VinnyE

Hole in van accident!

A bit of a bad way to start your final excursion in the caravan before the end of season (for us)!

On arrival at a Club Site, which had a limited arrivals space, I stopped the  car behind a newly arrived motor-home  and reported to reception.

I was asked to pull forward as I was blocking the entrance and 2 people were wanting to leave. The motor-home moved forward a few feet which was of little help as our caravan is about 22 feet long, I did not see anyone attempting to leave - but wanted to stay on good terms with site staff so got back in the car. In order to manoeuvre around the parked motor-home, I put full lock on and started to pull forward slowly. On hearing a noise behind me. I stopped and saw that the rear of the van had pivoted round and caught a metal post in the gate way!

Unfortunately, it had a small metal bracket welded to it for securing the gate at night, and this had punctured the skin on the drivers side rear corner of our caravan!

I unhitched the car and pivoted the van off the post on the jockey wheel. 

We were then given a pitch number to use, so my better half drove the car and van round whilst I spoke to the site staff. During this conversation, I overheard someone say that this was not the first time that someone had got hung up on that post!

I walked to the van and assisted the boss in parking the van.

A member of staff kindly helped with the parking up and supplied a small rectangular piece of plastic that had double sided sticky tape on it - to patch the van up and try to make it water tight. 

I have no issues with the site staff but consider the siting and signage of the entrance could be improved !

In my opinion, the post should be moved another yard closer to the fence line and the gate made accordingly longer to suit. A larger area should be allocated for arrivals and clearly marked for such use.

This would enable caravans to pass other vehicles on arrival and allow access in and out of the site.

I hope that this tale of woe warns other members to be especially careful when arriving on a new to them site!

IMG_20191014_074711_resized_20191020_083613652.jpg

If the post were moved as you suggest it would prevent pedestrian access between the post and the fence.

• Like 2

As Uttoxeter Racecourse is a Management Agreement Site, it may not be the CMC's post to move.

Most CMC sites have a specified latest time of departure. A few times I have been asked to move because I'm blocking the exit for late leavers but I suddenlt get very deaf.

1 hour ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

Most CMC sites have a specified latest time of departure. A few times I have been asked to move because I'm blocking the exit for late leavers but I suddenlt get very deaf.

What if those late leavers have paid extra to be able to leave late, or have ben given permission? 

6 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

What if those late leavers have paid extra to be able to leave late, or have ben given permission? 

...or didn't intend leaving that day, at that time, but have been called back due to an emergency at home.

• Like 1

my sympathy to you for the damage and trouble this will cause you having it repaired

what did the site "owners" think of your suggestion to move the gate?

macafee2

11 hours ago, VinnyE said:

......... I put full lock on and started to pull forward slowly. ..........

Out of interest, I have a Discovery 4 which has a really good full lock.

I was interested as to how much my twin axle back corner would kick out when the car was on full lock.

Pulled up with the wheels against a white line on a car park and got my wife to mark where it swung out to, it was just over 4 feet!

8 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Then they would be 10 minutes later leaving. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

What he ^^^ said.

After a considerable journey and sometimes with delays and numpty drivers, I just want to check-in, pitch up, and get some refreshment. The last thing on my mind is wondering about "what ifs".

We arrived at about 2.30 pm or so, so should not have been encountering "leavers" unless they were motor-homes going off site? We try to arrange our arrival to avoid meeting those leaving the site.

When my better half suggested moving the pole, she was told it was for mobility scooters!

There was no evidence that it had ever been used for this, and did not look fit for that purpose!

The journey was a bit stressful, poor weather and numpty drivers not having a clue about how much room a van needs etc.

So I was glad to arrive, probably a little fatigued and not as sharp as I should have been - I thought the hard part was behind me!

So, what has the OP done, other than moaning on here? The readers on here can't do anything, except sympathise.

Has the OP written to the CMC? Only they can actually DO anything.

Just saying something to the site managers is a waste of time. They do not have the ability to actually do anything re the site layout, even if they remember your comment.

Edited by daveat92

4 hours ago, VinnyE said:

So I was glad to arrive, probably a little fatigued and not as sharp as I should have been - I thought the hard part was behind me!

The hard part was behind you, that's how it punctured your caravan.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Personally i'd be fuming with myself and it would dampen my holiday for a few days. But it sounds like a very unfortunate accident for you, and could have happened to anyone I guess.

