Johnaldo

Which Land Rover?

Hi all, after a bit of advice please.

I’m thinking of replacing my current tug with something a bit ‘heftier’, and I quite fancy a Land Rover - I don’t know why, but I just do!

So, if I go down that road, what do you good people recommend in terms of model, fuel, engine, transmission and spec?

What are the things to go for, and what would be best avoided?

I’ll be towing a 1425 MTPLM van, and the car’s certainly not going to be brand new - perhaps 2, 3 or 4 years old?

TIA, John.

PS, Please no replies along the lines “Get a Volvo XC90 instead” or such like - I just need info and advice about LRs 🙂

At that MTPLM you can chose any Land Rover you want.

To a degree I think they are a purchase from the heart so if you really fancy a 90, get a 90, likewise if a Disco 4 appeals get one of those instead. I’ve driven off road in a 90, 110, Disco TD5 and the current Range Rover TDV8 and what I can say is they are very different! The 90 and 110 are hugely analogue, the Range Rover impressive beyond belief and offer a vastly different experience.

I’d suggest trying a few of the breed to feel what you want.

Get a 2015/2016 Discovery 4 HSE or similar. Euro 6 engine so reduced VED, and no worse than a Range Rover in terms of off-road capability and interior bling and comfort. Kerb weight is 2600kg so will tow just about any caravan safely.

Register at Disco3.co.uk and ask for a D4 recommendation - in fact it can be a good place to buy one.

Frankbullet’s pretty much on the money. Like him I’ve driven loads of LRs on and off-road. They’re very different to each other, try them to see what floats your boat. 

The Discovery SDV6 is an awesome thing, more capable than a Defender. Which is an agricultural throwback, and that’s why some people love them. 

Dont underestimate Freelanders, we’ve had 2 and an auto SD4 makes a very good towcar. 

Me, I landed up with a Jeep Grand Cherokee, which is ace, but I do sometimes wish I’d got a late Disco4 instead. 

Any Defender is now going to be silly money, it might retain a decent percentage though. The 90 we found was a bit prone to "pitching", unavoidable on such a short wheelbase, our 110s were in various regards so much better a "caravanning" tool. More stable and much more usable room, though ultimately we found them too basic for our longer hauls we are doing in retirement  where their lack of refinement and air conditioning became issues.

Our current MY 16 D4 and previous MY 05 D3 have been really excellent vehicles, in every respect. The first MY 04 D3, must have been an escaped prototype,  with LR quickly buying it back!

I have used Freelander 1 & 2s and for your task it would be a later version of the Freelander two that I would suggest represents the most cost effective Land Rover option. It makes a decent tow car and modest fuel hungry general purpose car, if not a real full on LR experience, a practical one.

Edited by JTQ

After 6 full size RRs I have just changed to a Velar and it is an awesome tow car, got a few friends who now have Disco sports and again they are very impressed.

Had a half day Land Rover Experience yesterday and was amazed at what the Velar could do.

It might be worth booking two one hour sessions with LRE and trying two different cars, don’t think you can change cars on the half day one but you could ask.

Ian

I have a MY 15 LR D4 with now 15,250 miles on the clock.Bought the vehicle new to tow our caravan  in Europe we do not caravan in Uk due to usual bad weather, no wet field s for us.First year 2,500 mile trip no problem, second year engine management light came on fixed by LR Saragosa still under warranty, this year ABS sensor fault causing us a lot of problems as it came off and on and we cut our journey short.Vehicle kept going into safe mode (should be re labelled unsafe mode) Brilliant vehicle it's just the reliability that causes concern.Will try again in 2020,hopefully third time lucky,if it does not perform as it should it will be going,no idea what to change it for though. 

Looking at the various reliability issues that SOME (but certainly not all) people seem to have with LR’s all I can say is your a braver (or richer) man than me!! 

Andy

• Confused 1

Other than a D5 Johnaldo, had the full set of Discovery's including two D4's so five in total.

On the mpg front, I have only kept records from the D3 on which read like this........

06 plate D3 S,        29,865miles/1323gals

10 plate D4  XS,     35,004 miles/1531gals (6 speed)

15 plate D4 HSE,   27,274 miles/1046gals (8 speed)

The 8 speeder being the most economical.

No reliability issues with any of mine including the D1 (300Tdi) or D2 (Td5).

There is a lot that can go wrong with them though so best approach with open pockets. ;)

Our D4 MY11 has been all over Europe towing our Airstream as well as solo and in that time  (now over nine years) it has had one new battery, one set of tyres and one ''glitch'' when a warning light came on (but no fault found)  and has never let us down  BUT  as Griff says they like most modern cars have a lot to go wrong !

Bought from new my 2011 8 speed D4 is just coming up 60K miles, most of which has been spent lugging the caravan effortlessly around Europe. I get 22mpg towing but I didn't buy it for its fuel economy.

It had it's first fault earlier this year - a lazy air suspension compressor, which cost £1000 to replace, paid for by Warranty Direct. I wouldn't run a car like this without a decent warranty.

