Sign in to follow this  
sandy

CMC rebranding was it worth it

I understand the need to re-brand as a way to attract new members;the old logo, to me anyway, seem quite old-fashioned. However, they could have updated their name and logo whilst preserving their heritage not the CMϽ thing. 

I only joined the club (with a cashback discount) as a way to make a site cheaper and get a discount on the M6 toll. I wouldn't hesitate to not renew if I wasn't using the member benefits. I cancelled my C&CC membership renewal for this reason. 

Perhaps the club is losing caravanners because the sites have got too expensive.  For a motor caravan person the club is a spot that they can use to dump all their waste and to refill.

• +1 2

I could see why the cc wanted to update itself when they changed the green uniform for the maroon one.  However I seem to remember that the cc have changed their signage a couple of times lately and of course, all this cost money. The cc is supposed to be non profit making, or am I wrong on this, anyway they do a bit of upgrading to some sites each year and they also put the prices up. In the past I felt that this was okay , but and this is a big but, they then put up the prices on sites that didn't have any upgrades but were badly in need of it. Two that come to mind are Pandy and Tredegar House .  The proper business  name of the cc  is still the cc  , it is just the CMC of the sites that changed and for what reason as the motor homers knew that the cc welcomed them to be members. A complete waste of money. IMO they could have used the money to buy more sites , upgrade the sites that require it or at the very least not put the prices up so much, and let's be honest they get a guaranteed amount from our membership fees. 

Edited by joanie

22 hours ago, The Coachman said:

Then there was BT who spent millions re branding

I think that was hundreds of millions Mr C.

worst one was the time they resprayed all the vans grey , no one bothered asking the troops in the field who had to park their vans up at the side of the road in murky or foggy weather & watch in terror as oncoming vehicles bore down on them. They quickly applied yellow & black stripes to the back.

20 minutes ago, joanie said:

I could see why the cc wanted to update itself when they changed the green uniform for the maroon one.  However I seem to remember that the cc have changed their signage a couple of times lately and of course, all this cost money. The cc is supposed to be non profit making, or am I wrong on this, anyway they do a bit of upgrading to some sites each year and they also put the prices up. In the past I felt that this was okay , but and this is a big but, they then put up the prices on sites that didn't have any upgrades but were badly in need of it. Two that come to mind are Pandy and Tredegar House .  The proper business  name of the cc  is still the cc  , it is just the CMC of the sites that changed and for what reason as the motor homers knew that the cc welcomed them to be members. A complete waste of money. IMO they could have used the money to buy more sites , upgrade the sites that require it or at the very least not put the prices up so much, and let's be honest they get a guaranteed amount from our membership fees. 

If you squander money on stuff like rebranding etc then you wont make a profit, which I guess supports the aims of the organisation:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

I wonder how long this topic would have lasted if the OP had put it on the cc's forum?

• Haha 4
  • +1 1

On 20/10/2019 at 16:34, sandy said:

Hi 

Just read the CMC annual accounts statement in the magazine. Membership down and the only reason annual fees ballance is up is because of the price rise. Overall the accounts  show little or no growth since the rebranding took place one wonders if the 6 figure cost of the exercise was worth it.

Sandy

The results are nothing to do with the rebrand, I understand it was to do with a change in how they arrange their insurance services which has taken a one off hit this year. The site network often doesn't make a massive profit and has been in deficit before. Rising costs such as wages and one weather events can have a negative effect on figures.  The rebrand was done in order to acknowledge the increasing significance of motorhomes whose sales have increase considerably in recent years. Those that buy a motorhome, as a first leisure vehicle, as opposed to changing from a caravan, had little idea of what the Caravan Club was and many probably thought it was only for caravanners so including the word motorhome in the name was a logical step forward.  I appreciate this is a predominately a caravan forum but I would suggest that people take a wider view of our hobby as its in the interest of both caravanner and motorhomers that it continues to survive and grow in all our interests? As to the comment about the rebrand not lasting long on the CMC Club Together Forum I can assure that poster that it went on for hundreds of posts ad infinitum and in the course of the discussion it didn't always show the many posters in the best light!

David

11 hours ago, IanV8 said:

The DG, Nick Lomas, was at the SCC AGM last week and reported that there has been an increase in motorhome members since the rebranding.

Ian

Hardly surprising, given the boom in motorhome sales

The next re-brand will probably drop the word 'Caravan' from the name completely on the basis of the favouritism shown to Motorhomes on the last two club sites we stayed on!

