While cleaning my caravan roof( Swift Charisma) I noticed I was able to rotate  the roof

mounted aerial is this normal as sometimes I can get tv reception through this system

But mostly I have to use an external aerial. Surely I don't have to get up to the roof to adjust the tv signal.

Assuming it to be the normal status aerial it can be rotated from inside the van. Just loosen the finger ring turn the shaft then re-tighten.

Thank you Stevan, It never ceases to amaze me what I find out about caravans and this is my 5th year of ownership !

• +1 1

8 hours ago, wildroamer said:

While cleaning my caravan roof( Swift Charisma) I noticed I was able to rotate  the roof

mounted aerial is this normal as sometimes I can get tv reception through this system

But mostly I have to use an external aerial. Surely I don't have to get up to the roof to adjust the tv signal.

If it's a "directional" type aerial then you need to point it towards the nearest TV transmitter at each new site you visit and then re-tune your receiver (the TV?) to match the new (local) transmitter.

Only if you have the "Flying saucer" type (non directional) would you not have to aim it!

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc
afterthought!

Wildroamer, not all caravan aerials are the same of course, but probably the most popular one is adjustable for height, direction and attitude.

You may find something like this inside your van ...

97692472-689D-49C3-92B2-08C687F2FE44.thumb.jpeg.c5f07e6657473dedacd58667445ee82e.jpeg

The large star-shaped collar needs to be undone, then you can grab the stem and turn it to point in the right direction - there’s usually a red dot to indicate the pointy end. You can also raise the aerial by pushing the stem upwards. Then tighten the collar, but don’t overtighten.

If you turn the little crank handle at the bottom of the stem it changes the aerial from horizontal to vertical to provide better reception in some areas.

Use DigitalUK to find the nearest mast to point at ... enter the postcode of the campsite, tick the ‘details’ box and click ‘check’ ... this will give a choice of masts , the distance away, the bearing (use an old-fashioned compass or a phone app) and whether it should be set-up horizontal or vertical (look for H or V in the ‘group’ column).

Also turn the booster/amplifier on (the white box shown in the photo) and then retune the TV.

Don’t forget to retract the aerial in the horizontal position, and point it backwards when travelling.

John.spacer.png

PS, as said, if you have the round ‘mushroom’ aerial - ignore all the above 🙂

Edited by Johnaldo

There’s an app I use for finding transmitters, called Aerial-UK which is great.

11 hours ago, wildroamer said:

Thank you Stevan, It never ceases to amaze me what I find out about caravans and this is my 5th year of ownership !

you say hat  you have owned a caravan for 5 years and have you never noticed the aerial winder in a top cupboard  ?:unsure:

Something else has just sprung to mind which the O.P. might like to note;

When aiming your caravan TV aerial, never rely on where the aerials on other vans are pointing, most of them don’t have a clue.

Always check and note the direction of the Wardens TV aerial (on the campsite office) or nearby houses.

In addition, note whether the aerial reflectors (the stickyout bits) are pointing Vertically or Horizontally (V or H).

The Wardens aerial will have most certainly been erected and aimed professionally as will have most of the local houses so they will be pointing in the right direction and polarised accordingly, unlike the idiot in the van next to me at a club site just outside Wells in Somerset many years ago.

The 1000ft high TV transmitter could be clearly seen from our site on a hill about 5 miles to the north of us so obviously I pointed our aerial straight at it, resulting in an excellent picture following a quick re-tune.

The bloke next door had pointed his aerial more or less due west towards Weston-Super-Mare and was wondering why his picture kept breaking up!

Takes all sorts!

As it happened, I was also testing out my satellite dish now mounted on my newly devised  ground level (and water filled) umbrella base.

Having set up and aimed the dish within a few minutes I shut everything down whilst we went out for lunch.

Upon our return in the late afternoon I switched on the TV and selected Satellite (Freesat), only to be faced with a blank screen!

Puzzled, I went outside to find the problem. All seemed OK initially, dish was facing approx south east, co-ax cables still plugged into the van ???????

Then I spotted the problem. My other neighbour in a camper had parked his pushbike directly   in front of my satellite dish!      :o

Fortunately, foul language is not permitted on this forum.

