Sign in to follow this  
Johnaldo

Which Land Rover?

8 hours ago, stattam said:

Can you still get one with 6 cylinders?

Only the Mercedes version with the 3 litre OM642 engine. 

8 hours ago, stattam said:

Can you still get one with 6 cylinders?

No it's a 2.3 with twin turbos, so doesn't sound quite so nice but 190bhp and lots of torque makes up for it plus 38mpg on a good run and 24 towing a Buc! If you want a V6 the Amarok is your beast-got Caravan best truck for towing too-bit too pricey for us and not keen on the looks.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

No it's a 2.3 with twin turbos, so doesn't sound quite so nice but 190bhp and lots of torque makes up for it plus 38mpg on a good run and 24 towing a Buc! If you want a V6 the Amarok is your beast-got Caravan best truck for towing too-bit too pricey for us and not keen on the looks.

Thanks was just interested I dont want one.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

If you want a V6 the Amarok is your beast-got Caravan best truck for towing too-bit too pricey for us and not keen on the looks.

That has the Audi/Porsche 3.0 TDi - excellent engine - fitted in the Touareg as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

That has the Audi/Porsche 3.0 TDi - excellent engine - fitted in the Touareg as well.

We’ve got a V6 Amarok as a tug for the race car transporter. I have it for the weekend and can honestly say it’s an absolute animal in sport mode. To my mind with a truckman top it’s the ultimate towing machine

Edited by Tuningdrew
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder how popular the new Defender will be? Seems to have a good range of engines and specification, albeit at high prices.

A longer warranty would be nice.

I really fancied a Discovery but ended up with a Touareg.

197 bhp plays 238 bhp plus reviews saying overtaking at higher speeds was "interesting".

Enjoyed the test drive, though.

Reading this thread I am very take by the 4.4 Range Rover but unfortunately the Touareg wasn't used in a bank robbery so I don't have £20k stuffed down between the seats.

Edited by LittleGreyCat

We saw a new Defender 110 on M40 South yesterday. Black with Small "prototype vehicle" stickers front and rear.

Its a big beast, looked pretty good. Also some 90s on transporter going north. Probably in from factory in Slovakia.

It was near Gaydon. Usually lots of LRs on transporters on M40 coming from Solihull. Seen a few disguised ones in the area, often in Shropshire too.

Saw a new Defender being driven out of our shopping centre on Tuesday, very smart but starting at £45k....

1 hour ago, 664DaveS said:

We saw a new Defender 110 on M40 South yesterday. Black with Small "prototype vehicle" stickers front and rear.

Its a big beast, looked pretty good. Also some 90s on transporter going north. Probably in from factory in Slovakia.

It was near Gaydon. Usually lots of LRs on transporters on M40 coming from Solihull. Seen a few disguised ones in the area, often in Shropshire too.

The pre-production test vehicles are based at Gaydon, that JLR's main testing facility.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Saw a new Defender being driven out of our shopping centre on Tuesday, very smart but starting at £45k....

Not much different from (used) old versions! :blink:

Some are going for really silly money since they stopped making them.

eg - https://www.lrmotors.co.uk/showroom/vehicle/land-rover-defender-90-adventure-td-lr172

As for LR reliability, well yes they do come in for some stick but if you stick to the mantra of buying the best one you can afford with as low a miles as possible and a FULL service and maintenance history.

My personal favourite is the Discovery 4, (but check the electric hand break works!!!) and it's as above.

21 hours ago, The Happy Gnome said:

eg - https://www.lrmotors.co.uk/showroom/vehicle/land-rover-defender-90-adventure-td-lr172

As for LR reliability, well yes they do come in for some stick but if you stick to the mantra of buying the best one you can afford with as low a miles as possible and a FULL service and maintenance history.

My personal favourite is the Discovery 4, (but check the electric hand break works!!!) and it's as above.

That’s a lot of money for a tractor. 

11 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

You probably have not checked what tractors thesedays can cost.;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, The Happy Gnome said:

On 06/02/2020 at 09:44, Black Grouse said:

The pre-production test vehicles are based at Gaydon, that JLR's main testing facility.

Gaydon is also used for storage of excess stock. 

On 23/10/2019 at 08:37, Griff said:

Chap I know from visiting the same site together regularly, the last time I saw him he had then recently taken delivery of a D5 HSE after a couple of D4 HSE's and he made the same comment.

He tows a heavy twin axle and by his own admission 'doesn't hang around'.

I tow with a D5 and have towed with D3 and D4's and there is certainly a difference. However the difference is not noticeable and certainly no different to the towing between my D3 and D4.

The one time I do notice a difference is when I put two bikes on the back of the caravan and there is a difference then. However if you match the nose weight properly even when the bikes are on the back it is stable

Well enjoyed reading all these posts! Really must visit a Land Rover Dealer in the Manchester area in the next few weeks. They are far cheaper up north, than they are in the Bristol area!

Trouble is if I swap she will want a new caravan!

Ahh well, cannot take it with me!

By the way, I never buy new, always a Land Rover management vehicle, bought at 6 months old!

Only thinking though!

Edited by PR1
Spelling!

A little update on my Velar, it’s gone, the dealer could never get the connectivity and infotainment to work properly so no sat nav, no radio, no control of the heating.

Threatened to reject it through the finance company but they came up with a good deal on a 68 plate RR Sport SDV6 AB with deployable tow bar so just had a test drive with the van down to the South of Spain, rock solid, much better than the Velar.

Ian

59 minutes ago, IanV8 said:

A little update on my Velar, it’s gone, the dealer could never get the connectivity and infotainment to work properly so no sat nav, no radio, no control of the heating.

Threatened to reject it through the finance company but they came up with a good deal on a 68 plate RR Sport SDV6 AB with deployable tow bar so just had a test drive with the van down to the South of Spain, rock solid, much better than the Velar.

Ian

Good move squire!  Mine is best towcar I've had including a couple of L320s.  Mind you, it is about 400 kg lighter than a 320 so getting close to 100% tow ratio - we both tow heavy vans.

• Thanks 1

Great tow cars the heavy LRs  --  Any one want a good D4 XS with all the towing assistance programs I am going to sell ours as due to a brain tumour I am not allowed to  drive and the wife does not wish to tow!:beardy: it is a MY2011 9 years old  only 46000 miles but with a full extended warranty until Jan 2021 and Jaguar Land Rover have just fitted a new modified crankshaft engine at no cost to us

MODS please feel free to move if in the wrong place:blink:

Also a 2009 Airstream 532 up for sale Airstream2.thumb.jpg.736a7715fe50cb45b65200dbbd67f174.jpg

5 hours ago, TedNewman said:

Great tow cars the heavy LRs  --  Any one want a good D4 XS with all the towing assistance programs I am going to sell ours as due to a brain tumour I am not allowed to  drive and the wife does not wish to tow!:beardy: it is a MY2011 9 years old  only 46000 miles but with a full extended warranty until Jan 2021 and Jaguar Land Rover have just fitted a new modified crankshaft engine at no cost to us

MODS please feel free to move if in the wrong place:blink:

Also a 2009 Airstream 532 up for sale Airstream2.thumb.jpg.736a7715fe50cb45b65200dbbd67f174.jpg

Wow Ted - really very sorry to hear that news.  Take care sir!

• Haha 1