TrevF

Buccaneer tow car

Hi

Ive just ordered a new Buccaneer Barracuda and we were due for a car upgrade so decided on a Jaguar Fpace 2.0d

I am now worried this outfit will not be good together and wondered if anybody out there has this outfit and how they find it or anybody has a car weighing about the same and how they find towing the buccaneer

thanks Trev

The F type vehicle is capable of towing up to 2400kg however the kerbweight is very low at 1775kg.  The Buccaneer MTPLM is 2000kg.  Remember some insurance companies will not insure if the caravan MTPLM is higher than the car's kerbweight.  IMHO not a safe combination.

Thanks Durbanite

This is what I thought

ordered the Buccaneer Barracuda at the caravan show last week as seen on last visit to show and really liked lay out and didn’t really look into what sort of car required

(didn’t realise I’d need a tank)

Thought about loading more into the car to offset weight but don’t know if this is feasible/safe to do

Im in a bit of a turmoil now and don’t know if I should cancel buccaneer and go back to drawing board

Have a sterling Eccles 580 at moment and wanted to try end bedroom option

thanks for advice

Trev

Also remember to check the tow bar nose weight the car you choose is capable of taking the Buccaneers max weight of 150kg ,we wanted to change to an E Class awd but unfortunately the nose weight on the tow bar is not high enough. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TrevF said:

Thanks Durbanite

This is what I thought

ordered the Buccaneer Barracuda at the caravan show last week as seen on last visit to show and really liked lay out and didn’t really look into what sort of car required

(didn’t realise I’d need a tank)

Thought about loading more into the car to offset weight but don’t know if this is feasible/safe to do

Im in a bit of a turmoil now and don’t know if I should cancel buccaneer and go back to drawing board

Have a sterling Eccles 580 at moment and wanted to try end bedroom option

thanks for advice

Trev

Which model of the F type have you ordered?  The kerb weight increases with the bhp and type of trim.  As said it can tow the Buccaneer, but for it to be safe the vehicle would need to be close to the gross maximum weight.  There are two Buccaneer Owner forums on Facebook and someone may be towing with one of these vehicles?

Hi,

Similar thoughts here.

We ordered a Commodore at the show. We have a Volvo XC90 D5 Powerpulse, 235 bhp, at least 2020 kilos kerb weight - more if you add a second person, auto tow bar, 35 k dog, dog crate and a 45 k awning - takes it up to about 2250 ish! with  a max tow ball weight of 140k. Can you increase the kerb weight of your F pace by adding additional kit?

Edited by yorkyguy

I've just changed to a LR Disco 4 for the very same reason. My current car a Kuga can tow 2100kg, it has enough power and brakes well enough. strong winds and long down hill section can upset it, Much safer having a vehicle with a kerb weight higher than the MTPLM.

What sort of  power/torque figures does the F pace have?.

I looked at a Jag XF a while ago but soon forgot the idea when I looked at the  power/torque figures for the frankly rather weedy 2 litre when compared to my (2.2 litre) Mazda 6.  258nm and 185 Ps

Dont lose sight of the “issues” that currently surround the Ingenium engines either. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

IMO a longer wheelbase on the tug helps with stability as well as extra mass.

Th reckon Mmy S-max tows better than a Kuga with the same engine even though it's not an AWD model. The difference is 160mm which is 6" in old money (I have tried both and although I sort of fancy a Kuga it's not as comfy or roomy as the S-max)

The disco 4's wheelbase is nearly 8" longer than the Kuga so should feel a lot more comfortable

Edited by matelodave

On 27/10/2019 at 17:56, Mr Plodd said:

What sort of  power/torque figures does the F pace have?.

I looked at a Jag XF a while ago but soon forgot the idea when I looked at the  power/torque figures for the frankly rather weedy 2 litre when compared to my (2.2 litre) Mazda 6.  258nm and 185 Ps

Dont lose sight of the “issues” that currently surround the Ingenium engines either. 

Andy

My lawnmower has more torque than your Mazda.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stattam said:

My lawnmower has more torque than your Mazda.

That may well be the case, But I bet it doesn’t have

5 leather seats

Keyless entry

Auto door locking

Tinted windows 

Climate control

Cruise control

Built in Satnav

Bluetooth phone connectivity

Power steering

ABS

SBS

Lane departure warning

Overtaking vehicle warning

Auto headlights/wipers

Headlights that follow the steering (not additional lights) 

The ability to tow a 1500kg caravan at 60mph whilst doing 27mpg for hundreds of miles in superb comfort at a go

etc etc etc does it :P

Andy

• +1 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

5 leather seats

Keyless entry

Auto door locking

Tinted windows 

Climate control

Cruise control

Built in Satnav

Power steering

ABS

SBS

Lane departure warning

Auto headlights/wipers

The ability to tow a 1500kg caravan at 60mph whilst doing 27mpg for hundreds of miles in superb comfort at a go

Andy

My E-Pace 2.0l 180d RDynamic HSE does :) with 430nm torque @1750 rpm.

