Sign in to follow this  
John-Webster115

Unidentified Caravan

Can anyone identify this Caravan. I bought it as advertised. i.e. a Knowskey 290. But it looks similar to a Knowsley Eros. However the layout is different. I cannot find another one anywhere.Screenshot_2019-10-21-20-06-06.thumb.png.f8a9e5a8424428e0b380047a00806db1.png

Your caravan appears to have a flat roof and I believe the 1970s Knowsley Eros has a classic v-roof with a join running the length of the caravan. I don't know about the baby 290 though.

image.png

I think it was a pair of  ex knowsley caravan employees left and set up a caravan manufacturing company called Lunar after the space programme .

Dave

22 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

I think it was a pair of  ex knowsley caravan employees left and set up a caravan manufacturing company called Lunar after the space programme .

Do you mean co-founders Brian Talbot and Ken Wilcock, who set up Lunar Caravans following the moon landing in 1969?

Gordon.

18 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Do you mean co-founders Brian Talbot and Ken Wilcock, who set up Lunar Caravans following the moon landing in 1969?

Gordon.

A few years ago Gordon, I remember on CT a link to a chaps website where photos of old caravans were archived, do you happen remember what the website was called?

Have looked for it on a few occasions but not found it.

Might have been part of a garage or similar business.

Do you mean the Historic Caravan Club website?

4 hours ago, Gordon said:

Gordon.

Strange how much the space influenced the names of caravans with Saturn and Jupiter for example and motorhomes and manufacturers like Laika  their symbol the dog with wings .

Edited by CommanderDave

2 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Strange how much the space influenced the names of caravans with Saturn and Jupiter for example and motorhomes and manufacturers like Laika  their symbol the dog with wings .

It’ll be the excitement of exploration that space offered in the 60’s, the marketing link to the leisure industry was unavoidable.

8 hours ago, Gordon said:

Do you mean the Historic Caravan Club website?

Thanks Gordon but no, an interesting link that.

The one I remember had black and white photographs with from memory A-Z links across the page top to the different old manufacturers. 

I think it might have been linked from a repairers website by an enthusiast.

Found this on another forum: Old Classic Car it might be of help.

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Knowsley Caravans

Hi

I'm the chap that used to host the Knowsley Caravan Website

I closed the website down a few years ago due to lack of interest in the site and the lack of any new vans being manufactured

However, I have a wealth of information and brochures still relating to the Knowsley Caravan so if any member wishes to contact me regarding their Knowsley I will be pleased to help

David

knowsley_caravans@hotmail.com

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this