Sign in to follow this  
Johnnyboy1

The Ninety Day Rule and Brexit

So here we are again, the dreaded Brexit, we have friends who are currently in sunny Spain, and they’re panicking about Brexit so here’s the outline of the question or possibly questions.

normally, apparently the law says that you can only spend 90 days in 180 days in Europe, up until now most people have ignored this fact and so have the authorities, BUT, and here’s the rub, with Brexit possibly kicking in tomorrow will the blind eye stop? Will the authorities take people to task for going over the 90 term, and if so what are the penalties likely to be.  DOES ANYONE KNOW, whilst this is an approximation we’re guessing that at present there are possibly hundreds of thousands of people that would normally stay for up to 180 days of winter sun.  Will this end up being another cash cow for the government’s 

your answers if you have any would be appreciated 

sorry, from what you say the rule has always been there for some time but now you think it is a cash cow if it is adhered to.

ha ha government stops turning a blind eye and people get upset even though the pubilc may have been ignoring the rule. I guess they need to blame someone, wouldn't be their fault.

I have no idea on the rules, just going by op's post. Anything on government web site about it?

macafee2

Edited by macafee2

There will need to simply take up Spanish citizenship to stay more than 90 days and I think I read you can't have dual nationality .

If you stay more than 90 days you will become a illegal immigrant and arrested when leaving the Schengen zone and go to Court and fined a one year ban which could lead to prison if the fine is unpaid .

In 2021 there will be a electronic visa system introduced to visit the zone .

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/etias/

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Brexit doesn't happen tomorrow, it supposed to happen on 31st October.

I have no doubt that a lot of rules will change when (if) it happens and it's really up to you (or your friends) to find out what they might be to avoid ending up on the wrong side of them. The sanctions for transgressing could be anything from a warning, a fine, imprisonment or deportations (I doubt that they'll bring back the birch or hanging though)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You currently have the right to stay for as long as you want in the EU but you may in theory be required to register after 90 days in some countries and you will usually be considered resident after 180 in a calendar year. Enforcement is very rare in both cases.

Nothing will change during the transition period if the deal is approved.

Only in the case of a no deal Brexit does your friends have anything to worry about at the moment.

On behalf of our friends I would like to thank those of you that gave a positive response

3 hours ago, macafee2 said:

sorry, from what you say the rule has always been there for some time but now you think it is a cash cow if it is adhered to.

ha ha government stops turning a blind eye and people get upset even though the pubilc may have been ignoring the rule. I guess they need to blame someone, wouldn't be their fault.

I have no idea on the rules, just going by op's post. Anything on government web site about it?

macafee2

Yep, we think that’s the way of it, but as I said, up to now there have been no repercussions for staying longer than 90 days, I’ve even attempted to find out what exactly the penalties might be via various government websites but to no avail , it appears that historically there are no fines, no imprisonments and no president, I was  hoping that someone might have an idea.  The are thousands of people in Europe on long stay breaks, that is longer than 90 days, ah well.

If we leave the EU does that mean that there will be 'Duty Free' shops on the ferries?

Will people go on Booze runs again?

Alan

• Haha 1

:goodpost:What a really good question.

Providing I can get to Dover, I am due to go across on the 3rd November so can let you know..

But the tax at least on wine, all we would be interested in, over there presently is low, so what real bonus are you thinking "Duty Free" will bring, the more so you would then have a quantity limit?

Trying to figure out what the rules will be post Brexit is virtually impossible until any deal is actually made, how they will then be implemented is even harder to predict.

• Thanks 1

Is the old ‘duty free’ agreement based on an international arrangement or was it a sort of ‘deal’ across various European countries that limited quantity and tax liability?

If it’s the latter then to quote a certain individual “Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed” 

It may mean a return to paying duty on over a certain number of bottles of wine.

John        :(

The same applies already today when returning from a non-EU country.

Don't forget the one pack ciggies, one litre of spirits, etc, etc, etc. 

49 minutes ago, JTQ said:

But the tax at least on wine, all we would be interested in, over there presently is low, so what real bonus are you thinking "Duty Free" will bring, the more so you would then have a quantity limit?

As I remember it the 'Quantity Limit' was huge.

Alan

51 minutes ago, AlanNancy said:

As I remember it the 'Quantity Limit' was huge.

Alan

Unless the "deal" has other ideas, then it will revert to the normal UK wine duty free allowance of 4 litres excluding sparkling. 

2 litres of Sparkling, 1 litre of spirit and 16 litres of beer.

So I would not get too excited of the killing to be made unless our negotiators have really done a proper job, bit of a contradiction in terms me thinks!

https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/arrivals-from-outside-the-EU#targetText=Alcohol allowance&targetText=You can bring in%3A,(not sparkling) - 4 litres

1 hour ago, Stevan said:

Trying to figure out what the rules will be post Brexit is virtually impossible until any deal is actually made, how they will then be implemented is even harder to predict.

Absolutely spot on.

There are NO answers until/if a decision is reached.

All I can say is that 180 is a very long winter! I don't think any sane person dare predict what will happen tomorrow, if they know put a bet on now. If the deal goes through, or Brexit is delayed, things will stay the same until either the end of December 2020 or until the end of  any extension if granted. To be fair I can't understand why your friends have left it until now to panic!!! Surely they must have realised that things would become more difficult at some point in the last three and a half years?  Perhaps what they might have to get used to is having either shorted stay or perhaps flying home for a short period half why through so they comply with any new rules? Alternatively apply to be Spanish citizens?

David

• Like 1

My guess is that without a deal, travelling in mainland Europe will be much like the US.

For all practical purposes you can stay in the US for 90 days. If you overstay your welcome, you are "unlikely" to be caught and deported.

If you do overstay, you won't get back in again and sadly those checks are easy to perform with a hard border.

The days of traveling for a year or two around Europe will be gone once we leave.

(And that's not withstanding medical insurance. I will travel to the EU presently even if the private medical insurance is withheld. Wouldn't dream of doing that without the E111 or if travelling to the US).

6 hours ago, Johnnyboy1 said:

Yep, we think that’s the way of it, but as I said, up to now there have been no repercussions for staying longer than 90 days, I’ve even attempted to find out what exactly the penalties might be via various government websites but to no avail , it appears that historically there are no fines, no imprisonments and no president, I was  hoping that someone might have an idea.  The are thousands of people in Europe on long stay breaks, that is longer than 90 days, ah well.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/consequences-of-overstaying-in-schengen-area/

As bad as Sky news as all wild speculation and guesses!  :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, matelodave said:

EU citizens living here have to apply to stay the same .

https://www.gov.uk/staying-uk-EU-citizen