Cheers

Keith

• Like 1
  • +1 1

11 hours ago, rslsys said:

The next re-brand will probably drop the word 'Caravan' from the name completely on the basis of the favouritism shown to Motorhomes on the last two club sites we stayed on!

Cheers

Keith

And keep the "since 1907" on the logo 🤔

I wonder if their statement could be seen as mis-leading the potential motorhome customers as it makes out it has had motorhomes as part of their membership since 1907 too??

Edited by kiaboy

On 20/10/2019 at 18:42, kiaboy said:

I spoke to a CL owner who had an inspector visit to check the site over, he found nothing whilst doing his checks, in fact he said how impressed they were running the site, until he started to drive off, then noticed they had not replaced the perfectly noticeable sign with the Walls ice cream logo, he was not happy with them, and made the comments on his report. And told them to change it before he left, the owners felt like dropping out the network saying the guy was a jobsworth. 🤔

I know what I would have done in that situation but I'll leave you to guess :angry:

Just my personal opinion you know . . . as one who after 35 year is no longer a CC member.

18 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Perhaps the club is losing caravanners because the sites have got too expensive.  For a motor caravan person the club is a spot that they can use to dump all their waste and to refill.

A growing number of motorhome owners like myself tow a car and use their motorhome and  "caravan" in it parking it on site for period . It is not uncommon to see motorhomes sit on site for a couple of weeks .

There are members that live in caravans that do the same and use the CMC sites for the washing machines , dumping rubbish and filling with water  not just motorhomes .

The growing market I have seen is the panel van conversions .

Dave

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 17:43, Mr Plodd said:

I am always amazed at why ANY company/organisation feels the NEED to rebrand, as, to my simple mind its a total and utter waste of money. Look at Waitrose for example, it’s now Waitrose AND PARTNERS. Who cares? Everyone I know still refers to the stores as just Waitrose. The same as just about everyone STILL refers to the “Caravan Club” 

Many years ago Dorset Police rebranded themselves. Probably something to do with the new ‘Head of Media” they took on. They thought it a good idea to change the Force logo, but only slightly. 

So all of the vehicles had to be re-badged with the new logo, all of the existing headed paper had to be binned, and there was a LOT of it, think how many different forms  the police use. At least they didn’t change the uniform.

I then moved on to work for the County Council and guess what? Yep, THEY decided to go for a total “re-branding” DESPITE complaining of having no money. So once again ALL of the councils vehicles had to be re-sprayed in the new “corporate colours”  along with ALL of the headed paper, all of the hand out leaflets etc etc. 

No-one was able to explain to me why it was done, and neither would they tell me the cost (I did ask under FOI) apparently it was “Commercially Sensitive Information”  so they didn’t/don’t have to reveal it to mere mortals. 

Then there is DVLA, which is now DVSA, which includes the “old” VOSA, and don’t forget The Highways Agency.  Which is now Highways England. I wonder how much of OUR money was spent re-branding THAT little lot?

Oh silly me, I forgot didn’t I? it’s not THEIR money is it, it’s yours and my tax revenue so that’s OK then.

Grrrrrrr 

You are losing sight of the fact that it’s a “Club” in name only. In reality it’s a multi million pound business that just calls itself a club.

Andy

Andy, what you say about club and company, oh so true and it is run as a company.

macafee2

13 hours ago, klyne said:

The results are nothing to do with the rebrand, I understand it was to do with a change in how they arrange their insurance services which has taken a one off hit this year. The site network often doesn't make a massive profit and has been in deficit before. Rising costs such as wages and one weather events can have a negative effect on figures.  The rebrand was done in order to acknowledge the increasing significance of motorhomes whose sales have increase considerably in recent years. Those that buy a motorhome, as a first leisure vehicle, as opposed to changing from a caravan, had little idea of what the Caravan Club was and many probably thought it was only for caravanners so including the word motorhome in the name was a logical step forward.  I appreciate this is a predominately a caravan forum but I would suggest that people take a wider view of our hobby as its in the interest of both caravanner and motorhomers that it continues to survive and grow in all our interests? As to the comment about the rebrand not lasting long on the CMC Club Together Forum I can assure that poster that it went on for hundreds of posts ad infinitum and in the course of the discussion it didn't always show the many posters in the best light!

David

Many motor caravanners do not bother to use any sites so why should they join the CMC or the C&CC for that matter?  The re-branding was a TOTAL waste of money!