Edited by LeadFarmer

4 hours ago, VinnyE said:

We arrived at about 2.30 pm or so, so should not have been encountering "leavers" unless they were motor-homes going off site? We try to arrange our arrival to avoid meeting those leaving the site.

When my better half suggested moving the pole, she was told it was for mobility scooters!

There was no evidence that it had ever been used for this, and did not look fit for that purpose!

The journey was a bit stressful, poor weather and numpty drivers not having a clue about how much room a van needs etc.

A bit ironic when you actually hit a post?

Annoying and a real pain to fix but nobody died. We can all make mistakes,  im sure some 'numpty' drivers really dont appreciate the space we need, why should they?

Hope you get sorted quickly.

Edited by AJGalaxy2012
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

STEVAN, I understand your point about moving the post would deny pedestrian access between the post and the fence. But, I woukld think separating vehicular and pedestrian access would be a good thing!

In the 2 photos attached, the first shows the approach road with the gate on the left. You can see a building in the middle of the photo - the pedestrian access SHOULD be between this building and the fence behind the gate post. This would give proper pedestrian and mobility  scooter access that is safe and separate from motor homes /  caravans.

The second photo is from the other side of the gate - showing the fence and building to the left.

thumbnail_IMG_20191015_172841_resized_20191020_083615488.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20191012_102801_resized_20191020_083614708.jpg

I am not surprised that someone (two) on here were sharp enough to find the wording humorous. Well done guys, I wish I could go back and re-phrase it, but alas to late and I just have to take that on the chin! 

Yes, I was fuming with myself - thats why my better half drove the van round to the pitch and began parking - so that I could walk it off!

Absolutely right - no one hurt, so really glad about that!

I have already done a fix on the van - I bought an external 240 V socket. So I made a cardboard template of the cut out, marked it over the damaged area and cut it out!

Now have an external socket (albeit in a slightly strange location), that hides the incident reasonably well - if I say so myself!

tear 1.jpg

inside 1.jpg

cutout 1.jpg

socket 1.jpg

inside 2.jpg

20 minutes ago, VinnyE said:

STEVAN, I understand your point about moving the post would deny pedestrian access between the post and the fence. But, I woukld think separating vehicular and pedestrian access would be a good thing!

In the 2 photos attached, the first shows the approach road with the gate on the left. You can see a building in the middle of the photo - the pedestrian access SHOULD be between this building and the fence behind the gate post. This would give proper pedestrian and mobility  scooter access that is safe and separate from motor homes /  caravans.

The second photo is from the other side of the gate - showing the fence and building to the left.

Whilst I see your point, we mainly use rally fields and I think we have had such a wide and clear gateway into a site maybe once or twice in about 4 or 5 years! 

I love your fix and the lateral thinking that led to it.

Edited by Stevan

Thanks Stevan, I would rather fix or modify something rather than go down the Insurance route - which in our case would either result in the van being "written off" due to the expense of the repair (old van) or we carry a lot of the cost with the excess payment and then increased premiums forever!

I am quite pleased with my fix. and more importantly - so is the better half!

On 21/10/2019 at 19:50, VinnyE said:

I have already done a fix on the van - I bought an external 240 V socket. So I made a cardboard template of the cut out, marked it over the damaged area and cut it out!

Now have an external socket (albeit in a slightly strange location), that hides the incident reasonably well - if I say so myself!

Thats a great repair from what looks like a nasty bit of damage, well done.

• Like 1
  • +1 2

A very inventive way of preventing a large repair bill, I am impressed with the lateral thinking!

Andy

• +1 1

Do you still have to traverse the sea of white mud where the road crosses the course at Uttoxeter?

And are there still Asbestos warning signs on the ceilings in the shower/toilet blocks? 

Cheers

Keith 

Edited by rslsys

I bet its a strange feeling cutting into the bodywork of your own caravan.

Nice repair though :)

oh god that gash looks bad, worse then I thought. I was expecting a much smaller gash

macafee2

• +1 1

Thanks for the compliments on my repair guys - I hope nobody needs to do the same for a similar reason, but it may save someone a lot of money!

There is sand and what looks like some sort of fibre matting across the race course now, didnt look up to see if there were any asbestos signs!

Put the bench seating back in today and was expecting to have to modify it to account for the intrusion of the socket - but it looks like I had planned it to land where it does!

I did a rough guess and thought that it would be close - but better than expected!

done 1.jpg

done 2.jpg