greenfish

London transport tips

Off to abbeywood next weekend with husband,  daughter and a friend what is the cheapest option for getting around London for 2 days.

Tia 

The children are 13 yrs

Edited by greenfish
Spelling

We did this a few weeks back. The train from Abbey Wood and the tubes all take contactless credit and debit cards so we did this. Each day, the train into London and back plus various tube journeys typically cost us £10 each per day.

The easiest way would be to buy Travel Cards at the station that give you access to trains/underground/buses. I am sure a Google will bring up the prices. You can sign up for a visitor Oyster Card but you may have to arrange that in advance but I have no idea of the relative costs viz a viz a Travel Card. If you are going to Greenwich the bus might be easier as the station is a bit further away.  If you want to use the Thames Clipper from Greenwich to get into Central London I think they give a discount on production of your Travel Card.

David

No need to buy and “load” an Oyster card these days.

Use your contactless bank card to “dab” in and out of tube stations and on buses.

Its a clever system that will never charge you more per day than the Oyster single day unlimited travel pass. 

I have used it and it and it works seamlessly. 

Andy

• +1 1

Use your mobile phone (Google pay or Apple pay).

Just make sure you always tap in and out with the same card or device to ensure the daily limits are applied.

Edited by PandR
  • Like 1

I seem to remember that you need to register a credit / debit card with TFL but I may be out of date. It's a couple of years since I did this.

Of course anyone with an English over-65 travelcard can uses buses FOC.

You don't have to register a card to use it on the Oyster system.

Thanks everyone that's great I can just use contactless. Just off to plan my sightseeing now.🙄

We pre-booked the popular attractions  (London Eye and Madam Tussaurds) to beat the queues. It costs a bit more but definitely worth it. Abbey Wood site is a great base for London and easy to find following the directions in the book.

Just for info the Tower of London is over thirty quid EACH! 

Andy

21 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

Wow that is very expensive.  We visited there many years ago and at the time thought £18 was expensive!  BTW at the time we could not afford for the four of us to go inside.  Is it really worth the money?

We visited Canterbury in September. They wanted £12 each to get into the cathedral.  No chance!

9 minutes ago, 664DaveS said:

We visited Canterbury in September. They wanted £12 each to get into the cathedral.  No chance!

That’s what we thought, nevertheless they had queues so probably did not worry about our lost business.

John 

A great way to see London is buy yourself the hop on hop off bus tickets, which also covers travel on city cruises who have a stop at Greenwich pier which is short bus ride from abbeywood.

46 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

£30:50 But travel by train, get 2 for 1. (Perhaps not so good for caravan eras).

Or visit:  

https://www.hrp.org.uk/tower-of-london/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_vaFqJOo5QIVg0PTCh0yngXcEAAYASAAEgIE-vD_BwE#gs.b330oi

Concessions £19:50

John

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

When I was kid, living in London (Islington) my Bro and I used to rampage around the ToL on Saturdays because it was free to get in (mind you that was over 60 years ago).

As far as I can remember it was 6d to go up the Monument, but as that was a week's pocket money we didn't do it very often.

The last time I did it was a few years ago and it was £20 a head (I hadn't achieved pensioner status then)

Actually a good day out can be had by getting the bus to Greenwich (Cutty Sark and Museums) or take a trip on the Emirates airline cable car - use an Oyster card and you can visit the Docklands Museum or from Greenwich get a boat into London again using an Oyster card.  The last time I did it it was 30% off the Emirates and boat trip with a travel card.

If you've got a wrinklies rail card you can get it applied to an Oyster card and get 30% off or get a travel card added to your rail tickets. https://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/using-your-railcard/travel-times-tickets/

If I go into London from Ely I can get a zone 1-6 travel card for about £4 on my rail ticket.

Edited by matelodave

I’m currently in London for the weekend with ly 13yr old lad. We are just using a contactless bank card each to tap in and out of tube stations. Use as much as you like, the daily fee is capped at whatever a day pass costs. Just remember to tap out at each station or it throws a wobble and probably charges you for every individual trip. 

When we get to a tube station I hand a bank card to my lad to tap in, same again when wherever we exit. 

Edited by LeadFarmer

Depending on how mobile you are and where the train comes into, so much of central London is walkable in 15 minutes. Many people will just get on the tube for one or two stops when it's quicker generally to walk.

If you put some effort in before you go you can get discounts for kids under 15 - https://www.visitlondon.com/traveller-information/getting-around-london/do-kids-need-an-oyster-card so just handing them your credit/debit card to get through would probably cost them (or you) the adult fare. I dont know whether several of you can get through on the same card - all swiping in one after the other and then all swiping out at the end of your journey

IMO working out the best deal for getting around London is a bit of a challenge and needs quite a bit of effort to optimise it. It's probably OK if you live in London or do it a lot but isn't everso easy if you are a visitor or just decide to go there on the spur of the moment.

I go down 4-5 times a year and can save about £12 a journey using my Senior Railcard (cost £30 a year or £70 for three years), and get a discount on an Oyster card/travel card or use my bus pass.

BTW those who have an official hearing aid (prescribed or NHS) qualify for a Disabled Rail Card which is only £20 a yea/£56 for three years and allow you to take a helper with you  who also get 30% off. Also there are no time restrictions like there are on other discounted rail cards

Edited by matelodave

12 minutes ago, Jiffy176 said:

Depending on how mobile you are and where the train comes into, so much of central London is walkable in 15 minutes. Many people will just get on the tube for one or two stops when it's quicker generally to walk.

That is a VERY good point indeed. I was surprised at just how compact the touristy bits are.

Andy

4 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

I work for the JL partnership and we get lots of free entry to many tourist sites in london

I was going to use my free bus pass and get the bus in Croydon, then travel into London that way:D.  Wanted to visit the Natural History Museum.  Went some years ago, but only saw the ground floor, and that took most of the day, so want to see more of it.  But to use the tube need Oyster card or as a lot of you have said contactless will do for me:D.  Seems no messing about then

You might find that it takes nearly all day by bus to get from Croydon to the NHM.

I frequently find that it's quicker to walk  rather than faff about with the bus.

10 hours ago, iansoady said:

I seem to remember that you need to register a credit / debit card with TFL but I may be out of date. It's a couple of years since I did this.

Of course anyone with an English over-65 travelcard can uses buses FOC.

Er, no, not an over 65 card. It is a Senior Concessionary Travel Pass and you are eligible from your birthday equivalent to the female pension age at that time.  I got mine when I was 61, my wife (two years younger) got hers at 64. The present concessionary age is 66 nationally.

The Freedom Pass for London residents permits free travel on bus, tube, or overground within the Greater London area, and on buses nationally. We poor non-London residents only get free bus travel in London but even that is great fun especially if you get to ride on the top deck!

Love Abbey Wood, only stayed there once. We prefer to use crystal palace club site, walk out of the gates turn left and about 5 minutes walk across the road is the bus stop. Catch the number 3 bus into London £1:50 each, takes about 50 minutes to get in the centre of London. Don't bother with oyster, just use our contactless barclay cards. Plus you will only get charged £4 total in a day, never bother with the tubes. In no rush to get anywhere, glad Crystal Palace stayed open. We're off there again to see the new year in, plus crystal palace has a lovely town plenty of food and drink places. But don't tell everyone, or else we'll struggle to get booked in...... 

• Thanks 1