sandy

CMC rebranding was it worth it

The Caravan Club, proper name, proper logo, don't like the Walls Ice Cream Logo

By the way, I love PR1's Tshirt

• I agree completely 1

8 hours ago, Minion 63 said:

PR1

Where can I get one of those shirts??

I wish I knew! I found the photo on another site a couple of years ago!

I would also wear one!

20 minutes ago, PR1 said:

I wish I knew! I found the photo on another site a couple of years ago!

I would also wear one!

A surefire hit for the forum's "Store", I would feel?

The answer to the original question is of course No. 

But I do think it is insulting to compare the logo to the Walls ice cream logo.  Both of the logos are pretty generic.   However the “Walls “ logo identifies the brand as being part of  Unilever.  You will see the same brand all over the world but it won’t be on Walls, it will be on the local ice cream brand.   So the Walls ice cream brand, actually the Unilever Heartbrand is meaningless by design.   The cmc one is simply meaningless. 

21 minutes ago, fred said:

But I do think it is insulting to compare the logo to the Walls ice cream logo.  

My apologies to Walls, if I must, but not to the 'CMC'.

The DG, Nick Lomas, was at the SCC AGM last week and reported that there has been an increase in motorhome members since the rebranding.

Ian

Just now, IanV8 said:

The DG, Nick Lomas, was at the SCC AGM last week and reported that there has been an increase in motorhome members since the rebranding.

Ian

He would have to say that otherwise it would have made the whole thing an expensive pointless exercise.

• Like 1

As it is a club, run for the members, and it was expensive, don't you think the MEMBERS should have been consulted?

I do!!

Cliff

3 minutes ago, IanV8 said:

Ian

Surely that's rather a reflection of the leisure market itself moving from touring van's to motorcaravans?

I suspect that was happening pre rebranding of the cc, not because of it.

2 minutes ago, JTQ said:

Surely that's rather a reflection of the leisure market itself moving from touring van's to motorcaravans?

I suspect that was happening pre rebranding of the cc, not because of it.

I guess the question the club had to face was recognise this and respond to it or continue to do what it had been doing - it’ll always disengage some especially if they see no personal benefit, but they have to reflect the leisure market.

The long terms benefits by their very nature won’t be visible in the short term.

15 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

I guess the question the club had to face was recognise this and respond to it or continue to do what it had been doing - it’ll always disengage some especially if they see no personal benefit, but they have to reflect the leisure market.

The long terms benefits by their very nature won’t be visible in the short term.

Of course they ought to recognise where the market is going and respond to that, however that does not require a complete rebranding  with  shirts, logo, etc etc, but adapt the site facilities to offer a better experience to the changing market.

It is what seems to me the pointless waste rebranding itself has cost that bugs me, where IMO the  use of those funds on improvement of the actual facilities rather than putting up the likes of different logos, would have been a much better  MH focused option.

Edited by JTQ
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, IanV8 said:

Ian

and a reduction in caravan members?

As existing club members sell their caravans and buy motor caravans, and as new members recruited are increasingly motor caravan owners, this trend will continue. It sounds like the Chairman is claiming credit for the trend! The trend will no doubt turn towards static caravans in the future, so another re branding will be needed.

15 hours ago, Ern said:

The club  did need to apply more consideration to motor caravans, especially in site development, because it was not keeping up with what the motor caravan membership needed.   Re-branding was a badly conceived idea which had an unexpected negative impact. The top management of the club is entirely responsible for the whole stupid incident. I suspect the inner circle of the club surrounding the Chairman is pretty bullet proof. He claims the rebranding was in response to members feed back. I have not yet come across any member including CL owners  who agree with that.

ps Or even was asked for feed back on the subject.

pps. and they still aren't listening to the members.

I thought the rebranding was due to him dumping his TV written off caravan and buying a motorhome?

Currently buying a motorhome is a fad because the Jones's have one.  On this forum and others it has been mentioned that a motor caravan owner is selling up to buy a caravan as the motor caravan is restrictive.

With this new tax on new motor caravan purchases , I think there will be a decline in motor home sales. 

Edited by Durbanite

9 minutes ago, Ern said:

and a reduction in caravan members?