Vin Blanc

Thank for all your comments i actually have a satellite dish but could never manage to master the set up, all i wanted after a long drive was a beer..We have been lucky most time through our external aerial but there have been times when i felt like chucking to lot out of the window...

Avtex Twig Aerial. Tune TV sit back and enjoy Emmerdale it's that simple, best aerial we have ever had in over 40 years of caravanning, when we change our van the Twig is coming too

16 hours ago, wildroamer said:

Thank for all your comments i actually have a satellite dish but could never manage to master the set up, all i wanted after a long drive was a beer..We have been lucky most time through our external aerial but there have been times when i felt like chucking to lot out of the window...

Perfectly understand your reluctance to venture into satellite wildroamer, I can assure you that it is not an easy subject for a beginner.

To give you some idea of what is involved, "Google" an article I wrote a few years ago for UKCS  entitled  "The art of aiming a satellite dish".

It goes on to describe a couple of "gizmos" that I devised to make aiming the dish a lot quicker and easier.

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc

11 hours ago, Les Medes said:

Avtex Twig Aerial. Tune TV sit back and enjoy Emmerdale it's that simple, best aerial we have ever had in over 40 years of caravanning, when we change our van the Twig is coming too

Not a shared opinion by many. 

In fact I'm away now next to my sister who has an Avtex twig.

My Status directional is giving perfect reception on all channels,  her twig is losing half the channels, and those working are subject to break up and pixellation.

Certainly the twig is less messing about in stronger signal areas, but many sites aren't covered by such strong signals. 

2 hours ago, bspks said:

My Status directional is giving perfect reception on all channels,  her twig is losing half the channels, and those working are subject to break up and pixellation.

Certainly the twig is less messing about in stronger signal areas, but many sites aren't covered by such strong signals. 

I am dreadfully sorry that your sister has an issue with the Twig, I stand by my comments, there is only one site where I have had a poor signal and that site is Plough Lane at Chippenham

13 hours ago, bspks said:

Apparently they are more than useless and many people have swapped them for the status aerial.  Probably the reason why they are no longer fitted onto Elddis caravans.  I think a poster on here IanV8 had his changed to a status aerial.

As I recall, the "twigs" became very unpopular.

Understand that they didn't perform well with Horizontally polarised transmitters, or was it Vertically polarised transmitters?    Can't remember which!

Vin Blanc

My last Coachman had a Twig, totally useless, the dealer fitted a status, brilliant.

With having both types of aerial fitted I could prove just how useless the Twig was.  

Coachman no longer fit Twigs.

2 hours ago, Vin Blanc said:

As I recall, the "twigs" became very unpopular.

Understand that they didn't perform well with Horizontally polarised transmitters, or was it Vertically polarised transmitters?    Can't remember which!

Vin Blanc

Apparently many of the problems were down to the fitment at factory level, I more than happy with mine

The TV Spectrum Planners assume the use of a directional outside aerial to minimise pickup of unwanted interference from other transmitters as well as providing 'gain'.  Add in the polarity change when oriented Horizontal to Vertical to further aid discrimination of the wanted signal to the unwanted. 

Omni-directional/un-polarised aerials can never perform as well in more challenging reception locations.

With the latest reduction in UHF TV transmitting band, aka 700MHz clearance, nearing completion (it will be channels 21-48 only, currently 21-60 and was 21 to 68) such aerial discrimination will likely be needed in more locations.

As far as I can tell Avtex no longer make that 'twig' aerial, which probably says a lot?  https://www.avtex.co.uk/antenna

5 hours ago, Rodders53 said:

The TV Spectrum Planners assume the use of a directional outside aerial to minimise pickup of unwanted interference from other transmitters as well as providing 'gain'.  Add in the polarity change when oriented Horizontal to Vertical to further aid discrimination of the wanted signal to the unwanted. 

Omni-directional/un-polarised aerials can never perform as well in more challenging reception locations.

With the latest reduction in UHF TV transmitting band, aka 700MHz clearance, nearing completion (it will be channels 21-48 only, currently 21-60 and was 21 to 68) such aerial discrimination will likely be needed in more locations.

A

s far as I can tell Avtex no longer make that 'twig' aerial, which probably says a lot?  https://www.avtex.co.uk/antenna

What a shame I love my Twig