Sign in to follow this  
BOAC

Have you ever had a water pump stolen on site?

I am working on a device to stop water pumps from being stolen, and I want to know if it is worth pursuing.

Have you had a water pump stolen whilst caravanning?

Did you find it afterwards or was it gone forever?

Thanks

No, not yet!

• Like 1
  • +1 1

They’d have a job with ours. . . . It’s inside 

• Haha 3
  • +1 3

Once, many years ago.  We did hear it about 2 in the morning but didn’t think anything of it.  This was at Eastnor Castle about 25 years ago.

Very inconvenient, and expensive.  Not sure what you have in mind to secure.

John

A very rare incident in my experience so would think twice in perusing plus pumps are relatively cheap ...  Did have the bulb stolen from my awning light once ... 

GAS ..

Edited by Grumpy Auld Smeesh

No - but  someone on this forum had their loo cassette pinched and found out when their child did number two's!

• Haha 1

In response to your question, I've not had one stolen in the 5 years I've been caravanning.

As a pump only costs about £15-20 it's not a big deal is it?

Inconvenient, yes, but hardly worth buying something to stop it being stolen.

I carry a spare anyway, because when my last one failed I had to go and find a shop that sold one.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

about £15-20 it's not a big deal is it?

They don’t just take the pump but the whole assembly.  A quick search shows £57:99 for mine.  I do carry a spare pump, £35.  But that’s useless if the assembly is stolen.

Dare say I could get them a little cheaper with a bit of shopping around.

John

12 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

In response to your question, I've not had one stolen in the 5 years I've been caravanning.

I carry a spare anyway, because when my last one failed I had to go and find a shop that sold one.

theft is a big deal and for some, £15 - £20 is a lot of money.

macafee2

• +1 1

Are you making it for yourself, or with a view to marketing it?

If it’s for yourself, crack on. If it’s  commercial, can you knock something out for a fiver or less? Any more than that, I can’t see you getting many customers, it’s not something most people will consider a risk, nor worth protecting, given that it’s a relatively cheap part, and low risk of it getting nicked. 

Have you asked caravan parts suppliers if they think there’s a market? Or if they’d be prepared to buy and stock it?

• Thanks 1

I started a thread a few months ago asking about stuff being stolen and in fact very little seems to be stolen.

If the OP is looking at making money from it, from the thread I started there may not be much or indeed any money in it.

macafee2

29 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

If the OP is looking at making money from it, from the thread I started there may not be much or indeed any money in it.

macafee2

No, making money is not my intention but suggesting my possible idea on here would be satisfying - if it works. We shall see.

• Like 1

No, not had anything stolen on site. Had a toilet cassette stolen, but the van was on our drive.

nanamel

Had the whole van stolen from the dealer forecourt before we collected it - but never lost any ancillary equipment!

We carry a second external pump in case we have a failure with the first one - in practice have never needed it.

Cheers

Keith

• Like 2

2 hours ago, daveat92 said:

£90 for some!

1 hour ago, BOAC said:

No, making money is not my intention but suggesting my possible idea on here would be satisfying - if it works. We shall see.

Manufacturers might just be a tad reluctant to alter a product at their expense which leads to fewer purchases!!

1 hour ago, SamD said:

£90 for some!

Manufacturers might just be a tad reluctant to alter a product at their expense which leads to fewer purchases!!

£90 for an external pump????!!!!!

The most expensive one I could see at a quick glance was only £39.

An Aquaroll costs less than that.

If it's an internal one it won't be stolen.

Usually a load of secondhand pumps for sale on eBay but strange as you usually find they re sold by the same person.

On some sites they steal pumps and also the aquaroll unless chained and Pumps go about 20+ and a aquaroll about 40 on eBay .

Dave

Had the battery stolen whilst van in storage. :angry:Thieving so & so's stole a few others at different times.

They even had the cheek to put cables back and lock the compartment door so the theft wasn't noticed for a while. :angry:

Edited by Yorkshire Man
Double wording

Some toe rag cut through the lanyard of my wastemaster lid and nicked it.  I can't think why on earth they had to cut it and not just take the lot.  Reported to site staff that someone was walking around with a sharp knife and they couldn't give a hoot.  Last time I go to that site.

I had two hubcaps nicked about 30 years ago, neighbour gave me two off a Nissan that fitted fine. 

We had our good pump swapped for a faulty one while on a commercial site.  Happen while we were out for the day.  Replacement pumps are generally around the £50 mark. 

2 minutes ago, Easy T said:

I had two hubcaps nicked about 30 years ago, neighbour gave me two off a Nissan that fitted fine. 

A friend ha done missing on his VW.  On coming out the pub, he was offered one of a couple of quid.  He paid and the guy even fitted it.   He later found out that the hubcap on the other side of the car was missing.  He had been sold his own hubcap!  :D

9 hours ago, daveat92 said:

£90 for an external pump????!!!!!

The most expensive one I could see at a quick glance was only £39.

An Aquaroll costs less than that.

If it's an internal one it won't be stolen.

Your glance was too quick!

https://www.primaleisure.com/product/1150063?gclid=Cj0KCQjwoqDtBRD-ARIsAL4pviAsMknEG7JwF6xI_56BfSyh3E7Kvd6rq9Tx4ekSar923unvfGgGqV0aAm2cEALw_wcB

44 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

We had our good pump swapped for a faulty one while on a commercial site.  Happen while we were out for the day.  Replacement pumps are generally around the £50 mark. 

I have seen that happen on a site . The guy just walked up and took the pump out of the aquaroll and put another which I take is his and this was in daylight and on a commercial site .

But I would not trust any sites including club sites as anyone can be a member of a club after someone tried to open some of my lockers on a CMC site a couple of months ago . 

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

5 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

A friend ha done missing on his VW.  On coming out the pub, he was offered one of a couple of quid.  He paid and the guy even fitted it.   He later found out that the hubcap on the other side of the car was missing.  He had been sold his own hubcap!  :D

Mine were flat disc inserts on a caravan and were taken whilst we were asleep. 

Over nearly 30 years I have never had anything stolen or interfered with, maybe I'm lucky but I tend  to find that fellow campers are as honest as the day that way.....

• +1 1