Jump to content
Rosie1234

Lunar Automotive are there still issues?

Recommended Posts

Are there major issues at lunar automotive? Bought a new caravan quite a few weeks ago (after they announced full warranty on caravans coming from the factory following take over) according to the dealer the caravan is awaiting release from the factory (this has been going on 4 weeks) yet lunar can’t give me a straight answer and say they will speak to dealer? When I paid my deposit I was told caravan was made and paid for and just waiting transport to come down. Feel like I am being fobbed off. It’s not a great start for the ‘new company’

anyone else having trouble getting their new caravan?

 

Edited by Rosie1234

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Judging by the recent press release which has been posted on this forum it would appear that new caravans are delayed because of supply issues with parts. I believe although stand corrected that they are not at the Caravan Show which must say something.

However if you were told your Caravan had been built and was ready then someone may be telling a few porkies. If it was ready then transportation is only a few days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This sounds possibly a issue over payment to the old company and if the new company bought the business and stock ?

 

 

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You say you paid a deposit and caravan is paid for is that by you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dealer has already paid for the caravan (although they didn’t specify if recently or before lunar went bust) they were special editions which are only sold by my dealer.  I have paid a deposit (full payment when we eventually collect it)
apparently the sales manager for lunar automotive is at the show. 
the reason for the delay was apparently... the paperwork for the weight etc needed to be sorted but the bank account had been frozen when bust. That surely would have been rectified by now. Just wish someone would give me a straight answer rather than hanging around every week wondering if my caravan is arriving at the dealer.  It makes me wonder if something dodgy is going on as when I called lunar (night as well ask at the source) their sales manager had to ask dealer....

mine is a 2019 model already made. Just sat there waiting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would not have thought dealer would pay before he got your money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Would not have thought dealer would pay before he got your money.

Dealer has never had my money before I collected the van, small deposit excepted.

1 hour ago, Rosie1234 said:

The dealer has already paid for the caravan (although they didn’t specify if recently or before lunar went bust) they were special editions which are only sold by my dealer.  I have paid a deposit (full payment when we eventually collect it)
apparently the sales manager for lunar automotive is at the show. 
the reason for the delay was apparently... the paperwork for the weight etc needed to be sorted but the bank account had been frozen when bust. That surely would have been rectified by now. Just wish someone would give me a straight answer rather than hanging around every week wondering if my caravan is arriving at the dealer.  It makes me wonder if something dodgy is going on as when I called lunar (night as well ask at the source) their sales manager had to ask dealer....

mine is a 2019 model already made. Just sat there waiting.

If the bank account having been frozen makes a problem then presumably the dealer paid the old Lunar. If so he must be at the back of a long Queue I would think and perhaps unlikely to see the goods? As far as I am aware Lunar Automotive did not buy the company as such and presumably bought stock, premises etc?  

 

If dealer bought from the new company one would not have expected any mention of frozen account. If it was a dealer special then I would have thought that it might well have been with the old Lunar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I understood you had paid deposit only but glad it's only a small amount if you walk away and not get it back from him or your credit card provider.

 

Personally I would doubt he pays for caravans before delivery and getting full amount from his customers, do not see how he remains in business if he does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know some manufacturers build batches and dealers then place a order against one of the batch in the future when they  build with any options by the customer which possibly they pay a deposit this case "dealer specials" .

 

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was at the NEC yesterday , Lunar were definitely not present . The numbers seemed well down on previous years .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, stevew1 said:

Was at the NEC yesterday , Lunar were definitely not present . The numbers seemed well down on previous years .

 

Did you look on the robinsons stand and take a peek at their dealer specials that atm until lunar get sorted are based around a swift model?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David 38 said:

Yes I understood you had paid deposit only but glad it's only a small amount if you walk away and not get it back from him or your credit card provider.

 

Personally I would doubt he pays for caravans before delivery and getting full amount from his customers, do not see how he remains in business if he does. 