As existing club members sell their caravans and buy motor caravans, and as new members recruited are increasingly motor caravan owners, this trend will continue. It sounds like the Chairman is claiming credit for the trend! The trend will no doubt turn towards static caravans in the future, so another re branding will be needed.

I was on Keswick C&CC a couple or three weeks ago... the sheer number of motorhomes was very noticeable, probably more than caravans but wait... no mention of motor homes in the club’s name.  

A rebranding of C&CC to C&C&MHC simply to attract motorhomes would appear to be far from necessary.  

Hi 

There is no arguing with fact that since the costly rebranding exercise membership has fallen. and the only increase in fees revenue was due to the membership price increase. The CMC may try to justify its rebranding but the reduction in membership to some extent confirms the rebranding was a waste of time and money.

Sandy

16 hours ago, The Coachman said:

Then there was BT who spent millions re branding

And the Post Office who later had to change their name back again!

I put into Google - When was the - CARAVAN CLUB - founded 14th June 1907 and next to that fact is the logo - wait for it --- CARAVAN AND MOTORHOME CLUB. 

I am a member of what used to be named the - CTC - (cafe to cafe or cake to cake) - Cycle Touring Club founded in 1878. Our patron is The Queen - we don't muck about us cyclists. A couple of years ago the club was renamed CYCLING UK. 

Why I have no idea. Most members still refer to it as the CTC as it seems is the case for the Caravan Club members.

Alan 

7 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

I was on Keswick C&CC a couple or three weeks ago... the sheer number of motorhomes was very noticeable, probably more than caravans but wait... no mention of motor homes in the club’s name.  

A rebranding of C&CC to C&C&MHC simply to attract motorhomes would appear to be far from necessary.  

Keswick and other sites such as Hawes and Thirsk always attract a large number of motorhomes as it is possible to walk into town from the site so no need to drive. Keswick also has the advantage of a bus station just up the road again leave the motorhome and use the bus. Being a caravan owner i have used the Keswick site and not used the car for a week using the bus to go up Borrowdale etc cheaper than paying for parking

Sandy

7 minutes ago, AlanNancy said:

Why I have no idea. Most members still refer to it as the CTC as it seems is the case for the Caravan Club members.

Indeed why use a mouthful like The Caravan and motorhome club when you can simply say The caravan club? 

• I agree completely 2

1 hour ago, IanV8 said:

Ian

No doubt Mr Lomax showed a chart showing a historical trend in the number of motorhomers as members.  This would show a major change in the gradient of the line as result of the name change.  Rather than a long term trend.  No I didn’t think so. 

My experience of the leadership of the Caravan Club ltd, trading as the Caravan and Motorhome Club, is that there is no fence that they can’t sit on and bandwagon the aren’t prepared to jump on. 

38 minutes ago, AlanNancy said:

And the Post Office who later had to change their name back again!

I put into Google - When was the - CARAVAN CLUB - founded 14th June 1907 and next to that fact is the logo - wait for it --- CARAVAN AND MOTORHOME CLUB. 

I am a member of what used to be named the - CTC - (cafe to cafe or cake to cake) - Cycle Touring Club founded in 1878. Our patron is The Queen - we don't muck about us cyclists. A couple of years ago the club was renamed CYCLING UK. 

Alan 

I still have my CTC cycling club badge, wonder if its worth anything??

It seems to me that the rebranding was a total waste of money.  They just needed to put the word out that the Club welcomed all caravaners with towed or motorised caravans.  Job done!

John.     :)

A regular advert in the motorhome magazines for the Caravan Club, welcoming owners as members, would no doubt have had much better impact at a fraction of the cost.

15 hours ago, PR1 said:

CE718155-10F8-49B3-B641-C145D7DD61F0.thumb.jpeg.85bbe5e08ac6a5a0caca1b4a0d781049.jpegMy

I do like the shirt but as we probably only use a Caravan Club site for an over night stop about once or twice a year it would be a bit wasted.

Edited by Durbanite

The Ferry Meadows club site still has the old Caravan Club signs outside it.

During peak periods it is always full, so no one has any trouble finding it.

• Haha 1