SuperRed

Fed up with diesels.

EU 6 -the newest with the 'temp' engine-190bhp twin turbo diesel-flies-never had a diesel before but this thing is a licence loser! Definitely no issue with it feeling strangled!

Given we do a mix of short and long journeys in it, i might try occasionally popping in one of those dpf cleaners into the fuel-not expensive and they help the process along apparently?

Edited by Jezzerb

would you be happy towing with a 1.0l Ecoboost:unsure:

NO been there done that ! Bought the Nav because it has plenty of welly!

14 minutes ago, matelodave said:

Depends what you are towing, I’d imagine a 1100-1200 kg van would be fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

EU 6 -the newest with the 'temp' engine-190bhp twin turbo diesel-flies-never had a diesel before but this thing is a licence loser! Definitely no issue with it feeling strangled!

Given we do a mix of short and long journeys in it, i might try occasionally popping in one of those dpf cleaners into the fuel-not expensive and they help the process along apparently?

When I bought my 3.0 TDi, I was informed by other owners that it needs to be "exercised" occasionally to prevent the turbo vanes sticking as their rapid repositioning is key to avoiding turbo lag - I've certainly never noticed any sluggishness despite having to shift about 2.5 tonnes solo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matelodave said:

Well if you consider the 3.0 Capri was 1150kg kerb weight and a 1970's caravan would be under 1000kg then yes a 1.0 Ecoboost with the same weight outfit today would be a strong performer. Just like the Capri was .

But today we have heavier cars and heavier caravans and the choice of 1.5, 2.0, 2.3 and 3.0 Ecoboost units (Although not in as many models as I'd like)

9 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

Your car is not Euro 6.

No of coarse not. The Euro 6 requirement has been instrumental in the difficulties some manufacturers have had and still have, that wont change when we leave either. I never said it was/would. No problem with that.

Also, I know that cars in obsolescence will progressively be banned. No problem with that.

I wonder which large-economy country has been instrumental in pushing new emissions legislation.

The UK has yes, but the UK has always been ignored on legislative voting, so I cant see it makes any difference. We will never know. 

Nice try, but if you think the UK would still be exporting push-rod cack to the world as part of a global free trade agreement if it wasn’t for the nasty, nasty EU.

No I don't. We will have to fit in with European market requirements or not bother. We wont be able to influence that and never have. No problem with that.

it’s time to put the foil hat on.

:D

PS. I could have said You misunderstood me. I'm not complaining. But, it took me 20 minutes to type this.

3 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

Which car?

3 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

Although DPF cleaners can sometimes help with prevention of a blocked DPF it does not help with the oil dilution issue, that some have,  when fuel ends up in the sump due to failed regens due to short journeys. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, xtrailman said:

Which car?

Navara 190PS 450NM I believe. 0-62 11sec, 114mph.

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Well if you consider the 3.0 Capri was 1150kg kerb weight and a 1970's caravan would be under 1000kg then yes a 1.0 Ecoboost with the same weight outfit today would be a strong performer. Just like the Capri was .

But today we have heavier cars and heavier caravans and the choice of 1.5, 2.0, 2.3 and 3.0 Ecoboost units (Although not in as many models as I'd like)

Hi ll.  Back in the days of having my 3 litre Capri I was towing a single axle Ace Viscount 4/5 berth and it would romp up and over Shap on the M6 Northbound on route to the lakes like it had the rear of the caravan on fire !!

19 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Navara 190PS 450NM I believe. 0-62 11sec, 114mph.

Cracking bit of kit. Albeit a Renault underneath. This engine has found its way into several Mercedes models plus of course the X type is a Navara with some body mods and interior differences. Also available with the 3.0 V6 turbo motor.........Rocket Machine.!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AWanderingLancastrian said:

Hi ll.  Back in the days of having my 3 litre Capri I was towing a single axle Ace Viscount 4/5 berth and it would romp up and over Shap on the M6 Northbound on route to the lakes like it had the rear of the caravan on fire !!

I've towed with many Ford V6's 2.5, 2.8, 2,9 and 3.0  (150bhp to 260bhp) in Granada, Sierra's and Mondeo's. Never had a bad one.

I'd say my Mondeo 3.0V6 and old Challenger was the most effortless outfit I've had in over 30 years. Just ample silky smooth power and solid stability. 

8 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

Cracking bit of kit. Albeit a Renault underneath. This engine has found its way into several Mercedes models plus of course the X type is a Navara with some body mods and interior differences. Also available with the 3.0 V6 turbo motor.........Rocket Machine.!

I drive pickups for work, not driven the 3.0  but Rocket Machine?

0-62 in 9.3 seconds and 121mph?

About the same as a 1.0 Skoda Fabia

1 hour ago, logiclee said:

I've towed with many Ford V6's 2.5, 2.8, 2,9 and 3.0  (150bhp to 260bhp) in Granada, Sierra's and Mondeo's. Never had a bad one.

I'd say my Mondeo 3.0V6 and old Challenger was the most effortless outfit I've had in over 30 years. Just ample silky smooth power and solid stability. 

I drive pickups for work, not driven the 3.0  but Rocket Machine?

0-62 in 9.3 seconds and 121mph?

