PMW

Cello Android TV C24SFS

Does anyone have any experience of this TV?

I've read a string of old threads bemoaning the picture quality of Cellos and how much better Avtex are but I can't justify spending three times as much on an Avtex that doesn't provide the functionality we need. 

While we were on holiday in Norfolk last week I had a look in Roys electrical department who had a number of Cello's on display, sadly not the one we are looking at, and the picture looked comparable to the main stream brands alongside. 

I don't remember the model name hut we have a 24" full HD Cello. The picture quality is good.

It's supposed to be a smart Android tv but I never got anything to work properly on it and there are no updates available from the manufacturer and we now used firestick  with it.

Bought it last summer but over the winter it started having a black screen frequently requiring a bang on the back. It went back for warranty repair this summer but now have started doing the same again.

We are not buying a cello or the other brands from that manufacturer again but I don't know what we will buy. There are very few full HD tv that runs on 12v.

Edited by AndersG

We have a Cello 22230F, bought last July.

The picture quality is excellent. The sound isn't brilliant but we always listen via a Bose mini.

I'd certainly recommend them.

In my local dealers they have a new HD Cello on the counter and the picture is very good. 

I have an old Cello, and yes the picture is a bit fuzzy compared to new HD TV's.

If comparing between one manufacturer and another be sure to compare like for like.

Not all TV’s are HD and there will, for very obvious reasons, be a difference in? the “quality” of the picture between the two. 

I have always been amazed that people buy the (to my mind) VASTLY overpriced products sold by Avtex. Yes they DO work on 230 or 12 volts, but so do a fair few others for a lot less money.

I wonder what percentage of us use our caravans “off grid” ? So actually NEED the facility to run it of 12v (Please let’s not fill this thread with “I do because” posts) I would wager it’s a pretty small number (MH owners are probably much more likely to be off grid for obvious reasons);

We then come on to the “Well HD is a better picture” argument. That is doubtless true, but I for one (with good eyesight that requires no correction) struggle to see THAT much difference on a small screen (there is one, but it’s so minimal as to be virtually unnoticeable) On a big screen the difference is very noticeable. 

So my advice, for what it’s worth, would be to view as many small TV’s as possibly and then decide, for yourself, which one you want depending on what you actually want from it. Only go for a 12v model if you really NEED that ability.

When I had a MH I bought a cheap 230v TV and a cheap inverter to run it off the leisure battery. Some will say to do that you need (an expensive) pure sine wave  Type inverter, I used a cheap one from Halfords with no ill effects to the TV. Combined they worked out at about HALF the cost of an Avtex!

Me? I now have (the same) cheap, eBay refurbished, 14”, SD, DVD/Tv combi in the caravan. It’s probably been turned on for about an hour over the last 12 months (and we have been away in the caravan for something like 12 weeks in total) 

Andy

• Like 1

Many TVs,  own brand and major brand  are produced in Turkey by Vestel.

Check to see where it was made and if Turkey it will be made by  Vestel.

How to check if your TV is made by Vestel

Cello TV's are all manufactured in the UK. Of course, where the components come from is any bodies guess. I've come across Vestel before as our "Panasonic" is actually a Vestel. Anyone who reads that thread be aware there are a great number of inaccuracies in it as to how to identify a Vestel made TV.

I think we are going to go for this TV, despite the excellent question Andy asks .. do we need 12vfor example? No, but it will be nice to have. The only time we are ever off grid is once a year when we visit a Beer festival and use the pub's camping field with no services. We rarely have time to watch TV on that weekend anyway! Actually, do we need a TV at all. We've never had one before and rarely watch TV at home but the ability to put something on for the kids to watch during their pre bedtime quiet time would be welcome. I also agree that full HD is hardly needed on small screen TV's, anything under 30" and your hardly going to notice it, added to which the media quality will more often be the limiting factor, not the panels spec.

I have a Cello TV badged as a Ferguson - I forget the model number, but it is the 22" HD 12/230v TV/DVD combo, with Freeview HD.  I chose this brand as I could not justify spending the same on a small caravan TV as I did on my main living room TV.

For the amount of time it is used (not much) and the price I paid (Less than £150) it is perfectly acceptable. However, it has some issues. Firstly the DVD refused to play known-good discs. It got sent back and the drive replaced. The Remote control was hit and miss, so they sent me a replacement. However the main issue is the 'viewing angle'.  In our Sprite, the TV sits on a ledge by the door, which makes it about eye-height when sat in the lounge. Picture and Sound quality is fine. Not great, not terrible, but, for a caravan TV it suits me ok. As soon as you stand up, the picture is unviewable. The polarising filter on the TV makes the picture a negative image and almost totally black. Compare that to my home TV which can be viewed from almost any acute or obtuse angle. 

1 hour ago, beejay said:

Many TVs,  own brand and major brand  are produced in Turkey by Vestel.

Check to see where it was made and if Turkey it will be made by  Vestel.

How to check if your TV is made by Vestel

Cello TVs are made in the UK. 

EDIT:

The debate on HD being determinable is subjective, but the HD channels which can be picked up by the TV/Caravan aerial look considerably better than their SD versions on my Cello/Ferguson. 

