Sign in to follow this  
Eden phillips

Issue with charger

Hello,

my friend was experiencing issue with their caravan charger as when plugged into mains power the caravan 12v lights would start to flicker but wouldn’t while running solely of the battery and we have tested the battery and all okay but it simply will not charge I have done some voltage check and there is 12 volts coming out of the battery charger as there should be and as it goes through the 12 volts fuse board no 12 volts come out the other side to the connect so do this mean an issue with the fuse board even if there’s continuity along all the wires and pins?

A battery charger should be delivering something near to 14V. If it's only delivering 12V it's not doing anything.

A battery showing 12V is a flat battery. A fully charged one is 12.7V

To check battery state

1 -Switch everything off first.

2 -Wait 4hrs after charging

Battery voltages

above 12.7V = 100%

above 12.5V = 75%

above 12.4V = 50%

above 12.2V = 25%

below 12.0V =  0%

The information needed is what make of van is it and what make of power distribution system does it have.

If it has Nordelettronica system then there are well known faults that happen.

Mine played up like that in Spain recently, we had no 12V lights/Toilet Flush/Water Pump etc. an "engineer " friend determined it definitley was the charger, called Red Pennant and we had delivery three days later

For it to be OK on battery buttery but not charging on ehu points firmly at a charger fault. For the lights to flicker on ehu also points to a charger fault.

5 hours ago, Stevan said:

For it to be OK on battery buttery but not charging on ehu points firmly at a charger fault. For the lights to flicker on ehu also points to a charger fault.

It depends on the type of charger fitted.

My Swift Conqueror that I had years ago used to flicker the lights when it was on stage two of it's 3 stages, the PWM frequency was too slow and even the incandescent  lights flickered (it was about 10Hz, I modified it to be 100 Hz and all was good.