I think the dealer paid for it when we ordered it, as he said it was paid to the new company. We paid on credit card just in case of any issues. The sales manager from Lunar Automotive is at the NEC so might have a trip up there tomorrow 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Did you look on the robinsons stand and take a peek at their dealer specials that atm until lunar get sorted are based around a swift model?

 

No sorry , we looked at the Kimberley Coachman  special based on the Arcadia , very nice , they have put an armrest on the front nearside  which I always thought was a massive omission on quite a few models . I was mainly there to see the Knaus Starclass & also , I know it sounds weird , the Mobilvetta K yacht 80 . They were both very impressive , I’d have the K yacht tomorrow if it wasn’t for the thieving Government levy on extra tax . I like the rear bed that lowers for night use , it makes the inside feel as big as a caravan , which is something you don’t normally get .

I was at Robinsons on Monday this week taking my Ultima in for repair , the yard was full of Coachman  vans .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/10/2019 at 16:04, Rosie1234 said:

I think the dealer paid for it when we ordered it, as he said it was paid to the new company. We paid on credit card just in case of any issues. The sales manager from Lunar Automotive is at the NEC so might have a trip up there tomorrow 😉

 

 

Any more feedback ?

 

 

 

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the OP would be within their rights to request a full refund of their deposit using S75 of the CCA?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/10/2019 at 15:01, CommanderDave said:

I know some manufacturers build batches and dealers then place a order against one of the batch in the future when they  build with any options by the customer which possibly they pay a deposit this case "dealer specials" .

 

Dave

I cant say this for all manufacturers, but since the crash in 2008, when most used to build for stock, this changed to only build to order, although the dealers place their requirements before the start of the new year in September, so by June the factory knows what is has to build. 

I don't know at what stage they pay, but a credit agreement in involved, but this may depend on individual terms for each dealer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dealers have a stocking plan or stocking line, essentially an amount of money leant to us by a finance company, so we can keep display vehicles for a certain amount of months before we have to pay interest on the amount or pay for it in full (the time for this varies for time of year and the manufacture) and also order stock in for customers.

 

So affectively the finance company owns the asset until the customer collects the van and pays, then dealer pays that amount to the finance company.

 

So if there is a financial issue, its usually the manufacture cant get the vehicle onto the dealers stocking plan/line because its to full (to much stock) the way round this is for the dealer to pay for it themselves, few have a high enough cash flow to do this.

 

I think the main issue with Lunar currently is a dispute between the new owner and the owner of the land, I don't know much but just what the "industry Talk" is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Caravantech said:

dealers have a stocking plan or stocking line, essentially an amount of money leant to us by a finance company, so we can keep display vehicles for a certain amount of months before we have to pay interest on the amount or pay for it in full (the time for this varies for time of year and the manufacture) and also order stock in for customers.

 

So affectively the finance company owns the asset until the customer collects the van and pays, then dealer pays that amount to the finance company.

 

So if there is a financial issue, its usually the manufacture cant get the vehicle onto the dealers stocking plan/line because its to full (to much stock) the way round this is for the dealer to pay for it themselves, few have a high enough cash flow to do this.

 

I think the main issue with Lunar currently is a dispute between the new owner and the owner of the land, I don't know much but just what the "industry Talk" is.

Would finance companies wish to  risk fund stocking finance on assets that have warranty and maintenance issues due to a financially weak or brand stressed  manufacturer?  They may be concerned that the  situation may create unacceptable risk within the borrowing dealership - the risk being that the dealer cannot shift the stock and pay back the debt? If the dealer goes bust as a consequence  then repossessing a load of potentially difficult to sell caravans isn't much use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With all the issues surrounding your purchase, and the uncertainty about parts availability my advice would be that it’s time to walk away. 

 

I appreciate you are are looking forward to getting your caravan but by the sounds of it there are “issues” somewhere in the supply chain. 

 

If it was me I think I would WRITE to the dealer giving them say 14 days to deliver your caravan or the deal is off. There are after all, plenty of other manufacturers dealer specials available from manufacturers who are still up and running.

