondered about this...

See lots of people using minimum water and cloths to wash their vans (bit like some of the supermarket hand car washes) - is there not a risk that the dust and grime which has gathered gets rubbed into the van like sandpaper?

I always like to give it a really good hosing down before applying any elbow grease.

(oops how did Christmas away scope creep to washing the van???)

The first time we went away in the caravan for Christmas many years ago we made one big mistake.  OH cooked the turkey at home and when we got on site she put it in the cool bag outside.  On Christmas day we went for a lunchtime drink as all we had to do was warm up the veg and the turkey.

Got back to the caravan took out the turkey only to discover it was frozen solid.  We could not even cut it just to defrost some pieces.  Ended up having a very, very late Christmas dinner.  Can't remember what it tasted like as was pickled by then!  :D

• Haha 2

not something I ever fancied, having a Christmas dinner in the 'van, in fact the least cooking I do the better. When you go to these sites is it to enjoy a Christmas with other caravanners or to get away from all the Christmas paraphernalia  ?

9 minutes ago, joanie said:

to get away from all the Christmas paraphernalia  ?

Our answer!  :D

• Haha 1

https://www.englishriviera.co.uk/whats-on

you asked for  things to do in the area . The steam train,  ( train of lights )  Buckfast Abbey,  Cockington,  Kents Cavern  , then of course there's Brixham, Dartmouth ,  Torquay , Paignton,  Dartmoor, there is so much to do in the area, go further and you have Exeter and Plymouth. I'm sure you'll have a great time, we always do when we go down there. 

We have done it twice when the kids were younger. First time we went out for dinner, second time we brought a small roast from I think M&S the type where the meat and veg are all in one tin.

Both were great trips with the second one snowing heavily which really made it special

11 hours ago, kiaboy said:

I was just saying washing a van with any means is banned on cc club sites, your not upsetting me, don't know how you thought that from my post🤔🙄

Sorry kiaboy,  it was not directed at you it was just anyone in general.  I have done it before and have seen people cleaning their 'van after a wet trip to the site, washing all the splatters off the front.  Site wardens have seen me and in fact one had a chat about how dirty they get from the spray off the car.  Admittedly I did a bit more than just the front, after all it was christmas  :DNobody has ever said it's a problem.  I guess using a hose might be.

Spent last Christmas at Sumners Ponds. Got an Indian takeaway the night before and nuked it in the microwave for Christmas dinner .....bliss. 

• Like 1

Do any of the C&CC or CMC club-sites lay on anything special over Christmas seeing as they’re charging high season prices?