About the same as a 1.0 Skoda Fabia

Given the size and weight of the Navara, and the back is full of toolboxes and jacks when it’s not full of caravan gear , yes it’s pretty rapid, especially mid range acceleration. If you get the chance to try the V6 it’s quite fun, easily as quick as the big Amarok. Sorry straying off thread here, calm down TD!

• Like 1

Had diesels since mid 80s, current cars are both 2014, never had DPF problems!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, logiclee said:

Although DPF cleaners can sometimes help with prevention of a blocked DPF it does not help with the oil dilution issue, that some have,  when fuel ends up in the sump due to failed regens due to short journeys. 

What about fitting a catch can?  Would it help?

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

What about fitting a catch can?  Would it help?

I wouldn't think it would help with oil dilution caused by repeated incomplete DPF rengen cycles.

It's my understanding that the post cycle injected diesel is washed from the bores directly into the sump.

If every regen is successful then there is little impact between services . For Eu5 cars with a higher limit and no SCR it's easier to close couple the DPF to the engine and passive regens can take place and less active regens are required.

For Eu6 with SCR the DPF has more work to do and is typically not as close coupled. On badly packaged vehicles like the transverse engined JLR models  a passive regen is much harder to achieve so active regens are required more often.  

It's not OK to say I have a long run every couple of weeks. Yes that will keep the DPF clear but every short trip with failed active regen will result in Oil Dilution. 

Some EU6 Evoque/E-Pace/Discovery Sport owners are reporting oil changes required as low as 3000miles.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, logiclee said:

Its not just short journeys with a Mazda a regen is timed on miles, so even those who do only motorway miles can interrupt a regen, we did have two cx-5 owners on this site who did megga miles a year but still ended up on the back of a breakdown trunk, that was in 2013.  Both had oil dilution.

2 hours ago, logiclee said:

I wouldn't think it would help with oil dilution caused by repeated incomplete DPF rengen cycles.

It's my understanding that the post cycle injected diesel is washed from the bores directly into the sump.

If every regen is successful then there is little impact between services . For Eu5 cars with a higher limit and no SCR it's easier to close couple the DPF to the engine and passive regens can take place and less active regens are required.

For Eu6 with SCR the DPF has more work to do and is typically not as close coupled. On badly packaged vehicles like the transverse engined JLR models  a passive regen is much harder to achieve so active regens are required more often.  

It's not OK to say I have a long run every couple of weeks. Yes that will keep the DPF clear but every short trip with failed active regen will result in Oil Dilution. 

Some EU6 Evoque/E-Pace/Discovery Sport owners are reporting oil changes required as low as 3000miles.

I've interrupted regens on at least 5 occasions this year with my Tiguan and can see no oil rise on the dip stick...

2 hours ago, logiclee said:

Thanks our shortest trip is about 30 miles on normal potholed roads once a week.  Our vehicle is mainly used for towing and I guess even a short distance towing would be beneficial.  In between the car can sit for several days without being used.  When we do use it, I start the engine and let it run for a couple of minutes before moving off.

Yes ours is a Navara-how do you know the dpf is regenerating-don't think there is any sign of it or light on the dash-is it just guess work-we don't want to interrupt it if it is underway?

3 hours ago, xtrailman said:

Its not just short journeys with a Mazda a regen is timed on miles, so even those who do only motorway miles can interrupt a regen, we did have two cx-5 owners on this site who did megga miles a year but still ended up on the back of a breakdown trunk, that was in 2013.  Both had oil dilution.

I've interrupted regens on at least 5 occasions this year with my Tiguan and can see no oil rise on the dip stick...

5 is nothing.

The early Mazda units had a specific issue but it's not the same as the current JLR issue. 

More modern systems can measure the DPF contents, and active regens are only asked for when needed.  Can't say for sure but from what I've read the transverse EU6 Ingenium can be asking for a regen every journey if it doesn't complete and dpf levels are high so you can get into state of mutilple failed regens a day if you are not careful.

Lee

2 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

Yes ours is a Navara-how do you know the dpf is regenerating-don't think there is any sign of it or light on the dash-is it just guess work-we don't want to interrupt it if it is underway?

I think I read on here that when you stop the engine and if the fan is running when unexpected it can be sign a regen was happening.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

I think I read on here that when you stop the engine and if the fan is running when unexpected it can be sign a regen was happening.

Yes, this happens on many cars.

5 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

On many cars the on board computer display also shows dramatically worse fuel consumption during the regen. On mine, the instant consumption figure at tick over increases from 0.1g/h to 0.3g/h.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

It’s easy to tell when the Passat is doing a DPF regen as;

The stop start becomes inactive

It idles at about 1100rpm (800rpm normally)

It generally feels less smooth at lower speeds

The instantaneous economy collapses

The fan will come on if you stop mid regen but it also stays on if the regen has recently finished 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

I never heard a fan running on my xtrail DPF diesel in the 4.5 years i owned it, and got no noticeable oil rise, nor on two DPF Mazdas over 6 years, only ever heard the fan running with the Tiguan, and according to Frank Bullet the regen may have completed...

Its a shame manufacturers don't disclose how they regens work or give a clear indication one is in progress (although i have read that some Fiats do or did) as some or obviously better systems than others.

• Like 1