Sign in to follow this  
Wunny

Storing the microwave turntable plate,

3 hours ago, WilliamJames said:

Never really understood why microwaves are a standard fitment in the first place :unsure:

Many caravanners use them - some don't want/need a microwave but like showers, extractor fans and radios which are also not wanted/needed by some, they come as standard

Edited by Black Grouse

3 hours ago, WilliamJames said:

Never really understood why microwaves are a standard fitment in the first place :unsure:

One of quite a few items which some consider to be unnecessary, but others see as essential.

Other such items include:-

Shower, curtains, woodgrain, oven, fridge, toilet, carpet, TV aerial, radio, to list but a few.

Manufacturers know that few people will avoid a van because it has these, but many will avoid a van that omits the wrong ones!

To make many of them optional would significantly reduce resale value and require a major re-design.

• Like 1

So many with microwave worries or coathanger woes addressing the symptom not the cause.

Just fit shock absorbers.

54 minutes ago, limecc said:

So many with microwave worries or coathanger woes addressing the symptom not the cause.

Just fit shock absorbers.

Dampers are good - but they don't cure the problem of coathangers or flying microwaves, not on UK roads anyway.

• I agree completely 1

21 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Dampers are good - but they don't cure the problem of coathangers or flying microwaves, not on UK roads anyway.

Probably even less of a problem then with a twin axle fitted with dampers. Ours stays firmly put and we will see how it goes towing the other (single axle) Bailey.

Thanks again BG.

On 22/01/2020 at 10:42, Wunny said:

No, not in my case, but it occurred to me that there will be some who (like your good self) ignore the sticker on the microwave door saying not to leave it in the oven when traveling.  

I don't disagree that it may be good advice but I cannot say in all honesty that I've ever seen such a sticker - and I've had a few caravans and MHs with fitted microwaves. Maybe it is included in the general instruction leaflet which - as a bloke - I will naturally not have read :blush:

Gordon.

1 hour ago, Gordon said:

I don't disagree that it may be good advice but I cannot say in all honesty that I've ever seen such a sticker - and I've had a few caravans and MHs with fitted microwaves. 

Gordon.

Nor me  Gordon.. 

My microwave had a sticker re removing the plate whilst travelling (I’m afraid I can’t post a pic as I’ve removed it now because it was blocking the view through the window!).

But then, my microwave is a caravan-specific model, as I noticed when I came to register it … …

FC5AD14A-A7C3-4642-9768-B298A8C9599D.thumb.jpeg.11654b34f4e224664f71c77212cc1f04.jpeg

But there’s nothing in the instructions about storing the plate … but it is a generic manual for many models.

BTW, my plate gets tucked down the side of the seat, as advised by the dealer at handover time.

John

• Like 1

Plate tucked into front seat cushions and tv under quilt on bed .

Both my Orion and my Pursuit had the sticker, so Bailey have been putting them on the Microwave since at least 2012 and up to 2017 and maybe beyond

IMG_20200128_1740401.jpg

IMG_20200128_1741204.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I built a sort of wooden thing like a letter I with foam strips on the  top & Bottom 'arms' and when pushed in it holds the turntable in place well.

Our Bailey was the same as the photo and our Bucanneer is the same as our Bailey-sticker on the front!

On 22/10/2019 at 15:59, Glen and Les said:

Sadly yes. We’ve had 2 Coachmans and in each one the microwave is just wedged in with wooden struts - one above to stop it rising and one in front/behind. There must be some on the side too, but we find it slides to the left and then the door catches on the trim. Wedging the rubber in stops it moving. The microwave in a previous Bailey Pegasus was screwed in.

My Coachman needed a repair just a few months into ownership as it had worked loose and was attempting to make a break for freedom. Again, we had a Bailey Pegasus previously where the microwave was securely attached to the furniture. 

We've always placed the microwave plate in a draw for travelling as a colleague had one fall out and smash, but in the process damage the worktops. Costly. 

Our Lunar came with a piece of polystyrene wedging the plate in place so we just use that.

On 22/10/2019 at 09:19, joanie said:

in the sink under the bowl

This ^

7 hours ago, Bristle Hound said:

This ^

I take it that ^ is a link, it doesn't work

I took it to mean "the quote above" 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Joanie, it's a shorthand for "I agree with this comment above, or I do this too." Back to the original point: we store ours in a front locker between two soft rolled up picnic mats. There is a general point that is being made here; caravans have pretty primitive suspension,  (even those with dampers) and are basically just a very large box trailer with a lot of movement possible in all three axes. As a general rule, if something CAN come loose or fall off or out of somewhere it almost certainly will - even weird things like toilet rolls unreeling into a heap on the floor. Vinegar and alcohol bottles will fall over, things will bash together and so on. If you haven't had an episode where you have had to clean something out of the van yet you haven't towed enough.  Bizarrely, our oven has a habit of coming loose and I nearly always have to replace one or more of the retaining screws, even after changing them for bigger screws and reinforcing the screw hole.

Edited by BFM
Typo
  • Thanks 1

On 28/01/2020 at 17:50, Wunny said:

Both my Orion and my Pursuit had the sticker, so Bailey have been putting them on the Microwave since at least 2012 and up to 2017 and maybe beyond

IMG_20200128_1740401.jpg

IMG_20200128_1741204.jpg

thats just like ours - quite clear. We also a similar one warning against leaving the TV on the mounting bracket whilst travelling as well

everyday is a school day,  thank you wWispman and BFM for the explanation  :Thankyou:

We store ours in the plate rack.  Fits perfectly.  Not sure why others cannot do the same?

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

We store ours in the plate rack.  Fits perfectly.  Not sure why others cannot do the same?

:Plus1:

We met up with a couple who stored their's in the top cupboard and it came crashing down during the journey, the cupboard opened.

My Bailey, bought in 2007, was the first caravan we have had with a microwave.  It also had the sticker which we ignored and simply wrapped the plate in a couple of layers of bubble wrap.  The only thing that broke was the microwave which we had to replace, probably due to it overheating, so for some time we had a spare plate. Didn't fit the microwave in my current Swift, so got binned. Been using this method since 2007 and despite many miles, much of it in Europe on poor roads, have never lost a microwave plate.

John M

On 20/05/2020 at 16:18, joanie said:

We met up with a couple who stored their's in the top cupboard and it came crashing down during the journey, the cupboard opened.

That should not happened if it was stored securely like the other plates and the cupboard door closed securely.  It is more secure as it is heavy and more likely to stay in place than a normal plate.