• Haha 1
  • +1 2

Personally, its a heck of a mouthful.  Prefer the Caravan Club

• +1 2

Unfortunately the club has lost its way and is now an over priced poorly run club in my view. It a shame that they do not remember where the roots are and what they are supposed to be  with regards to their members

• Like 1
  • +1 2

10 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Many motor caravanners do not bother to use any sites so why should they join the CMC or the C&CC for that matter?  The re-branding was a TOTAL waste of money!

Have you been on a CMC recently? There are plenty of motorhomes using Club sites, certainly enough to give them equal billing in the name. The growth in the market is in motorhomes so it has to be embraced. 

On 20/10/2019 at 17:43, Mr Plodd said:

I am always amazed at why ANY company/organisation feels the NEED to rebrand, as, to my simple mind its a total and utter waste of money. Look at Waitrose for example, it’s now Waitrose AND PARTNERS. Who cares? Everyone I know still refers to the stores as just Waitrose. The same as just about everyone STILL refers to the “Caravan Club” 

The usual reason for a rebrand is to reinforce a point of difference with it's competitors.  I am sure you are not alone in still referring to Waitrose as Waitrose as many will with the CMC who will still call it the Caravan Club, including me sometimes!!! However the change in either case is not aimed at you and I.  Waitrose, and John Lewis for that matter, is an employee owned company and that is their point of difference compared to its competitors. It is a way of confirming to the people that work there that they are stake holders in the business.  I am sure it goes over the heads of most people but changing the name more closely aligns it with its business philosophy.  In a way the CC adding motorhome to its name  is making that point of difference. 

The cc did not and does not have any competition. The only other Club, which is smaller in size, takes in campers which the cc does not.

6 hours ago, DeeTee said:

The cc did not and does not have any competition. The only other Club, which is smaller in size, takes in campers which the cc does not.

Not sure I understand that a "competitor" that offers all you do, plus more, means it can't actually be a competitor?

10 hours ago, klyne said:

In a way the cc adding motorhome to its name  is making that point of difference. 

What difference? All main camp sites that I have used take motorhomes. At present the true point of difference is reliable standard, no deposit, ease of booking and ease of changing bookings, large network and one night bookings accepted. 

I presume the membership will continue to rise annually. Costs from all aspects of the organisation will rise after all, and if the membership base doesn’t cover a lot of it.. then the ones left will have to.  I also presume sites must pay a percentage of revenue to maintain their site/member status also, and their costs and over heads go up annually to.

maybe rebranding was a misguided waste of money for unknown benefit but that aside.. rising costs is a sad sign of the times imho 😊

Many years ago I was a Salesman for a very well known company selling various products ranging from Razor blades to Garden tools.

We sold a housewares product, which was a brand leading pan scourer, yellow in colour, named "Golden Fleece" which was the only pan scourer asked for by name back in the day. Some older members may recall it.

Called to a sales meeting at a large Heathrow hotel to be greeted by the re-branded product now to be named "Kitchen Buffalo" ??:( With all the advertising  support, it cost a small fortune, I believe!

Long story short, within 12 months the product died a death, factory making it closed and people ended up on the dole, very sad.

IMO re-branding is not always a good idea, oh, and I'm no longer a cc member either;)

We are on a commercial site and there are far more caravans  than motorhomes.  Actually looking out our windows I cannot see any motor caravans on the site which is a very large site with over 100 pitches.

Got an email asking us to vote and I guess who I did not vote for as the person IMHO has created a lot of disrepute for the club?  I appreciate a poster on here will jump tot eh defence of the Caravan Club and the poster is entitled to defend and voice their opinion.  :D

16 hours ago, klyne said:

Have you been on a CMC recently? There are plenty of motorhomes using Club sites, certainly enough to give them equal billing in the name. The growth in the market is in motorhomes so it has to be embraced. 

Hi 

Motor home use of sites depends very much on Location. For example Hawes and Thirsk sites are on the edge of towns and driving a motorhome can be avoided. Recently we spent 4 nights a the Lower Wensleydale site and motorhomes were in a minority with no more than a dozen on the site. It's 2 to 3 miles into Leyburn for shopping eateries etc. As a side issue the site is fairly priced and the wardens are superb. In the case of other club sites my wife and I spent 6 days on a very good commercial site near Bridlington at £22.00 a night  after finding the CMC site was a tenner more a night for the same period. I feel that the club sites are getting rather expensive and I suspect this has a greater influenced on site bookings rather than the cubs lame excuse  blaming the beast from the east.(this month's mag)

Sandy

Edited by sandy
Typo