Sign in to follow this  
JohnArran

Hymer sliding door handle

I bought a 2016 Hymer Nova 580 caravan this year.  It is in very good condition as you might expect.  However, en route in Deeside Scotland something happened to the bathroom sliding door.  I believe I had it shut/locked and the twisting roads in Scotland must have unlatched it (latching mechanism not great).  At any rate, when I arrived on site, I discovered the door closed and 'stuck', the handle broken, and when I eventually managed to open the door the back runner hinge was also broken and lying on the floor.  I have managed to locate a hinge (eku clipo 15, I believe) but don’t know the handle manufacturer.  Hymer want about £25 plus vat for it.  

I have reconstructed the handle (glue and longer screws) but I doubt it’s longevity.  Any suggestions.  Can anyone identify the handle from diagram below.

CF25EB78-15BC-4407-9E1F-DB325AC52863.png

We have a 590 and the sliding door is a thing of great beauty.  Shame it doesn’t actually work.  I have lost count of the number of hours I have spent trying to adjust the hangers.   I have replaced these, but they are not cheap.  About £12 if iirc.  But what ever I did it was either locked you in or so loose the door would swing madly about.  

Our handle was replaced under warranty.  But I repaired the original by drilling the part takes the screws and replacing them with machine screws.  

My solution is as follows.  I placed a piece of wood behind the door so that in the full open position it doesn’t mean the first hanger doesn’t slam into the stop in the rail and break, when you take a bend at 40mph.   We wedge the door open by placing the clothes bag there not pretty but works.  

Sorry that this isn’t very helpful but I just wanted to say, you are not alone. 

Edited by fred
Edit: Just searched my mail and I got my hangers from here. T&S Architectural