greenfish

London transport tips

We too much prefer Crystal Palace as it's in a much more interesting and diverse area. As said, getting to the centre is very easy. The clincher for us coming from the Midlands is avoiding the dreadful M25 (although I have to say the South Circular can be "interesting").

I don't know what the current status of the ridiculous "improvement" scheme is but am glad it's been scrapped at least for the time being.

On 19/10/2019 at 12:54, matelodave said:

When I was kid, living in London (Islington) my Bro and I used to rampage around the ToL on Saturdays because it was free to get in (mind you that was over 60 years ago).

As far as I can remember it was 6d to go up the Monument, but as that was a week's pocket money we didn't do it very often.

The last time I did it was a few years ago and it was £20 a head (I hadn't achieved pensioner status then)

Actually a good day out can be had by getting the bus to Greenwich (Cutty Sark and Museums) or take a trip on the Emirates airline cable car - use an Oyster card and you can visit the Docklands Museum or from Greenwich get a boat into London again using an Oyster card.  The last time I did it it was 30% off the Emirates and boat trip with a travel card.

If you've got a wrinklies rail card you can get it applied to an Oyster card and get 30% off or get a travel card added to your rail tickets. https://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/using-your-railcard/travel-times-tickets/

If I go into London from Ely I can get a zone 1-6 travel card for about £4 on my rail ticket.

I too was an Islington boy and London was my playground.

The Tower of London, the  Monument, & St Pauls were regular places to go,I cycled a lot then, a bike ride to Runnymead and Southend -on-Sea were done quite a few times.

Then there were the Red Rovers  image.png.bcd213f923ac0d5f217e219b0f131842.png

and Twin Rovers, the predecessors to travel cards. image.png.3edab0f25470986bae3500ad7d97f4b8.png

I would go all over London on the busses and underground.  A great day out for just a few shillings. Read about Red Rovers here

Great worry free times!