Durbanite

Gordon's review on 2019 Caravan show.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the daily posts on the show.  Reading the last post was a bit amusing as Gordon highlighted the stupidity of some caravan designers i.e. cupboard doors opening above seating.  How daft can you get?

Then there is a small aperture for fitting or removing a gas cylinder from the front of the caravan.  It looks like it could be very awkward due to restricted room to move the bottle and then connect it?

Another one was the motor move on the jockey wheel which will probably be useless on even a slight incline where the surface is gravel.  No mention of the extra nose weight.

Maybe Gordon or a mod can post those pictures on this thread as I do not know how to transfer them across? :D

4 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Another one was the motor move on the jockey wheel

Hasn't this been done before?

Can't remember the name but it resembled a trolley with a leisure battery built in...any idea?

Edited by charlieboy2608

6 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Can't remember the name but it resembled a trolley with a leisure battery built in...any idea?

Yep it was and people could not even give them away second hand as they were useless on anything except flat tarmac surface. 

1 hour ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Mr Shifta, we had one to get van off the road up the drive behind the house many years ago, I knew Barry Wilson who made them in Long Eaton and I had no problems selling it when I bought a powrtouch mover

Edited by kiaboy

1 hour ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Both have been tried before, motorised jockey wheel and the little trolley type and are still to be found on Ebay. Both suffer the same shortcoming, insufficient weight on the driven wheel(s). Fine on level tarmac/concrete, hopeless on anything loose or uneven. The trolley type ( Mr Shifta) are still in use by many caravan dealers, great for moving vans around a yard single handed, also used by some storage compounds to pack them in close together.

2 hours ago, Stevan said:

Both have been tried before, motorised jockey wheel and the little trolley type and are still to be found on Ebay. Both suffer the same shortcoming, insufficient weight on the driven wheel(s). Fine on level tarmac/concrete, hopeless on anything loose or uneven. The trolley type ( Mr Shifta) are still in use by many caravan dealers, great for moving vans around a yard single handed, also used by some storage compounds to pack them in close together.

A friend of mine needed something to move his helicopter in/out of his little hanger, he ended up  with a "modified" Shifta. 

7 hours ago, charlieboy2608 said:

There were two, one was called the Bigfoot, the other was Mista Shifta. 

Edited by bspks

14 hours ago, bspks said:

There were two, one was called the Bigfoot, the other was Mista Shifta. 

Thank you everybody for refreshing my memory....where am I again ;-)

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Yep it was and people could not even give them away second hand as they were useless on anything except flat tarmac surface. 

We used ours for about 12 years when we had a 1100kgs caravan, and far from your description of them found our Mr Shifta a very accomplished bit of kit. This involved moving over a quite long drive with a  a rise and fall, plus a very cambered lane. Albeit use over a mix of concrete, tarmac and gravel.

It went after changing to a 1750 kg van, where braking on the downhill section, if wet was a limitation, but used within its operating parameters, it was a good and very practical unit, which incidentally found a ready buyer when we sold it.

One big advantage it always had was it lived on a CTEK charger in the garage so was always fully charged up ready for use, plus being wheeled  and self powered it was pretty effortless to deploy.

Like many things used in the right application, it was the right tool, used in the wrong it was not.

16 minutes ago, JTQ said:

We used ours for about 12 years when we had a 1100kgs caravan, and far from your description of them found our Mr Shifta a very accomplished bit of kit. This involved moving over a quite long drive with a  a rise and fall, plus a very cambered lane. Albeit use over a mix of concrete, tarmac and gravel.

It went after changing to a 1750 kg van, where braking on the downhill section, if wet was a limitation, but used within its operating parameters, it was a good and very practical unit, which incidentally found a ready buyer when we sold it.

One big advantage it always had was it lived on a CTEK charger in the garage so was always fully charged up ready for use, plus being wheeled  and self powered it was pretty effortless to deploy.

Like many things used in the right application, it was the right tool, used in the wrong it was not.

Did you carry it around in the back of your vehicle while touring?

23 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Maybe Gordon or a mod can post those pictures on this thread as I do not know how to transfer them across? :D

Right click on the image, and copy link address, then paste into the new post - that way only one copy of the image is held on the server but it can be displayed in various threads.

Thus we can see the double-lid cooker . . .

image.png

Over the years there have been a number of improvements at the shows but let's be honest; while not all change is an improvement, without trying new ideas, there would be no progress . . .

image.png

The main hall at Earls Court caravan show 2000.

image.png

A small section of the NEC caravan show Feb 2019

image.png

The October show 2019 was spread over eleven halls

My last show "report" was intended to be a little tongue in cheek, while pointing out that we still have a way to go to get it right.

32 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Did you carry it around in the back of your vehicle while touring?

I thought I had already said where it lived.

1 hour ago, JTQ said:

Seemed like a good idea if needed to access awkward area but without adding weight to the caravan.  My father had a manual drive operated y a winding handle and chain drive, That also worked well.

1 hour ago, Easy T said:

Seemed like a good idea if needed to access awkward area but without adding weight to the caravan.  My father had a manual drive operated y a winding handle and chain drive, That also worked well.

The trouble is the Mr Shifta type are able to use while at home but unless you take it with you and they go about 50 kg with a battery fitted and heavy to lift in the car . I had a powr product one myself as I had a number of trailers but a motor mover on the caravan as more practical and easier on site arrival .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

The jockey wheel type of mover have changed a little.

mover.jpg

4 hours ago, Organman said:

The jockey wheel type of mover have changed a little.

We had the bigger version of this in the yard to move the catering trailers. The big one has a tow ball on and is rated in excess of 3500kg and would pull anything on any surface, but it was very slow. We used them for dragging trailers in and out of the depot so only about thirty to forty meters and it took an age. Easier than hitching them up though.