• Like 1

Having owned 3 Discoveries and one LR3 2012 4.4 V8 diesel, the later being my current tow car. This full fat Range Rover (as we refer to this model on our forum) is by far the best tow car I have owned, super comfortable, super powerful, at 21/2 tons it never lets the tail wag the dog. Towing at 58 mph the engine is only running at 1200 rpm, so economy is  very good. A good, low mileage 2012 vogue model could be bought for around £17000. A lot of car that would have cost in access of 50K new. I must stress I am recommending the Range Rover as the perfect tow car and not a run around town car, for this we use a Renault Zoe electric car.

I've had a D2, D3 two D4's and now a D5.  What i can say is that the majority of the reliability issues are mostly the bells and whistles  ie software.  I would have thought you could get an excellent D4 a absolute rock solid tow car.

• Like 1

On 19/10/2019 at 13:33, Mr Plodd said:

Looking at the various reliability issues that SOME (but certainly not all) people seem to have with LR’s all I can say is your a braver (or richer) man than me!! 

Andy

Current Disco 4 is a little over 3 1/2 years old, costing me  fortune, two sets of rear brake  pads now, one set of front pads, two tail gate struts, soon to be fitting a new set of boots all round, terrible at this age and 45000 miles.

Previous one  was just as bad, both the FL2’s were terrible, had to fit a battery on one of them.

Serious  note though, for what the OP needs an Evoque or Discovery Sport would be more than adequate to pull his van, but I would without doubt stay away from any that have the Ingenium under the bonnet, Oil Dilution, Turbos, EGR Valves, Oil Leaks, Balance Shafts, the list goes on, anyone who remembers the old K Series engine, the Ingenium is becoming known as the K Series Mk2.

• Haha 1

Agree with the Evoque or Disco Sport.

Do not touch an Ingenium diesel. The old 2.2D is bullet proof though.

Add the petrol ones to the list, reports of engines being replaced before the first service.

15 minutes ago, ad210358 said:

Add the petrol ones to the list, reports of engines being replaced before the first service.

Whaaaaaat??

Thats worse than disgraceful for ANY manufacturer let alone a supposedly “premium” one.

Andy

• Like 1

JLR have signed an engine supply agreement with BMW. It needs to be total and scrap the Ingeniums

18 minutes ago, logiclee said:

JLR have signed an engine supply agreement with BMW. It needs to be total and scrap the Ingeniums

How much have they already invested in the engine plant at Wolverhampton? That's a lot to write off.

Just now, Black Grouse said:

How much have they already invested in the engine plant at Wolverhampton? That's a lot to write off.

Someone has worked out that buying from BMW is going to cost them less than that investment AND all the possible warranty claims.

Tells me everything I would want to know about NOT buying one of their recent vehicles second hand. 

Andy

Hi all, thanks for all the helpful replies so far.

The reviews seem a bit mixed, eg brilliant but unreliable.  But having done some more research, it’s looking like, if I go down the LR route, I’ll be considering something like a Discovery 4 diesel auto ... not an Ingenium ... but with a warranty! Looking at the prices and running costs though, it’s going to be a bit older than I’d planned ☹️

John

Edited by Johnaldo

Make sure your D4 is at least 61 plate to get the superior 8 speed gearbox. Earlier ones were 6 speed.

4 hours ago, ad210358 said:

Source ?

4 hours ago, ad210358 said:

Current Disco 4 is a little over 3 1/2 years old, costing me  fortune, two sets of rear brake  pads now, one set of front pads, two tail gate struts, soon to be fitting a new set of boots all round, terrible at this age and 45000 miles.

Previous one  was just as bad, both the FL2’s were terrible, had to fit a battery on one of them.

Serious  note though, for what the OP needs an Evoque or Discovery Sport would be more than adequate to pull his van, but I would without doubt stay away from any that have the Ingenium under the bonnet, Oil Dilution, Turbos, EGR Valves, Oil Leaks, Balance Shafts, the list goes on, anyone who remembers the old K Series engine, the Ingenium is becoming known as the K Series Mk2.

Brake pad replacement is subject to usage, and tail gate struts are hardly a fortune - try SGS Engineering.

A tyre change at 45000 miles seems quite acceptable.

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

Just over a year ago I moved from a 3.0 TDi Touareg (fantastic tow car) to a 4.4 TDV8 Range Rover. I thought the Touareg was as good as it gets, the Rangie moves it to a completely new level. The V8 is a great engine, sequential turbo's so it's very responsive at lower revs and has absolutely brutal power when you plant the gas pedal. The gearbox is renowned as one of the best gearboxes around and in eighth gear 70 mph is 1300 rpm.  Driven solo and keep the speeds down to 60, 40+ mpg is easily possible on a journey.

It is of course a very technical vehicle but a) there is a lot of information on the various forums and b) there are a lot of independents around, parts are relatively cheap, I replaced an airbag on the front air suspension, it took an hour to do and part cost £125.

Its a very different driving experience and in all honesty I'm not sure what I will get next, I cant imagine how anything can improve on old fatty.

Seen on another forum recently;

"How do you turn someone into a mechanic? Buy them a Land Rover!!"

• Confused 3

15 minutes ago, Allan Guest said:

Seen on another forum recently;

"How do you turn someone into a mechanic? Buy them a Land Rover!!"