 

Andy

 

  • +1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

With all the issues surrounding your purchase, and the uncertainty about parts availability my advice would be that it’s time to walk away. 

 

I appreciate you are are looking forward to getting your caravan but by the sounds of it there are “issues” somewhere in the supply chain. 

 

If it was me I think I would WRITE to the dealer giving them say 14 days to deliver your caravan or the deal is off. There are after all, plenty of other manufacturers dealer specials available from manufacturers who are still up and running.

 

Andy

 

That is very good advice. Lunar need to establish renewed brand confidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/10/2019 at 16:04, Rosie1234 said:

I think the dealer paid for it when we ordered it, as he said it was paid to the new company. We paid on credit card just in case of any issues. The sales manager from Lunar Automotive is at the NEC so might have a trip up there tomorrow 😉

your first contact is with the dealer ,  (if you bought a Ford car you wouldn't be going to USA to Talk to the Ford owners )  If he cannot keep his side of the contract then you have every right to cancel and ask for your deposit to be returned to you.   A similar thing happened to me 20 yrs ago with a motor home and I had put down a large deposit. It  took me  a few months to get my deposit back. If you go down this route, keep calm, state what you want , oh and only Talk to the owner / manager. Make a note of everything that's said, even asking them to slow down so that you can write it down, Write down the names and dates and times of contact. If it has to be taken further then you have all the info at your finger tips. good luck.  

  • +1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/10/2019 at 12:01, joanie said:

your first contact is with the dealer ,  (if you bought a Ford car you wouldn't be going to USA to Talk to the Ford owners )  If he cannot keep his side of the contract then you have every right to cancel and ask for your deposit to be returned to you.   A similar thing happened to me 20 yrs ago with a motor home and I had put down a large deposit. It  took me  a few months to get my deposit back. If you go down this route, keep calm, state what you want , oh and only Talk to the owner / manager. Make a note of everything that's said, even asking them to slow down so that you can write it down, Write down the names and dates and times of contact. If it has to be taken further then you have all the info at your finger tips. good luck.  

If I lived in the USA I may well visit ford 😬

On Saturday we will have been waiting 10 weeks!  The problem apparently is with the certificate of Conformity, everything has been signed off... just waiting for LuxControl to send over the paperwork. Apparently the type approval had to be restarted when Lunar Automotive was formed.  There is no NCC approval with the new company until they submit paperwork which I’m not too worried about. My new caravan is just sat there waiting. After visiting the NEC and not really liking any of the new models I’m stuck waiting! I’m fed up of chasing my dealer who I’m sure are as fed up with me chasing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This says a lot for Lunar Automotive - three months ago on their Facebook page, they said they'd have the new models on their website imminently but to date, nothing 🤔.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to agree I would now be asking for my money back. Legally the situation is a little unclear, as there will be nothing in the contract to say the caravan must be delivered by a certain date. That means you fall back on a reasonable time for delivery, but that is not defined but by now it looks unreasonable.

I would write to the dealer and say that the delay is unreasonable and unless the caravan is delivered by say 14 days, from the date of the letter or e mail, you will regard the dealer as being in breach of the contract and require your deposit back. I would write by registered delivery to be sure you can show receipt. If the caravan does not arrive and the dealer refuses to repay the deposit and this was paid by credit card, go to the card issuer for your money back.

Given the current state of Lunar, I think in your position I would rather go elsewhere as the future is unclear, and like us you could be left with a caravan with no guarantee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of this doesn't give much confidence in Lunar Automotive.

I had concerns about changing our 2017 Lunar for a new Lunar Automotive one and decided to hold fire for 12 months to make sure they were still in existence at that time.

Beginning to wonder whether they will ever make it out of the starting blocks now.

I know there are other makes, but cant find anything to suit as much as our Clubman does. Our requirement to have a large enough work surface by the door to place the tv on rules substantially more vans out these days than in.

In deciding to keep it longer than we normally would, have taken out an extended warranty with MG&B Insurance.

Edited by hp100425ev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...