gilltoot

Vango Air awning Kalari 520

We have a Vango Kalari airawning used it for 2 seasons and all the plastic is degrading and the curtains are all ripping, anybody else had same problem as it was quite expensive 

Hi

Is it used seasonally or just for touring ?

Steve

Yes have had the same problem on a 520 this year. We have put it down to sun degradation. 

We will save the  all the air beams and take the rest to the tip.

We have a 420 so the spares will do for that. 

Mike 

Only just found this thread!

Not impressed, we have bought a secondhand van and Kalari 520 with it two years ago.

Only used the awning a few times, so am now worried that we will have these problems?

Has anyone contacted Vango?

Do the other models have similar issues?

A quick comparison of the materials used in an air awning with say that of an Isabella and the difference is really obvious in terms of weight and structure. I am not surprised that they do not wear well.

An air awning made of the same quality/type of  material as an Isabella would be impossibly  heavy to handle.

Air awnings are heavier than poled awnings size for size and you also often have the problem of fitting them over a window.

And a traditional awning cannot spring a leak in one of it's poles!

We had a Kalari and it was not lighter than our previous Isabella and while it went up perhaps 10 minutes faster it never looked 'right' - especially on a pitch with any sort of slope. Always looked wrinkly and looked even worse when one beam was held up by two brooms lashed together as a result of a split on the heat seal of one of the beam inners!

If you are contemplating an air awning take a look inside one of the beams and look at the tube that is actually inflated - the material it is made of might surprise you.

1 hour ago, The road toad said:

A quick comparison of the materials used in an air awning with say that of an Isabella and the difference is really obvious in terms of weight and structure. I am not surprised that they do not wear well.

An air awning made of the same quality/type of  material as an Isabella would be impossibly  heavy to handle.

Air awnings are heavier than poled awnings size for size and you also often have the problem of fitting them over a window.

Really, how can you state that when Isabella (other makes are available ) make air awnings, are you saying their air awnings are of an inferior quality to their poled ones.

Do you not have to fit poled awnings of the same size as an air awning over a window?

FWIW ...

mmm Air Awnings - its the future ? ......

Just going into year 8 now with an Isabella Magnum 340 Porch with light Carbon poles.

After extensive long & short stay UK & EU use and countless up & downs every year in all extremes of weather & pitches we have just taken it in for three new zippers fitting.

Considered replacing for another new one but the Fabric is still all watertight and sound as are all the poles & fittings - no leaks !   

We (2 persons) usually budget 20 minutes to put up / down. Have put up & down solo also = 30 mins

M

If the OP registered the awning with Vango when it was purchased there will be a 3 year warranty.

One of the air beam outer bags, not the inner tube, on our Kalari split after a year. Vango replaced the entire awning but I dealt with the retailer Attwoolls.

Edit: To be honest I would never get another air awning.

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

4 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Really, how can you state that when Isabella (other makes are available ) make air awnings, are you saying their air awnings are of an inferior quality to their poled ones.

Do you not have to fit poled awnings of the same size as an air awning over a window?

Yes, Isabella do make air awnings as they have to respond to market forces and I would think they are of a much better quality than some other makes.

And yes there are poled awning that will cover a window and obviously that is a combination of personal choice and the design of your van.

But surely it is better to have a full awning - all that space, all that longevity and it will always sit right even on a slope because you can adjust the height.

And, from looking at the responses here, the majority who have tried the air ones would not go have another!

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 09:23, The road toad said:

We had a Kalari and it was not lighter than our previous Isabella and while it went up perhaps 10 minutes faster it never looked 'right' - especially on a pitch with any sort of slope. Always looked wrinkly and looked even worse when one beam was held up by two brooms lashed together as a result of a split on the heat seal of one of the beam inners!

If you are contemplating an air awning take a look inside one of the beams and look at the tube that is actually inflated - the material it is made of might surprise you.

I think all this is a very sensible way of looking at the differences between the two type of awning discussed ,we have taken the odd part exchange Vango/Kampa in as a part exchange awning against another awning ,some of them have had little use over a 2-3 year period and condition has been OK other than degradation in colour ,however we have had people who have used them seasonally and as mentioned the condition hasn't been great and we have politely declined them ,certainly if you are using awnings on a season long basis then a traditional awning with acrylic material and steel/carbon frame would be a better bet and would certainly last a lot longer ,again there are better qualities of awning even amongst traditional variations and the more you pay seems to be an indication of Longevity

You buy your awning and take your chance's ,this week against our advice customer purchased an air awning for permanent pitch purely based on the idea that if it collapses or gets caught in a gale there will be less chance of damage to his caravan ,as regards degradation in the material he says he will take that responsibility .

Steve 

On 19/11/2019 at 16:07, The road toad said:

And, from looking at the responses here, the majority who have tried the air ones would not go have another!

Not me!! 

No way would I go back to a poled awning. I have a Sunncamp Airvolution awning. It is made from very sturdy material (much thicker than Kampa etc) 

I compared all air awnings at the NEC a while ago now, the Sunncamp was the closest in material weight/quality to the vastly more expensive Isabella. If it only lasts half as long as an Isabella air awning, and I have to buy another one, it will STILL be cheaper than an Isabella (who do certainly make VERY good kit, but at a sky high price!) 

As for Steve’s comments I think ALL of the Air awning manufacturers make it VERY clear that they are NOT suitable for seasonal use. For that you need a “Proper” poled variety which cost a lot more money. You really do get what you pay for.  As we tour rather than have a seasonal pitch we don’t need anything more than a decent air awning. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 2

On 17/10/2019 at 10:55, gilltoot said:

We have a Vango Kalari airawning used it for 2 seasons and all the plastic is degrading and the curtains are all ripping, anybody else had same problem as it was quite expensive 

If you purchased your awning new from a retailer and you registered your awning with vango, you may be covered under warranty as they give you an extra year free when registering with them.

So we have a seasonal pitch, but we also take the caravan away twice a year, used to be 4 times but we rent houses now for 2 holidays.

Anyway pre seasonal pitch we had a Sunncamp air porch awning, superb for touring, took the seasonal pitch, used the air awning, it fell apart within 10 months!

So we now have a Bradcot purpose built for seasonal use, again superb, but again not so when touring. I could buy another inflatable porch awning for touring, but until pressure relief valves are fitted I'm not going to, far too many this year have exploded.

I think it's a case of matching ones awning to requirements. Just because they all carry the term "Awning" doesnt make them the same

Edited by Wellys and Mac

Hi

I see Bradcot for the 2020 season are doing an easy air frame option for there conventional awnings ,the option will not be retro so will only be able to be used on canvas produced for March 2020 production onwards

Don't know what these options are going to look like as not seen one yet

Steve

I keep an eye on the weather forecast and if it’s forecast to be bright sunshine, and we are planning on being away from the van during the day, I drop the pressure in the awning tubes by a couple of PSI. Only takes seconds to re-inflate on our return. I don’t trust pressure relief valves. 

Andy

WE have an outdoor revolution awning and it has a safety valve if the pressure is too much, however when we bought it the dealer advised us not to fully inflate it, it works for us and we've had it 3 years now.  As to your awning, it has been said that your's is still under warantee, but I have to question , did you dry it properly before packing it away?