LeadFarmer

Removing water pump for winter?

Anyone on here remove their onboard pump when winterising their caravan?

I know someone who had to fit a new pump when theirs froze one winter. Whilst I haven't removed mine yet, apparently its a simple process of lifting a couple of lugs and ending the push fit connections?

Pump.jpeg

I disconnect water pipes to either end of pump and filter. Then run pump for few seconds to extract any water left inside. It is an easy job and worth doing.

It is certainly particularly important with all these diaphragm pumps that the water is expelled from them if left out in the frost, as there are sealed cavities where ice formation could readily split the body.
On a positive note they are pretty effective at pumping air so good at self purging, but that does not totally avoid any residual water from elsewhere draining down to them after the event.

I would run them to purge as much water as possible then follow "pfr's" suggestion, simply loosen off the connections and I would leave it over winter like that, hanging a warning label on an evident tap. At worst then a bit of damp might find its way onto the floor to evaporate, but a £120 odd pump is not going to need an expensive rebuild.

Yes, I do, it lives in the kitchen cupboard until March. I also remove the damper and put that in with the pump.

I use a home made Floe to drain down all the pipework then remove the pump.

No risk of damage if its not in the van.

Danny

I'll have a go at removing mine after our next trip, haven't inspected it yet, but it appears to be just push fit connections.

Edited by LeadFarmer

I would run the pump to make sure it's dry then cover it with a old towel so it is wrapped up warm . 

I am not a lover of disturbing push fit fittings as they only rely on a rubber seal inside .

Dave

• +1 1

On my last caravan for 11 winters, I pulled out the pipes from the pump after placing a towel around them the best I could then ran the pump for a couple of seconds.

Left the pipes off until next season, just needed a 'post it note' by the switch to remind me to reconnect!

Will do the same with the new one.

Never needed to disconnect the pump on any of my caravans or motor-home during winter.  Important to remember to fully drain the system then lag the pump  area to protect against frost.  Best not to disturb the push-fit connectors as it might lead to leaks in the future. 

Swift recommended disconnecting onboard pump over winter.

This from their forum recommendations on winterisation:

"Disconnect the inlet and outlet pipe from the onboard water pump, using the quick release tabs, and re-run the pump for a short time, to ensure all the water is removed. Leave the system disconnected during storage."

I had a pump fail from ice forming in the lowest point where the pressure switch is located even though I thought I'd drained it properly.

• Thanks 2