Just done a long weekend to York with the caravan (1600kg) and returned 27mpg

Pulling a large caravan is not an issue with the engine power but stopping especially in a emergency is a different issue . The tow vehicle has to resist the surge and it can cause the outfit to jackknife so the lower the weight ratio is important .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

29 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

5 leather seats

Keyless entry

Auto door locking

Tinted windows 

Climate control

Cruise control

Built in Satnav

Power steering

ABS

SBS

Lane departure warning

Auto headlights/wipers

Andy

However another factor where it is better than the lawnmower is that pollutes more than the lawnmower!  :D

37 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

5 leather seats

Keyless entry

Auto door locking

Tinted windows 

Climate control

Cruise control

Built in Satnav

Power steering

ABS

SBS

Lane departure warning

Auto headlights/wipers

Andy

No oil dilution problems with my lawnmower though.

43 minutes ago, stattam said:

No oil dilution problems with my lawnmower though.

Never had with my car either.

However.......

I have just rechecked the figures for my car as I thought the figure a bit low, I was right it was far too low (figure for the weedy low powered petrol version)

Bit of a typo earlier on, the actual torque figure is 445Nm (which is more like what it feels like) 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

I would have said that with a van of that size, you should be looking at a 3 litre diesel tow car.  Not just because of the extra power - but because of the physical size/weight of a car that demands such an engine. I tow a Knaus Starclass 695 with a max weight of 2000kg with a VW Touareg.  It handles it with ease and feels absolutely safe in all conditions - and I have experienced the need for heavy braking on the odd occasion.

Don't get hung up about fuel consumption though - 22 mpg is pretty normal whilst towing  (with off-road tyres and roof rack fitted) even though I can get just under 40 at motorway speeds, solo.  Just have to accept it's a big rig and live with it.

• Like 1

On 31/10/2019 at 11:49, Mr Plodd said:

Never had with my car either.

However.......

I have just rechecked the figures for my car as I thought the figure a bit low, I was right it was far too low (figure for the weedy low powered petrol version)

Bit of a typo earlier on, the actual torque figure is 445Nm (which is more like what it feels like) 

Andy

What about rust?

On 31/10/2019 at 12:23, richardandros said:

I would have said that with a van of that size, you should be looking at a 3 litre diesel tow car.  Not just because of the extra power - but because of the physical size/weight of a car that demands such an engine. I tow a Knaus Starclass 695 with a max weight of 2000kg with a VW Touareg.  It handles it with ease and feels absolutely safe in all conditions - and I have experienced the need for heavy braking on the odd occasion.

Don't get hung up about fuel consumption though - 22 mpg is pretty normal whilst towing  (with off-road tyres and roof rack fitted) even though I can get just under 40 at motorway speeds, solo.  Just have to accept it's a big rig and live with it.

+1.

I am on my second 2000kg twin axle and towed each with a weighty (80% ratio) Discovery 4.

2000kg is a lot of box to drag around and when adverse conditions confront you OP, it is usually tug weight which will be on your side.

IMO, go primarily for tug weight, adequate power factors will generally follow.

WE tow with a Nissan navara-early days yet but seems fantastic 190bhp seems plenty good enough, and though the kerbweight isn't much above the Buc towbar limit is 140kg and the legal towing figure of 3500kg give plenty of reserve-we don't bother much with kerbweight-having in the past towed near to 100% with  a Dacia Duster 4x4 and found that rock solid even in Hurricane Brian on the way up to Scotland.!!!!

16 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

WE tow with a Nissan navara-early days yet but seems fantastic 190bhp seems plenty good enough, and though the kerbweight isn't much above the Buc towbar limit is 140kg and the legal towing figure of 3500kg give plenty of reserve-we don't bother much with kerbweight-having in the past towed near to 100% with  a Dacia Duster 4x4 and found that rock solid even in Hurricane Brian on the way up to Scotland.!!!!

Be careful as some insurance companies have a restriction that the caravan should not weigh more than 95% of the kerbweight of the car.  Buccaneer is 2000kg if you have had an upgrade on a Cruiser.  Kerbweight would need to be about 2110kg even though the vehicle can legally tow in up to 3500kg. 

Having been in a position to purchase both tow car and caravan at the same time there is not a lot available now as manufacturers are reducing the weight of 4x4s to improve economy.  I couldn't find anything that I liked and was anywhere near the 85%. I settled on the Mk 3 Touareg (Kerb Weight 2070kg) to tow our Clipper (plated at 2000kg) and on our 9 week trip from a towing point of view it has been great, very stable in all conditions. (I have had issues with the ACC which  I have put on a seperate thread but this seems limited to my vehicle and may well have just been sorted by the dealer).

As has already been said - check insurance - some have kerb weight limits but by no means all, and load as much as you can into the car.

13 minutes ago, PLD967 said:

Having been in a position to purchase both tow car and caravan at the same time there is not a lot available now as manufacturers are reducing the weight of 4x4s to improve economy.  I couldn't find anything that I liked and was anywhere near the 85%. I settled on the Mk 3 Touareg (Kerb Weight 2070kg) to tow our Clipper (plated at 2000kg) and on our 9 week trip from a towing point of view it has been great, very stable in all conditions. (I have had issues with the ACC which  I have put on a seperate thread but this seems limited to my vehicle and may well have just been sorted by the dealer).

As has already been said - check insurance - some have kerb weight limits but by no means all, and load as much as you can into the car.

It would be worth taking your Touareg to a weighbridge for a proper check on its kerbweight as the VW figure is for a base model with no options.