Edited by Custard Avenger

We looked at  Cello in 2015 so obviously they have moved. on.  One of the better tests for pictrue quality is to see what the picture is like when standing to the left or right of the screen almost looking at the picture side on. If still watchable and retaining the same definition regarding brightness etc then there should be no issues

On 22/10/2019 at 15:38, Custard Avenger said:

Cello TVs are made in the UK. 

I passed the Cello Factory this morning when I dropped the dog off at its doggy adventure day center.

Its in SW Durham.

I bought my Cello from here at the factory shop but not sure if they still do that. It looks very similar construction to  other TV's with an integrated DVD that I have seen, so not sure if its Cello made or rebadged for them

Have to say that the DVD player packed in long ago. 

I use mine on 12Vdc as I only have one power socket above the fridge where the TV sits, and I use that for the DVD player I bought after the Cello one packed in. 

2 hours ago, Benny65 said:

I passed the Cello Factory this morning when I dropped the dog off at its doggy adventure day center.

Its in SW Durham.

I use mine on 12Vdc as I only have one power socket above the fridge where the TV sits, and I use that for the DVD player I bought after the Cello one packed in. 

Yeah, I don't think the DVD player will last for long, as mine is on it's second drive. 

I also use the 12V as it keeps the 230V socket free for a phone charger which I wind round to the bedside ledge.  

On 24/10/2019 at 08:14, Benny65 said:

Its in SW Durham.

I bought my Cello from here at the factory shop but not sure if they still do that. It looks very similar construction to  other TV's with an integrated DVD that I have seen, so not sure if its Cello made or rebadged for them

Do they actually manufacture from scratch the Cello or do they only assembled it there from parts imported from China?

On 26/10/2019 at 09:03, Durbanite said:

Do they actually manufacture from scratch the Cello or do they only assembled it there from parts imported from China?

Looks like they do assemble, but I would expect the components are far eastern sourced 

https://celloelectronics.com/aboutus/

On BBC Breakfast today they were broadcasting from Auckland Castle, due to Bishop Auckland being a possible Conservative win as the last labour majority was only around 500. (This is in Durham Labour stronghold and has always had a Labour MP)

The business reporter was at Cello which is about a mile from the castle and it certainly looked like they were manufacturing there, although I had to leave for work so did not get to watch the interview.

• Like 1

1, as far as I know all LCD-type TVs run at 12V, when plugged into the mains a voltage reducer is usually built into the plug. So to work off 12v only needs a suitable feed wire.
2, the Avtex TV is indeed expensive but that is quite probably because they are of much better quality & will stand considerable rough handling.  Being  bounced around in a 'van does the electrics no favours at all!

My Avtex ''van TV' is now 9 years old and gets a lot of use, so far totally reliably. Another one that I bought 2nd hand (for my daughter's kids use) is even older & still works perfectly even though it gets considerable abuse. Surely this points to the old saying 'buy cheap, buy twice'?

I'm all for buying British (i.e. Cello) but not when it's of inferior quality. I only like things that actually work (so God nows why I bough a Swift, LOL,: not).

After  seeing the factory this am we'll definitely buy cello for our next caravan tv but without the dvd if we can-don't watch them anyway-blu ray for us! Since you can have 4 cellos for the price of one avtex ish i am happy if they don't last quite so long!

We have a 19in Veon. Made in China of course. Goes well ,very good picture , has a DVD player which works good. 12 volt with power transformer built in for EHU. HD, USB ready, HDMI x2, LED/LCD  and has 3 yr warranty. Cost was on special $139.00 or £70 approx. Only little complaint speakers are average but not to bad.

Most electronic components are manufactured in the Far East, regardless of the brand you buy. Not just China but many are made in Taiwan, Korea, Malaysia and Indonesia. Even the "silicon valley giants" such as Intel and Texas manufacture their components in Asia. 

We are not going for a machine with DVD player as DVDs are pretty much obsolete nowadays. The machine we are looking at has a usb port for an external drive anyway so we can store anything we need on a flash drive and play back from that, Much more flexible and reliable than DVD and it means we lose the weight of i) the drive unit and ii) all the DVDs. It may only be a kilo or two but it all adds up. 

With regard to voltage of TV's most use different voltages for different components so be careful if using anything but the original power supply, or 230v feed if that is what it's built for.  An average display panel uses a number of different voltages between 4.3 and 48v, the tuner might use another voltage and the amplifier different again. The best quality machines have a shielded power supply connected to the input voltage to supply all of the different voltages needed whilst lesser makes and models will supply a single voltage to all components and then step up or down on each circuit board, or part of a board. Some machines even have a multi pin power supply which feeds several +ve voltages and a common negative. 

feeding the wrong voltage to the wrong component is almost always fatal. 

We've ordered the van a Cello for Christmas, our next trip away being Dorset over New Year. We've just been contemplating the rechargeable model but have decided the smart option will suit better. Sadly you can't have both on one model.

The difference is whether it is manufactured from Far East parts or assembled from Far East parts.  Manufactured in this case means built from components up i.e parts are soldered onto PC boards etc.  Assembled means that it arrives on our shores in a knocked down state and is then assembled at a factory. 

I wonder how many TVs are actually manufactured in the UK or even in the EU?  ;)