Rough terrain vans

Just been out in Australia for 3 weeks trying to destroy a new light weight off road caravan. 

By light weight I mean just under 2000kg but that's full living equipment.

Cooking, sleeping Two awnings, collapsible tents, two spares and an electric trail bike. No need for an oven and all that additional weight, just cook outside. Need to cart a out 100 litres of water though.

Have to say the damn things nigh on indestructible . 4000 km across the Savannah highway and barely a mark on it apart from damaging a rim crossing a creek running about a metre deep. The ****** dust gets everywhere though and caused a few problems for the trail bike.

Loved every minute.

Edited by Gordon
swearing removed
  • Like 2

Elddis looked at marketing a Australian built caravan here at one time for rough terrain but not much outback in Europe and wild camping is becoming reduced .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Theres quite a bit as you head east. I've a friend who has just been developing routes overlap d for this sort of thing. Hes just done an overland to Baku and back. It's a limited market currently , hes also looking at North Africa.

Bailey had one of their outback caravans on display at the NEC two/three years ago, there was massive interest in it and many people wanted to place orders but they were not taking any just publicity stunt. As forWild Camping, I would say the opposite, I believe there is more and more going on possibly with things like roof tents currently but that is only down to the lack of suitable caravans. I also know several people who have built their own trailers for exactly this as they could not get a caravan for it

I bet the Aussie beast had more than 150 Kg of payload :lol:

zAndy 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Bruder off-road caravans from Australia are imported to Europe through their agents at Huizerstraatweg 113A, 1411 GM Naarden, Netherlands. Phone: 0039 653717081

https://www.bruderx.EU/image-gallery/

Jurgens Safari XPLORER off-road caravans from South Africa are imported by XP-Edition GmbH of CH-8587 Oberach, Switzerland  Phone: 0041 718417923

• 2 weeks later...

Been to Oz a few times (daughter and her family live just outside Adelaide) so have checked out the Auzzie take on caravans. There are some that we would recognise and then there are the real Off road jobbies - blimey! These things are unbelievable, as mentioned above double awnings, wading depth of over 1 metre massive chassis and suspensions most are twin axle and some are triple axle! Even come with 'proper' washing machines and 500kgs payload.

But thepoint I would like to make is that they have some very original ideas myy favourite being fold outs that increase space. Not slide outs although they have some with them but if you could imagine a single solid front window that lifts up and forms a double bed I guess similar to trailer tents. Often these are at both ends of the van. Makes a reasonably short van able to have massive beds. 

Some of the innovations on the ones we just ran included a drop down window that opened out a 3m x 3m canvas extension on one side. The oven is built into an external locker so it frees up space on the inside, you cook outside under the awning. 

This unit had auto tyre inflation/deflation so tyre pressures can be changed on the hoof for different ground  conditions.

Theres a detachable drawbar that slides out of the rear so you can have a vehicle at either end if it gets tough when wading. One pulling one pushing.

It has just over a metre wading depth,  and a tilting system so in heavy flows you can tilt the body on the bogie so it leans into the flow and reduces the resistance effectively using the force of the water to push it down rather than float away.

Internal and external Gun and Rod racks (they'd look good on the M5).

Pretty hardcore and loads of fun. I managed 4 hrs kip in the back whilst travelling down a Bush road, one evening and hardly knew I was moving. Not sure on the legality but we had only seen a road train in 200 miles of driving so never really going to cause a problem.

I'd like to post some pics but the client doesn't allow that yet.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

https://www.jayco.com.au/promo/adventurer

All Terrain Jayco!

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

You also see a lot of off road caravans in South Africa.  Not so many in NZ where, because of punitive taxes, they tend to import our old ones, some going back to the 60s  - a sight for sore eyes!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

8 minutes ago, MalH said:

You also see a lot of off road caravans in South Africa.  Not so many in NZ where, because of punitive taxes, they tend to import our old ones, some going back to the 60s  - a sight for sore eyes!

So although NZ is like the U.K. in the 60’s they clearly have 21st century taxation!

Andy

• Haha 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

The Gall Brothers in Aus.

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?