BOAC

Wheel lock. Milenco Wraith Vs Purple Line Nemesis

As we all know, Al-Ko wheel locks are not the caravanners favourite and two good contenders are the Milenco Wraith and the Purple Line Nemesis.

I am not interested in any other makes of other devices, but if you have owned or used the Wraith AND Nemesis which one do you favour and why please.

If you own one of the above, please review it and has your insurance company given you a reduced premium for using one or the other. 

Please comment on the ease of fitting.

Thank you.

Edited by BOAC
typo

I have used the nemesis. It's extremely easy to put on and take off, only takes seconds to do both.

I have had a couple of occasions over the last couple of years where the only position the bar of the nemesis which slides through the wheel, could only be slid through the top of the wheel. Due to the position of the caravan on my drive with the reciever bolt being in the wrong place

This makes fitting impossible as the bar hits the chassis.

I hope this is makes sense, 

I did get a discount for using it.

Edited by Danuk
  • Thanks 1

https://www.purpleline.co.uk/all-products/nemesis-ultra 

this link shows the insurers who give a discount for using the lock. 

we have the nemesis, we've had had one for about 4 years and we had to get another one when we bought a new caravan. When we had the new 'van we had to take out a couple of the washers for it to fit the new 'van, but we couldn't get the  little screw out, that's when we bought the second nemesis. However we  that's my OH did get the screw out with a drill and I asked nemesis for another screw which they sent  2, so now we have two locks but  that's okay, they'll come in handy.  We now make sure we put a bit of oil on the screw every so often to keep it working. The lock is so easy to fit , no messing about , fully recommend it, BTW, I know nothing about the other lock you mentioned.  

Edited by joanie
  • Thanks 1

Mine struggles as the alloys mean it can go through the lower half of the wheel but hits the frame any higher.

Two locking wheel bolts would sort this out.

I use Nemesis, seconds to fit and take off, no faffing about lining up receivers, I have not had the problems my fellow users have described.

Would I buy another - Yep

Did I get Insurance discount - Yep

• Thanks 1

We use Nemesis can’t fault it. Easy to use. Have receivers on both wheels so have the choice of which wheel to use.

3331F035-85D2-408B-8753-3F12D393211E.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Danuk said:

I have used the nemesis. It's extremely easy to put on and take off, only takes seconds to do both.

I have had a couple of occasions over the last couple of years where the only position the bar of the nemesis which slides through the wheel, could only be slid through the top of the wheel. Due to the position of the caravan on my drive with the reciever bolt being in the wrong place

This makes fitting impossible as the bar hits the chassis.

I hope this is makes sense, 

I did get a discount for using it.

It makes sense to me with the Wraith

At home fitted special bolt high up on wheel and bar fitted a doddle

We are away at York and I struggled trying many angles but could not get it to lock

Finally removed locking bolt and swapped it for at the top and it fell on with as much as to say “THAT’S THE WAY TO DO IT”

Unlike the Alko you can move the receiver

I bought the Nemesis mainly to get a bit of extra discount on my Swift Supersure insurance policy, but I don't have much faith in the locks effectiveness. The weakest part seems to be the two ball bearings that lock in the 'out' position, holding the lock in place, but it doesn't seem very strong. Ive read of a member on here who's caravan was stolen whilst fitted with both a Nemesis and an Alko wheel lock, the thieves just towed the caravan away and the Nemesis fell apart.

As for fitting the Nemesis, I find the receiver wheel nut isn't always in the right place for the lock to be fitted, and sometime you can't move the caravan to get it in the right place, so I fitted a second receiver nut on the other wheel, to double the chances of it being in the right place for me.

Im generally a fan of not adding any extra security to my car/caravan/motorbike and not ticking any of the options boxes when getting your insurance quote, that way you don't have to bother with any devices, yet your still covered, the extra premium can be worth the lack of hassle of having to always fit the devices to remain covered.

Edited by LeadFarmer

Nemesis  which we are happy with . . . . Haven’t had any other 

Just purchased the Wraith but not got round to fitting it yet.  The Wraith and Nemesis look much the same in the way they are fitted and I wasn't sure which to go for.  What swung it for me was that the Nemesis is advertised as Thatcham Cat 3 standard and the Wraith is Sold Secure Gold standard and it says Sold Secure Gold is two and a half times stronger than Thatcham Cat 3.  Probably advertising baloney but it made my mind up.  Apart from that the Wraith came in a nice solid plastic case.